Problems in Chesterfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecampbell54

Has anyone else had problems trunk tracking Richmond / Henrico / Chesterfield / Colonial Heights from Chesterfield?

With help from a smart guy in a Pro 106 user groups I figured out that one of the frequencies off the Chesterfield tower is broadcasting silence preventing truck tracking scanners from releasing the frequency.

The rogue channel (at least today) is 856.762500

Anyone else having this problem?

hyllus100

Yes, I have been having the same issue for about 2 days. Occasionally, I'll receive traffic on that freq but it never gets released. If I press scan, it will continue without incident. Very strange.

ecampbell54

Rogue freqency

Yes, I have been having the same issue for about 2 days. Occasionally, I'll receive traffic on that freq but it never gets released. If I press scan, it will continue without incident. Very strange.

That rogue frequency (856.762500) is staying open, essential transmitting silence but still transmitting talk group traffic when needed. Can you verify its the same frequency for you?

hyllus100

Yes, my scanner is hanging on 856.76250. Perhaps it’s just my ignorance (I’m new to the scanning world) but I’ve checked and I haven’t added this frequency to any of my banks and they are all closed. I haven’t a clue how I’m picking this frequency up. The traffic I hear on it is unfamiliar as well. Most of the time, it sounds very much like a fire dispatch channel but not any I’m familiar with in the area. The real problem, as you’ve stated, is it just hangs on that freq after transmission. Any help that could be offered would be most appreciated.

ecampbell54

I'm new as well, but here is how I understand it by reading though links originating here:

Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki

I'm assuming you have a trunk tracking scanner when I say this....

The Gist, When scanning a trucked system all scanners needs to do is listen to to the control channel. Its then sent to a specific frequency as directed by the control channel. When is done listening (that is the core of our problem) its goes back and listens to the control channel again. Oour problem is the frequency never "hangs up the phone" so to speak and the scanner keep on listing assuming there is still radio traffic.

The unfamiliar radio traffic you hear is most likely from other jurisdictions (for example Henrico fire) sending their transmission over the frequency because the control channel directed that frequency to broadcast that talk group.

The permanent fix can only come from someone in Chesterfield who manages the Chesterfield portion of the radio system. My temporary solutions which has made my Pro 106 usable again is to utilize the weather priority feature. This forces the scanner to check the analog weather frequency periodically for an alert. After that is checks back in with the control channel first breaking that link with the open broadcast. What I don't like is the pauses but at least I don't have to keep pushing the scan button.

Hope this helps

hyllus100

I really appreciate the extremely helpful info. After listening to this output frequency for a while, it appears to be a mixture of PD and FD talkgroups from both Chesterfield and Richmond. The one thing I don't quite understand is why the agencies that use the system haven't pick up on the problem and fixed it. If the "phone is left off the hook" for scanners, isn't it for them as well?

ecampbell54

I believe the traffic your hearing is luck of the draw. Or luck of the trunk so to speak. As far as it causing problems with county radios.... After consulting with others I believe it possibly is but not nearly to the extent it is to a scanner. Basically I think the radios have more redundancy built in to prevent a severe problems like freezing on a channel; like continually monitoring the control channels as opposed to the scanners only have one tuner and can't monitor both at once. The scanner waits until the transmission is done then returns to the control channel and listens for the next talk group que and heads to the frequency as directed..... rinse and repeat.

I have found a contact within the radio system and forwarded the discovery to them today. We will see what happens.

ecampbell54

Problem fixed?

I believe the problem in the system has now been fixed. Are you having any issues now?

hyllus100

No longer appears to be an issue. Thanks for all your help (and thanks to that contact of yours too).

Status
Not open for further replies.