Problem with favorites list

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEvil

I'm having trouble getting my scanner to correct monitor a custom favorites list that I made and was hoping someone could shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

I build special favorites lists sometimes based on the areas I want to monitor (Los Angeles is so densely populated, and has so many different agencies, systems, and frequencies that its actually more efficient than using GPS or Zip Code for me to make my own location based favorites).

For example, when in the San Fernando Valley, I have a favorites list of the corresponding LAPD, LAFD, and CHP channels for those areas called "Sherman Oaks"

I break it down further by assigning those agencies quick keys for quick on/off toggle.

In Hollywood/LA city I have the LAPD/LAFD and CHP channels for that area in another favorites list called "Hollywood"

I created a favorites list that combines both of these (sort of a greatest hits of the areas I'm in most of my day) called "shoakswood" but I noticed that even though that favorites lists contains the two sub lists "Sherman Oaks" and "Hollywood" that it actually only monitors/acknowledges the Sherman Oaks part of the favorite list.

I've tried everything, changing settings, renaming, assigning quick keys, making sure "download" and "monitor" are ON in sentinel etc, but all to no avail.

Any tips?

here's a link to the HPE file if you want to take a peek.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33A_Ad8ypsEci14MWxyQlZGS1U/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Problem with favorite list

I'm having trouble getting my scanner to correct monitor a custom favorites list that I made and was hoping someone could shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

I build special favorites lists sometimes based on the areas I want to monitor (Los Angeles is so densely populated, and has so many different agencies, systems, and frequencies that its actually more efficient than using GPS or Zip Code for me to make my own location based favorites).

For example, when in the San Fernando Valley, I have a favorites list of the corresponding LAPD, LAFD, and CHP channels for those areas called "Sherman Oaks"

I break it down further by assigning those agencies quick keys for quick on/off toggle.

In Hollywood/LA city I have the LAPD/LAFD and CHP channels for that area in another favorites list called "Hollywood"

I created a favorites list that combines both of these (sort of a greatest hits of the areas I'm in most of my day) called "shoakswood" but I noticed that even though that favorites lists contains the two sub lists "Sherman Oaks" and "Hollywood" that it actually only monitors/acknowledges the Sherman Oaks part of the favorite list.

I've tried everything, changing settings, renaming, assigning quick keys, making sure "download" and "monitor" are ON in sentinel etc, but all to no avail.

Any tips?

here's a link to the HPE file if you want to take a peek.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33A_Ad8ypsEci14MWxyQlZGS1U/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Edit your systems and make sure under System Quick Key Status that the boxes are checked that correspond to your departments you wish to monitor.

JamesO

Shoakswood is not in the link you provided unless you are saying the Shoakswood file is your favorites for the 2 agencies.

Issue may be due to the Department Quick Keys?? Sherman Oaks is 1, Hollywood is 2, if this is a Favorites list of the "Greatest Hits" assume you would either want the same Department Quick Key or you need to make sure Department Quick Key 2 is turned on.

Also although your configuration does not appear to be using location control, some sites have Lat/Long info and a distance, some are left blank.

Last edited:

BigEvil

First off thanks for the responses, I appreciate you taking the time.
Here's a few screen shots in case anyone goes "oh, thats it...."

Shoakswood is indeed the favorites list that I'm referring to. Its comprised of two different things inside it (Sherman Oaks, and Hollywood) which are System Quick keys 1 and 2. (I most certainly have both toggled on, but for some reason it's not scanning anything other than SQK1 - Sherman Oaks)

Within Sherman Oaks, you have LAPD, LAFD and CHP (Department Quickeys 1,2,3)
and Within Hollywood you have , LAPD, LAFD, CHP, LACountyFD (Department Quick Keys 1,2,3,4)

It's a mix bag for modes but none of it is trunked. All are conventional however LAPD is P25 audio while LAFD, LACountyFD and CHP are traditional non-digital.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Cannot tell from those screen shots what FQKs, SQKs, and DQKs are enabled. If the SQK for Sherman Oaks is disabled, it wouldn't scan that system.
Within Sherman Oaks, of any of the DQKs are disabled, they wouldn't scan.

Also, cannot tell what service types the channels are in those departments, nor whether the service types in use are enabled.

Cannot tell if Location Control is enabled for the Favorites List (and if it is enabled, whether your set location corresponds to the locations of the Sherman Oaks elements).

Also, if there are only a few channels in the Sherman Oaks system, it is possible that the system is being scanned so quickly you are just not seeing the scanner's pass through the system. You might program the local NOAA channel into Sherman Oaks, enable the service type for the channel, and see if the scanner stops on it (and if it doesn't, leave it programmed in until you determine whether it is a SQK, DQK, or some other factor).

BigEvil

Thanks UPman as always for your continued dedication to the hobby and your non-stop support on these forums.

