Problem with favorites list

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Achieving that degree of granularity would be difficult, though not impossible.

You could set new locations, new rectangles and ranges that are more accurate - and use GPS. It could all be done with quick keys, but personally, I'd only want one "region" or maybe two on at a time to keep scan speed reasonable.

Now even though it's doable, I sure as hell would not want to do it :)

If there are any changes maintenance would be a PITA.

BigEvil

Achieving that degree of granularity would be difficult, though not impossible.

Now even though it's doable, I sure as hell would not want to do it :)

If there are any changes maintenance would be a PITA.

Yea, I agree with all of that, but it's the ambition and I know the scanner can handle it.

That's why I'm posting my goal here, maybe someone will go "oh wait, no no.... try THIS:"

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was hesitant about jumping in as I am unfamiliar with your area. Also, setting up scanners and Favorites Lists is a lot like picking paint colors. What one likes may be horrible to another. However, I agree with you, what you want to do can be done.

I downloaded your HPE file and looked at it. If it was me, here's what I'd do:.

I'd create two Favorites Lists. FL 1 would be Sherman Oaks. FL 2 would be Hollywood.

In Sherman Oaks, I'd create three Systems: LAPD, LAFD and CHP.

In the LAPD System, I'd create two Departments. One would be those frequencies that are presently unavoided, the second would be for those you have avoided (but do not avoid those). Then in the Department Quick Key Status, I'd uncheck the DQK you assign to the frequencies you don't want to listen to. That keeps them inactive until you deliberately press in the sequence to turn that department on, for example 1.0.2.

I'd create a LAFD Department in the LAFD system. In the CHP System, I'd create a CHP department.

For the Hollywood FL, I'd do four systems, LAPD, LAFD, LAcoFD, and CHP. Same principle as above, one department for the "active" channels, another department for those you presently have avoided. Same pattern for the other systems - one or two departments depending upon whether you presently "avoid" channels and unchecking DQK status as appropriate.

The bottom line is this is just re-organizing what you have. It'll take some programming time, but I think you can get what you want.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Let me try something

See if there is an attachment and if it works for you. If not, PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send the files that way.

Did some messing around to see if I could do what I suggested and came up with something. There are two HPE files included - one for Sherman Oaks, the other for Hollywood (despite what the zip file name is).

View attachment 45536

Last edited:

BigEvil

I'm so thankful for this help, I think your idea is genius. I'm away from my scanner for the weekend but will try plugging this into my sentinel app and seeing how it looks!

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
One thing is that I remember something from a while back that may apply here.

It was a discussion between I believe AZ and UPMan and it involved having multiple channels with some avoided and some not and not scanning any of them which that applied to.

Something about the avoided ones affecting the unavoided ones to make the unavoided ones not scanned.

I'm sorry my memory isn't that great but maybe you can find out more info about it and this could be the issue??

BigEvil

So after the incredible advice/guidance I took a whole new fresh approach.
one thing ofd did which was incredible is color coding alerts etc, I've gotta update mine.
Here's a work in progress. It's incredibly more capable and in depth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33A_Ad8ypsEOVVPNTFQcjhWYms/edit?usp=sharing

Basically, I created a System for each LAPD, LAFD (and soon to be LASD, CHP, LAcoFD) etc.

then departments within each system for either the specific division (in LAPDs case) or the area, (in LAFDs case).

Once I get used to it, I can pre configure the quick keys as I'd normally use, and then quickly easily toggle on/off locations as I pass through them.

BigEvil

After a few intense hours I finally got this Favorites List for everything I intend on scanning in LA. Here's the problem, its still not scanning correctly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33A_Ad8ypsEcW5QWEkwVEh3Z1U/edit?usp=sharing

I usually scan by Holding but if I do that it stays on the last system and not all in the group. I can't toggle/scroll through the systems in the favorite list because only one (not all 7) show up(regardless of quick key enable/disable status of system, department, etc)....

any help/advice!?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've got your Favorites List loaded up in Sentinel. Nothing is jumping out at me. You have set some departments (groups) to be on by default and others off by default. For example on LAFD: Air Ops, South of Mulholland, Other tacticals and supplemental tacticals are off with everything else being on.

I suspect you have hit the System hold button which tells your scanner that the only thing you want to hear is that particular system and no others. When there's a system hold, the only things you will be scrolling through are those in that system, for example LAFD. You won't be able to scroll to LAPD, LA Co FD, CHP or any other systems if you are holding on LAFD.

You may wish to try a different approach. Rather "scanning by holding", you might try "scanning by quick keys" where you are turning off (or on) quick keys associated with the things you want to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.