Problem with recording on ARC996Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8qln

I must be missing something minor, I am very close.

- I am in Virtual Control, and I select "Enable Recording", and the REC light indicates it's recording as I get a signal.
- I have Record ALL channels on, just to make sure it works.
- I even get .WAV files recording to my hard drive as they happen.
- However, when I play them, there is no sound in any of them. I tried adjusting the SET CONTROL VOLUME, but there is still no sound in any of these files.

Is there a trick to hearing the audio?

Do I need a 3.5mm patch cable between the scanner & the PC? Because I am getting recorded "empty" files with just the USB interface.

I don't think I am recording these right.

Last edited:

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
kc8qln said:
Do I need a 3.5mm patch cable between the scanner & the PC? Because I am getting recorded "empty" files with just the USB interface.

I don't think I am recording these right.

You need a cable from speaker output (not record out!) to soundcard line in, see software user manual.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

kc8qln

I got it to work..... but....

....I have to ask, what good is the RECORD OUT for?

Also, this means I can't hear my own audio real time.

Do I have to get a splitter?

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
The software records every signal and the Record output only works when the record flag is set. Unfortunately the scanner does not report the record flag to the software.

So the best solution is to use the speaker output, if you switch on the PC speakers you will hear the realtime audio.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

LordJ

Could then, something be set up to take the record request from the radio, and apply it to your software? What I mean is, If I tell the radio I only want to record info from a particular system, then the recording software could be told that too. If I only want to record fire info and not police info, I currently have no way to do that and still listen to other systems without recording them.. Thanks

LordJ

I guess I didn't ask properly...I am assuming the software must know what frequency is being recorded, otherwise it couldn't display that info in the filename. So, could it not be programmed somehow to only record what I have selected it to record?

edweirdFL

Butelsoftware said:
The software records every signal and the Record output only works when the record flag is set. Unfortunately the scanner does not report the record flag to the software.

So the best solution is to use the speaker output, if you switch on the PC speakers you will hear the realtime audio.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

Would flagging EVERY freq to record when programming a system, also be a solution?

Ed

jastx

It really depends how the software was written.

One way is to constatnly poll the radio and ask what it's listening to. If it answers something other than "nothing", record the audio.

The other way is to monitor the audio and ask the radio what it's listening to when audio is present. This method allows the "record" settings in the radio to work as expected.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
LordJ said:
I guess I didn't ask properly...I am assuming the software must know what frequency is being recorded, otherwise it couldn't display that info in the filename. So, could it not be programmed somehow to only record what I have selected it to record?

A frequency can be used in different systems/groups so that is not a reliable check.
Since harddisk space is not an issue anymore we record everything and the dynamic file storage in ARC makes it easy to pick the frequencies/tgid you want for play back.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

Status
Not open for further replies.