Problems programming Uniden bc796d trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

phishguy36

I can get the control channel programmed. I can also get the talk groups I want to listen to. But when it scans. Scanner will flip back and forth from data channel. To control channel. I only get to hear bits and pieces of what is being said. I'm in Brunswick county. control channel is 853.1625 in Supply.

joeuser

The Wretched
Hang in there guy! It is football season & that's an older scanner... You may want to try again in the Uniden forum & be specific with what system you are trying to monitor

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
The Radio Reference Wiki Page is your friend.

BC796D - The RadioReference Wiki

This will give you a lot of tips on the scanner itself. You will want to make sure you check your scanner for updates on this page.

Additionally, it sounds like you're trying to program VIPER for that area. Make sure you the check the RR Database to see if you need to add more control channels for the sites you're trying to monitor.

VIPER Statewide P25 Trunking System, Varies, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Good luck and keep us posted on progress!

JoeyC

If you are running in control channel only mode, the 796 must be set to trunk the proper PLAN (1,2,3 or 4) based on the freqs in the system. If you are listening to a rebanded system, I am not even sure that the radio will handle it properly.

JoeyC

Yes, so then it requires custom tables set, and that is probably what the OPs problem is.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
If the thread starter is trying to monitor VIPER then he should not need rebanding tables
as VIPER is a pure P25 system now.
Just put in the tower frequencies of the site nearest him and he should be good to go.
Marshall KE4ZNR

phishguy36

nice to see someone is paying attention. I thought this was a dead issue. OK I have used pro scan to program the control channel and talk groups. Manually. as I have no radio reference paid service so I cant down load the file from them. Radio reference doesn't list the viper system as a rebanded system. Also I have updated the scanner to the 3.6 firmware. I am less than 15 miles to either of the two towers I'm trying to listen too. I have tried to program as a rebanded system and get no noise at all. The best I get is setting Motorola type 2 800/p25. I can program in the voice channels and listen to the all day. but don't know who is transmitting. the scanner scans the control channel. finds the talk groups. switches to the voice channel. but won't lock on so I can't hear the whole transmission. I thought it was reception problem. But my guy at local radio shack been doing it for years said no. It's programming problem. This is Where I'm stuck. Also I can hit the hold button and press the #9 button to change the sound quality. It will listen to whole transmission.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
AGAIN: VIPER IS NOT A REBANDED SYSTEM.
When it comes to VIPER totally forget about the word "rebanded" and don't
program any sites as rebanded sites.
VIPER is a P25 Moto System and should be programmed as such.
Gonna try to make it easy for you....I have created a ProScan xml database file that you
should be able to upload to your 796D.
Follow these steps:
1) Download the attached zip file and unzip it to your Program Files->Proscan folder on your computer.
2) Start up ProScan and select File->Open then select the Brunswick VIPER P25.xml file.
3) Upload the database file to your 796D.
The database file has all of the Brunswick Co VIPER Tgs repeated across the first 3 banks. Each one of the first 3 banks is associated with a different Brunswick Co VIPER Tower site:
Bank 1= Bolivia Tower Site
Bank 2= Pea Landing Tower Site
Bank 3= Supply Tower Site
There is a 4th Brunswick County VIPER Tower (Southport) but I did not include it as it is a 700Mhz site and the BCD796D will not follow a 700Mhz site.
If you allow your scanner to scan Banks 1-3 you should hear (and see) radio system activity off of at least one of the towers.
Report back on which of the above worked for you.
Marshall KE4ZNR

nice to see someone is paying attention. I thought this was a dead issue. OK I have used pro scan to program the control channel and talk groups. Manually. as I have no radio reference paid service so I cant down load the file from them. Radio reference doesn't list the viper system as a rebanded system. Also I have updated the scanner to the 3.6 firmware. I am less than 15 miles to either of the two towers I'm trying to listen too. I have tried to program as a rebanded system and get no noise at all. The best I get is setting Motorola type 2 800/p25. I can program in the voice channels and listen to the all day. but don't know who is transmitting. the scanner scans the control channel. finds the talk groups. switches to the voice channel. but won't lock on so I can't hear the whole transmission. I thought it was reception problem. But my guy at local radio shack been doing it for years said no. It's programming problem. This is Where I'm stuck. Also I can hit the hold button and press the #9 button to change the sound quality. It will listen to whole transmission.

Attachments

• Brunswick Co VIPER P25.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 68

phishguy36

Ok I have used the .XML file and I still have same problem. It scans the control channel. But doesn't lock on to the data channel but for a split second and then flips back and forth. Between control channel and data channel. It sounds like a cell phone that doesn't have good reception. I get every other word. I don't think it's reception. Cause I can program the data channels and manually scan them with out control channel and receive them fine.

phishguy36

I do have a small 12" 800 mghz antenna> But I have a discone coming in the mail. I looked into the Simulcast digital distortion and I think I get the pixelated signal. " manifests itself as a readable signal followed by a broken signal then back to a readable one" said it has something to do with the bit decoding. Is there a way of finding out how to correct it.

phishguy36

Ok got my discone antenna in today. Got it up. about 6 foot off the roof of house. Still having same problem. When control channel is scanned it finds talk groups info. but won't lock on to the data channel to hear entire transmission. It bounces back and forth from control channel to data then back again.

phishguy36

Ok got the discone antenna. its about 6 foot off the roof of house. That's 16 foot or so off ground. Still have the same problem. scan control channel. Hits the talk groups but doesn't lock on to data channel.

GTO_04

I can get the control channel programmed. I can also get the talk groups I want to listen to. But when it scans. Scanner will flip back and forth from data channel. To control channel. I only get to hear bits and pieces of what is being said. I'm in Brunswick county. control channel is 853.1625 in Supply.

I just now am trying to use my old 796 to monitor a P25 system, and I am seeing the same thing. My settings include "control channel only" mode "plan 4." I suspect the "control channel only" mode will not work scanning a P25 system with the 796. Next step is to enter all the frequencies (it's not gonna kill me lol) and not use "control channel only" mode and see if I get better results.

When I am getting P25 reception it is very respectable for such an old scanner. It looks like it is skipping some of the voice channels which tells me the "control channel only" mode is not working.

GTO_04

joeuser

The Wretched
I just now am trying to use my old 796 to monitor a P25 system, and I am seeing the same thing. My settings include "control channel only" mode "plan 4." I suspect the "control channel only" mode will not work scanning a P25 system with the 796. Next step is to enter all the frequencies (it's not gonna kill me lol) and not use "control channel only" mode and see if I get better results.

When I am getting P25 reception it is very respectable for such an old scanner. It looks like it is skipping some of the voice channels which tells me the "control channel only" mode is not working.

GTO_04

I use a 296 to monitor our local P25p1 system. I have it in my truck & monitor the KSICS TRS. It does darn well for such an old rig. I have newer - higher end scanners but none I would just leave out in my truck. These old radios were built well & still have a place today. I also have a 250 in the truck with no card - just to monitor conventional frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.