Problems receiving Cumb City LTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

andsmith79

Anyone in Mineral County (Keyser) able to receive the Cumberland City Fire/EMS LTR system? I'm able to receive the Allegany Co LTR system loud and clear...not sure if the sites are close to each other or not. Also not able to pickup the Westernport tower (33.780) to hear alerts...Dan's Mt tower comes through good...another strange problem.

I'm listening on a Uniden BCT8 with a spider antenna on the roof top.

wmbio

You will not hear the Cumberland Fire LTR in Keyser, too low power. Cresaptown is about as far south as you can hear it clearly.

Questions?

Wmbio

wmbio

Any time, Reading your question about 33.78 on the westernport tower, you should be able to hear this in Keyser, since it iis used to alert the fire companies up your way. Do not know why it is not coming in.

Here is a live scanner link to the Allegany county Md, ( Cumberland ) live scanner site. Kasey ( KK3L ) and I manage this site. You can hear cumberland fire here. http://207.255.201.33/

You must use IE6 to listen.

Wmbio

Last edited:

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Great scanner! I heard Mineral County WV dispatcher on 155.835 refer to "DIGITAL CHANNEL 10". Any thoughts on what that was?

wmbio

WM8S

I do not know about any "Digital" in Mineral County, yet. The WVA statewide system has not been rolled out in this county to date. They do have 1-16 channels VHF, mostly simplex for fireground or operations.

My Dell laptop has been broken for 1 week now, and on it's 3rd service call by the factory. I hope it will be up and running for the weekend when I can listen closer to Mineral county.

If you hear any additional "digital" comments on that frequency let me know.

Wmbio

andsmith79

Thanks Wmbio! I also have an online scanner feed coming from my Dad's house in Keyser. Streaming at http://bubbascanner.bounceme.net:8000 - access with WinAMP. I live in Nortern VA now and had to setup the live feed so that my wife could stay tunned into what's going on in Western MD and WV. My wife used to be a 911 dispatch for Mineral County before we moved to Northern VA...having scanner access was a MUST for her! LOL

The Westernport tower issue is very strange! I can normally hear Co. 22 and 50 units responding, but never an alert unless they put it off Dan's Mt tower. I have a buddy in Westernport (Darren Green) so I think I'll check with him to see about moving the equipment to his house. The only problem will be climbing his tower to setup the antenna! LOL

Thanks again!! :)

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
BTW, what is the technology behind this online scanner? I'd like very much to set something like that up here, too.

andsmith79

Mine is a pretty simple setup. I have a Uniden BCT8 scanner connected to my stand alone PC with an audio cable. The computer runs WindowsXP and runs two software applications to broadcast the audio stream. The programs are ShoutCast and SimpleCast. SimpleCast takes the audio feed from the scanner and encodes it into MPEG (mp3) format and dumps it off to ShoutCast. I then connect to the ShoutCast server to listen to the stream. The only down side (I've found) with using ShoutCast/SimpleCast is the delay in hearing the audio which is caused from buffering the audio. There's about a 3 minute dealy, but who really cares since I'm in VA! :)

wmbio

Your missing your WV State police car traffic. Add 451.750 Mhz, PL 151.4 This repeater listens to the cars on 42.260 mhz and repeats this input back to Romney.

Your shout cast setup sounds great.

Our server connection has problems and Kasey is working on it today, it gets so slow and appears to be a problem with Atlantic Broadband our internet provider.

Wmbio

andsmith79

Just checked the configs and I see that 451.750 is programmed in, but I don't think I've ever received anything on it. Maybe the roof top antenna I have is just not cutting it.

BTW - When I program frequencies into the scanner I always just enter the frequency and not the PL code. Should I also enter the PL code?

wmbio

PL is good in congested hi radio traffic areas where it will keep out most unwanted noise or intermod but you do not have to use it.

When I lived in Cresaptown I used it all of the time to keep out the VHF paging trafffic from Dans mountain which was causing the squeels in some VHF frequencies I was listening to. That is when PL comes in very handy.

Wmbio

ambdrvr

Premium Subscriber
Cumberland City LTR

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. I have the city LTR in my mobile in my vehicle and I can not only hear the city but I can key it up from keyser with little trouble. I'm not sure why a scanner can't pick up this traffic, maybe your system is programmed wrong? Just a thought, ok, later.

Ambdrvr

wmbio

http://acmscanner.no-ip.org Use this addy for the Allegany county scanner. Our server was hit by lightning again.

The Cumberland City fire LTR system is as follows, 453.38750, 453.63750, 453.90000, bringing this low power system up from Keyser is spectacular, show me!

Wmbio

Last edited:

ambdrvr

Premium Subscriber
Cumb City LTR

Hello again,

The next time I'm in Keyser I'll have to post so ppl can be listening, but I have done it without problem. I run with LaVale Rescue also and our repeater is in the same location as the city's LTR, and we are only putting out 30w and I can key that repeater up also with no issues. Since we are talking about the cumberland city LTR, I have a good question. Anybody look up their license for that system, funny thing is, the license says it's a conventional system. If I'm not mistaken, that's an FCC violation. I'm just not sure how they are getting away with trunking their conventional freq's without getting caught?

Ambdrvr

wmbio

WM8S

For a better explanation of what is on the mountaintop e-mail Kasey, he is the sever GURU, what he uses may change daily as we had a lightning hit yesterday. A Bc-895, winscan to video program to see and program the scanner, shoutcast to hear the audio.

mkasekamp@atlanticbb.net

Wmbio

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.