Problem with my Feed Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM317

Hi All,

I have an old Compaq Presario V2000 running XP Home Edition that I use for a scanner feed. It hasn't beeen cleaned out in sometime so I thought it would be best to refresh it and bring it back to factory settings. With said, I put the XP disk in and after a few minutes of processing, this appeared, "Windows could not start becuse the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file"

I have researched all over the net to find a fix for it however, what I do type in during the recovery mode doesn't seem to work.

Anyone with any suggestions and/or recommendations, please contact me. Thank you very much in advance!

JM317

CapStar362

condition of the CD? scratches fingerprints? did you get this in the setup or after xp installed itself?

JM317

the CD is untouched, was sitting in the box in the basement for many years, I even cleaned it off to insure that. I received the error message about 15 minutes into the install. I am going to try attempting it again later tonight... Thank you for your message CapStar362!

CapStar362

sounds like memory error, just try it again, if it fails again, grab a ISO copy of MEMTEST86+ and check your memory

n0nhp

Might also try booting from the CD and doing a clean install. In other words delete the parition(s) on the HD, create a new partition and format it. Then install. If it is an OEM restore disk, as soon as it comes up, clean the crap-ware off and defrag it. Then start updating it.

Good luck

N0IU

Been here? NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt. It appears that several other computer forums point to this one.

Also, are you doing a fresh install or are you installing it over your existing copy? If you are installing it over your existing copy, make sure to turn off your virus protection software since some of them, AVG for one, see this file (and other files that affect the boot sector) as a virus and won't install it!

JM317

Thank you to all who responded, the computer took the CD and successfully installed the Home Edition without any difficulties.

Thank you again for all your help!

CapStar362

Actually... there's a little something called: How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

All of the solutions I would have suggested are posted. Bad CD drive, memory, CD, etc.

Polter, you need the CD First to do a repair........ you CANNOT re-install Windows from within windows!

the only way is to boot from the CD first after BIOS makes it POST

now before anyone gets on my case, YES you CAN invoke the setup process from within windows by putting the CD in the drive and start it, but it will ultimately reboot your computer and start the setup process from the CD.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Been here? NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt. It appears that several other computer forums point to this one.

Also, are you doing a fresh install or are you installing it over your existing copy? If you are installing it over your existing copy, make sure to turn off your virus protection software since some of them, AVG for one, see this file (and other files that affect the boot sector) as a virus and won't install it!

not the same error.

N0IU

not the same error.
Well it is a moot point anyway since the OP has apparently fixed the problem, but in his opening post JM317 said:
...this appeared, "Windows could not start becuse the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
JM317
The link in my response is to a thread in a computer forum that specifically addresses the issue of "NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt"

So how is this not the same error???

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Well it is a moot point anyway since the OP has apparently fixed the problem, but in his opening post JM317 said:

The link in my response is to a thread in a computer forum that specifically addresses the issue of "NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt"

So how is this not the same error???

my mistake...I didn't read the post right the second time :)

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Polter, you need the CD First to do a repair........ you CANNOT re-install Windows from within windows!

the only way is to boot from the CD first after BIOS makes it POST

now before anyone gets on my case, YES you CAN invoke the setup process from within windows by putting the CD in the drive and start it, but it will ultimately reboot your computer and start the setup process from the CD.

I quoted you in saying "he IS booting from the CD. he is trying to re-install windows, you cant do that from within windows.".

So he has the CD or not? :lol:

I know you can't reinstall Windows from within Windows, but the other option was a repair install...

Last edited:

CapStar362

I quoted you in saying "he IS booting from the CD. he is trying to re-install windows, you cant do that from within windows.".

So he has the CD or not? :lol:

I know you can't reinstall Windows from within Windows, but the other option was a repair install...

oh boy, yes he has the CD. the point is that you NEED a CD to do either option.

Status
Not open for further replies.