Problem With one Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, just a quick issue I'm trying to resolve... Scanner is a Bearcat BCD325P2 connected to rooftop antenna. It's working great and I can receive stuff 30+ miles away. One issue I'm having all of a sudden is one particular digital law enforcement frequency:

Carroll County Sheriff Dispatch - 154.86000 in Carroll County, NH

I live right in their service area and fairly close to their transmit sites. For some reason their transmissions come in broken, like they are quickly keying and un-keying the mic when speaking. When it does come in, it's clear. It happens on both the dispatch transmissions and the field unit transmissions. The same dispatch center uses a second frequency for their "North" division, which is much farther away from me but comes in clear and is not broken.

I'm not sure if this might be a simulcast issue with multiple transmit sites?

A little more to the story... I just moved and set up my scanner and antenna at my new house which is at a higher elevation and I have better reception now then I did at my old location. Is it possible I'm getting two of their transmit sites now when I was only getting one before? This is a new development wince setting the scanner up at my new house.

The other part of the equation is, I tried my Whistler TRX-1 scanner with the same antenna setup and it does NOT have this issue on this frequency. It seems to only be with the Bearcat. But I prefer to use the Bearcat because the audio quality is much better. I did also re-program my scanner before connecting it, so I don't know if I mistakenly turned a setting on or off for this frequency while programming. The one setting I did play with was the ATT setting, which I have no idea what it does. It was turned on for several other frequencies and I turned if off for those frequencies. It's possible it was turned on for this problem frequency and I turned it off as well. Would this have anything to do with it? I don't know enough about all the scanner features.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thee attenuator (ATT) reduces the signal level to the scanner. It can be used if the receiver is being overloaded. The normal setting is Off. The Carroll Co Sheriff frequency has both a digital and analog Mode. The frequency should be entered twice, one digital with a 117 NAC and the other analog with a 136.5 PL. The P25 is digital and the FMN is analog.

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
154.86000 KJP500 RM117 NACCarrollShrrfCarroll Sheriff (digital) P25 Law Dispatch
154.86000 KJP500 RM136.5 PLCarrollShrrfCarroll Sheriff (analog) FMN Law Dispatch

ecps92

Likely the same issue as you have asked about with the Regional Fire.

They have multiple sites they can select.
Cruisers can select Repeaters A, B, D and E on that Freq where C is on 155.5350

Last I knew they did not simulcast at the same time, they individually [Dispatch and on the Street] select which repeater they need/want

Hey all, just a quick issue I'm trying to resolve... Scanner is a Bearcat BCD325P2 connected to rooftop antenna. It's working great and I can receive stuff 30+ miles away. One issue I'm having all of a sudden is one particular digital law enforcement frequency:

Carroll County Sheriff Dispatch - 154.86000 in Carroll County, NH

I live right in their service area and fairly close to their transmit sites. For some reason their transmissions come in broken, like they are quickly keying and un-keying the mic when speaking. When it does come in, it's clear. It happens on both the dispatch transmissions and the field unit transmissions. The same dispatch center uses a second frequency for their "North" division, which is much farther away from me but comes in clear and is not broken.

I'm not sure if this might be a simulcast issue with multiple transmit sites?

A little more to the story... I just moved and set up my scanner and antenna at my new house which is at a higher elevation and I have better reception now then I did at my old location. Is it possible I'm getting two of their transmit sites now when I was only getting one before? This is a new development wince setting the scanner up at my new house.

The other part of the equation is, I tried my Whistler TRX-1 scanner with the same antenna setup and it does NOT have this issue on this frequency. It seems to only be with the Bearcat. But I prefer to use the Bearcat because the audio quality is much better. I did also re-program my scanner before connecting it, so I don't know if I mistakenly turned a setting on or off for this frequency while programming. The one setting I did play with was the ATT setting, which I have no idea what it does. It was turned on for several other frequencies and I turned if off for those frequencies. It's possible it was turned on for this problem frequency and I turned it off as well. Would this have anything to do with it? I don't know enough about all the scanner features.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, appreciate it. I don't think I have the analog one programmed because I didn't this it was actually used, except as a backup. That was just a guess though. I'll program the analog as well and see what happens

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Likely the same issue as you have asked about with the Regional Fire.

They have multiple sites they can select.
Cruisers can select Repeaters A, B, D and E on that Freq where C is on 155.5350

Last I knew they did not simulcast at the same time, they individually [Dispatch and on the Street] select which repeater they need/want

Thanks, I'm glad you remember the issue I was having the the fire dispatch. Believe it or not, I turned off the ATT setting that on on for that frequency and the problem is much better now. That's why I was thinking I inadvertently did the same for the digital Sheriff dispatch freq, when it really should be turned on.

ecps92

Yes the Analog is back-up, but the P25 they can/do select each repeater as needed.

Thanks, appreciate it. I don't think I have the analog one programmed because I didn't this it was actually used, except as a backup. That was just a guess though. I'll program the analog as well and see what happens

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so I did have both the digital and analog frequencies in there, with correct corresponding info. Just for fun I turned ON on ATT setting for the frequency. Now I can only hear the field units, not dispatch at all. So I’ll turn that back off. Back to the drawing board on the broken transmissions…

ecps92

Some makes mute ENC transmissions, been awhile [2 yrs] since I have been in that area, but maybe Dispatch is ENC and units CLR and/or you are close enough to the Repeater the Cruiser is using, but too far for the Dispatch selected Repeater.... keep experimenting
Ok, so I did have both the digital and analog frequencies in there, with correct corresponding info. Just for fun I turned ON on ATT setting for the frequency. Now I can only hear the field units, not dispatch at all. So I’ll turn that back off. Back to the drawing board on the broken transmissions…

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Some makes mute ENC transmissions, been awhile [2 yrs] since I have been in that area, but maybe Dispatch is ENC and units CLR and/or you are close enough to the Repeater the Cruiser is using, but too far for the Dispatch selected Repeater.... keep experimenting

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.