Problem with Realstic DX-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

j896

This radio has always worked fine for me since I bought it on ebay a few years go. Today when i went to use it the audio is just horrible very distorted kind of like a cracking popping noise. I have to turn the RF gain way down just to hear it clearly. First i thought it was the speaker maybe went bad but i tryed an extension speaker same problem.. I know it's not the best SW radio in the world but i do like using this radio. So my question is is this a easy fix or do i just have a new display radio for my shelf.

MarkWestin

I am not familiar with the DX-200, but this might help a little. If the radio can run on batteries try that and see if there is any difference. If not, the most likely problem area is the power supply. One or more of the Filter Capacitors could have failed, which is very common on older electronics. Also one of the diodes in a bridge rectifier could have failed which could cause similar symptoms to what you have.

Mark

mule1075

Feed Provider
Somebody near you could have gotten a new toy TV, router,etc for Christmas. That might be causing you the problems also.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Rock all the controls back and forth from end to end several times.
It sounds like it could just be a dirty potentiometer. They dry out or get dirty with age. Or if exposed to an environment where someone smokes, can also dirty them up quickly.

If this fixes it, it will not be a permanent fix.
RadioShack used to sell Tuner Cleaner and another better product is called DeOxit.
You want something that cleans and lubricates the controls.

You often must open the radio to do this correctly. And keep the spray away from plastics even if it claims to be plastic safe!

j896

Thanks every one for replying. I will take it apart and clean all the controls see if that works. There is 2 radio shacks near me still. I will see if they still sell that stuff.

kc2kth

Seconding the first part of kruser's recommendation. One of my Transoceanics developed an issue after not being used for a couple of weeks where the audio sounded low and there was a loud hum. Sounded very much like rfi. I did some off and on troubleshooting over a couple of days and the noise simply went away. I blamed some dust or perhaps stray whiskers sprouting in the volume control pot or tuning capacitor. Sometimes a bit of extra use is needed even for devices that are used regularly.

Boombox

Like the others said: rock the bandswitch, exercise the volume control, and it it fixes it, carefully use spray cleaner on the bandswitch and volume control. Ditto on DeOxit -- it lubes as well as cleans.

Also, get some canned air and blow clean the tuner capacitor gently. I had an older communications receiver radio that had noise issues from a dirty tuner capacitor -- the radio had sat for several years and it was enough dust, oxidation, etc. to cause noise issues. A few puffs from the canned air and exercising the tuner made the issues go away.

Don't let *any* tuner cleaner or DeOxit get on the DX-200s tuner capacitor. If it's like the DX-160's, it's got plastic sheathing in between the metal plates. Use a paper towel or something else to protect it if you spray any cleaner on components inside the radio. Cleaners will sometimes melt soft plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.