Problems Scanning P25 Bell Fleetnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazed99

Hello,

Assistance would be greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a BCD436HP scanner, my first digital. Sitting at home, I noticed that there wasn't a great deal of radio traffic. After closer inspection, I noticed I was receiving the OPP car repeaters but never the towers. I tried to trunk scan the local tower (Kinburn tower), but after 1/2 an hour I had no hits. I tried a conventional scan of the tower after programming in the frequencies and received a great deal of traffic. The scanner would lock into the channel and if it was the OPP, the P25 indicator would come on and I would hear the call.

I am at a loss on how to confirm the talkgroup ID etc to move from a conventional scan to a proper talkgroup scan in case the built in database were incorrect.

I have updated the sentinel software (version 1.02.01), updated the database and firmware. I tried playing with NFM, FM setting as per other threads in the forum to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated (either troubleshooting techniques or possible solutions)

Thanks.

Ken

lacadien72

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I'm not sure I understand what you really looking for, but I think it is "ID Search".

ID Search: This sets whether the scanner searches for all IDs in a trunking system (On), or scans only programmed IDs (Off). The default setting is Off.

You set this option in the System Option of the trunked system.

Press Menu then scroll to Manage Favorites and press E/yes.
Scroll to the Favorites List and press E/yes.
Scroll to Review/Edit System and press E/yes.
Scroll to the System you want to edit and press E/yes.
Scroll to Edit Sys Options and press E/yes

W2SJW

Database Admin
Hi,
I'm not sure I understand what you really looking for, but I think it is "ID Search".

ID Search: This sets whether the scanner searches for all IDs in a trunking system (On), or scans only programmed IDs (Off). The default setting is Off.

You set this option in the System Option of the trunked system.

Press Menu then scroll to Manage Favorites and press E/yes.
Scroll to the Favorites List and press E/yes.
Scroll to Review/Edit System and press E/yes.
Scroll to the System you want to edit and press E/yes.
Scroll to Edit Sys Options and press E/yes

Even faster way is FUNC+E/yes... :wink:

dazed99

Thanks for the replies.

lacadien72,

I played with the ID Search but to no avail. To be clear with what my issue is, if I program the Fleetnet frequencies for tower using a conventional search, I do receive audio transmissions (both analog and P25). If I use the built in database in the BCD436HP for the Fleetnet tower my scanner is silent. I have also tried to perform a trunking discovery (using your suggestion of ID Search set to "ON") for that particular tower and again no hits. I am wondering if I at the fringe of reception for the control channel and therefore not receiving it in the trunking mode. I may have to take a drive and sit under the tower :). I find it odd that I can pickup and decode P25 transmissions when using the conventional scan.

smithken,

The tower is Kinburn (MARTHN) according to the Sentinel database (not Kilburn).

Thanks again for the replies!
Ken

RickLeb

Have you entered all 7 frequencies into the scanner, or only the control channels (red and blue frequencies)?.

If you press hold while scanning Fleetnet does the scanner change from silent to noisy with the sound of data bursts? The frequency on the display should also stop at either the red or blue frequency that you entered.

Did you use any programming software to program your scanner?. If so, could you post a copy of your database so that others could verify your programming?

smithken

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies.

smithken,

The tower is Kinburn (MARTHN) according to the Sentinel database (not Kilburn).

Thanks again for the replies!

OK, I see what I did wrong. I thought Bell FleetNet was a province wide system, I didn't notice it was broken up into zones. Now I don't know if I looked for Kilburn or Kinburn yesterday, either way I was looking in Zone 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.