I indeed have all FQKs, SQKs and DQKs enabled (confirmed both in sentinel and also on the scanner itself). The service types are either Law Dispatch,Talk or Tac, and Fire Dispatch, talk and tac but I've got all service types enabled for the scanner (in sentinel and the scanner).

I can try throwing the NOAA in both Sherman Oaks and Hollywood and seeing if it stops on the hollywood one (since thats the department its not scanning) but I have a feeling I'm missing something else....

location control is off.

some additional screenshots.

Thanks so much again!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This may be obvious, but you do realize you have a lot of stuff avoided? Like the complete department of "CHP Shoaks".

BigEvil

I do indeed. Though for a department I know I could enable/disable quick keys but I've gotten into the habit of locking out channels (like in my LAPD list) because I'll manually avoid/unavoid a channel if I go through an area or if a pursuit happens and I want to listen to a specific Tac or Channel as opposed to enabled the entire group of tac channels.

BigEvil

For what its worth, if I manually enable/disable the SQKs from the Scanner (both of which are enabled) then whichever one is left (1 for sherman oaks, 2 for hollywood) will start to scan. If I re-enable it then it doesn't bring the 2nd system back in. Confirmed for both systems, I can post a video to show.

JoeyC

I loaded your .hpe file. All looks fine and it works fine on mine. It looks as if you have all Depts OFF in the Hollywood system (2) and thus nothing will scan in it. (system 1 blinks and 2 stays solid) Make sure you turn ON a department with the full FL.S.D quickkey sequence for it to be able to scan within system 2.

BigEvil

As per my screenshots and also the vid it seems they're all enabled. Not sure what else I'm doin wrong !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyC

It appears in your video, when you turn off system 1 there is nothing else to scan in FL 12 so that is what leads me to believe that you have (inadvertently) turned off depts in system 2 for FL12. It is very easy to lose track of what depts are enabled/disabled with these scanners as there isn't a clear picture on the screen. I'd reload from the programming file and pay close attention to key presses to ensure that you aren't turning off depts in system 2 without being aware of it.

BigEvil

I did double check to make sure ALL departments were enabled (see screenshots above). I also re-loaded the scanner but it still didn't help....

JamesO

As a quick test, turn of/remove the quick keys in the software. anything without Quick Keys will scan by default. If you cannot get this to scan then you have a problem other than quick key settings.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

BigEvil

Just tried and it unfortunately did not alleviate the problem.
I'm wondering if its the way I've programmed it.

I'm at my wits end with respect to executing on the programming here.
Anyone want to tutor/help me ? Happy to pay you for your time.

JoeyC

Assuming there is a DQK 1, key in 12.2.1 until it shows 12.02.01=ON

Does the 2 in the System list above (S0:12******) still show solid (where the 1 for ShermanOaks system blinks)?

BigEvil

I've gotta think that it has less to do with a SQK/DQK configuration and more to do with the approach I've been taking to program it.

I perhaps have been using favorites lists not as they were intended. I like to use them for locations (like Sherman Oaks, or Hollywood) because there's so many different agencies and channels that change so rapidly from area to area. If using FL isn't the way to go for this I'm all ears.

Because Los Angeles is SO insanely diverse, densely populated and served by such a large number of agencies (with each agency having separate divisions, tacs, dispatch for each area) its hard to simply turn on / off a whole department, system or service type.

Here’s a really really simple example of why it’s challenging for me especially in LA.

If I'm driving down sunset blvd from silverlake to beverly hills (roughly only a 8 mile stretch) I will need to change which group of LAPD channels I'm monitoring 3-4 times (Rampart, Northeastern, Hollywood, then West Los Angeles(or Pacific). I don't typically have any interest in hearing/listening to something happening in one of the other divisions if I'm not presently in it or near it.

As I go through each division I'll need to hear the dispatch, simplex, and whatever tac and traffic services that particular division.

In this particular example because I stay south of Mulholland Drive (a major dividing road in LA County) I luckily can stay on the LA City Fire channels and TACs that serve that area BUT as I pass through West Hollywood (which isn't served by LAPD or LAFD) I'll need to pickup LA County Fire and LA County Sheriff (once again, not the whole departments, just the channels and tacs for West Hollywood). Then I'll drop those and want to pick up Beverly Hills PD and Fire. Should I go another mile or two more then I'll want to pickup CHP (but just for this area, once again no use hearing them run a plate somewhere 40 minutes away).

This is one of a large amount of commutes/ monitoring combos that I like to do. When I go from Sherman Oaks to Hollywood its a whole other batch of fun. Same goes with driving north up to Santa Clarita, or heading east to Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank. etc.

Because of the way the Departments and Systems themselves are setup (LAPD has a Dispatch group, a Tac group, a Simplex Group, Traffic Group....) it further complicates programming in sentinel because its just just copying/pasting a bunch of channels always...

Any help is greatly greatly appreciated! I'm overwhelmed to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.