Icom Problem with icom ic-r9000 tuning wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notescucho

Hello friends. I have an Icom IC-R9000.
It was working well but for some reason I needed to have a look into the tuning wheel and this is what happend:

I disassembled the big tuning wheel.
Then I removed a metal cover.
Then I removed the cogwheel (or gearwheel).
Then I assembled all again without any problem.
Then the tuning wheel started doing strange things: if I turn the tuning wheel to one side sometimes the frequency goes up and other times it goes down.

Can anybody help me?

I attach an image.

Thank you in advance.

Miguel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190615-153935__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190615-153935__01.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 23

Notescucho

Thank you very much for your reply. It can't be loose because it has three holes that avoid it. What do you mean with binding? Do you suggest that it can be blended? I have no experience with this components.

Thank you.

GB46

I've been wondering why you took it apart if it was already working properly.

Notescucho

:) Simple: the dial was very hard. I opened it to see if there were any mechanical problem, and now I have two problems. Anyway I think I know were the problem is.

The wheel is very thin. It is very easy to blend. I think I could blend it a bit when I removed it.

There are two solutions: change the wheel (difficult to find), and try to straight it (also difficult).

Thank you for your comments / experiences / suggestions.

Regards

majoco

Stirrer
Did you remove that bit of PC board with the two LED's and opto detectors at the top? See the slots in the disk? Well, the detectors have to be aligned to half the width of one of those slots - then it will be able to detect which way the disk is turning by which one gets covered or uncovered first. You should not have takent the disk off.

Notescucho

Hello guys! I also agree, but I didn't know how thin it was. I'm trying to straight the encoder disc. I will tell you what happens.

I removed the tuning knob, I cleaned it, put new oil and now it turns easy as it would.

Let see if the encoder works. I'm trying to straight it with two cristals (see pic).

Regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190623-115432.jpg
    Screenshot_20190623-115432.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 21

db_gain

Apparently a binding tuning wheel isn't uncommon. Some of them can be brought around by applying some alcohol to the shaft to dissolve the hardened grease, then after drying, apply a few drops of light machine oil and work the tuner to ensure the lubrication gets where it's needed.

Some encoders will need an alignment after some years as part values change, this procedure may be found in a service manual, or you can suss it out via a oscilloscope and screwdriver or other tuning tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.