Problems picking up Tinker with 396

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenstuffs

Hi all i have bought a 396 recently and have tried to pick up Tinker since it is P25 and digital i wanted to see how this scanner performs with digital so far i'm more than pleased with analog but the problem is that i can't seem to pick up anything when i'm near Tinker.

Earlier today i was IN the base and the scanner didn't seem to pick up anything, is anything i'm doing wrong or are they using new codes? The ones i have are from the database of RR or i may have some settings that are somewhat off.

If i can't pick up digital correctly i may have to pick up another scanner.

Thax

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Not new 'codes' - many fed and mil bases are moving to 380 mhz trunking, away from the old 400 mhz stuff. I don't know which entry in the db you had programmed, but if you had 400 mhz freqs that were basically unused, this is a possible cause.

380 mhz trunking is supported by the 396, no problem there. I would also check to see how you defined the system - many people make a mistake and set the system type to P25 when the system voice says 'analog and apco 25' - in this case, define the system as Motorola type 2 and turn the P25 detect on.

73 Mike

woodyrr

Greenstuffs,

Welcome to the boards.

The 400 MHz frequencies listed in the database are still valid and active.

On a 396 there is not much that can be wrong as far as I can tell.

Enter 406.1625, make sure CTCSS/DCS is "Off", set Modulation to "Auto", set Attenuator to "Off", and set Lockout to "Unlocked". Sit on that frequency and see what happens.

Beyond that, I would be at a loss.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I heard them fine on my 996 last thursday on 406.1625. Loud and clear from 50th and N. May.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Time to dump the programming and let others see what you did, greenstuffs. Your best bet is to use the UASD for this, as it seems to be the 'lowest common denominator' for almost all the better 396-compatible packages. 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.