Problems with BC350c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma5951

So, i have the BC350c scanner, two of my buddies have them as well and they are excellent... when mine works atleast it is.

My two friends have no issues with the unit, i bought mine used from a friend, so i cannot even warranty it unless i want to pay for it.

The issue is, that it basically either doesn't work at all, or works sometimes, maybe 1/10 times i turn it out it may pick up a little something. The issue was seemingly diagnosed by members of lightbarn.com as a supposedly common issue with the BNC jack and the small piece of wire that connects it to the circuit board.

So i did as told, re soldered it and it worked wonderfully... for about a day. And then it stopped and i re soldered it, and of course it worked again. Now it does not work, even if i resolder it. So the next fix suggested was to take a piece of wire braid and solder it along the wire, for more flexible fix that i wont need to worry about breaking off or something.

This did not fix the issue.

If someone can help me diagnose this problem i would really appreciate it. I am going to double check for sure with my buddies scanner that the issue is not the antenna somehow, but i doubt it. I have this antenna

Through-The-Glass Mobile Antenna with BNC

Thanks in advance really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone here is true guru and thinks they can fix this, i will gladly sell it to you, it is pretty much in mint condition. I would rather sell it to someone and buy a new one, then deal with sending it to uniden and paying them $60, just to get it back with the same issues.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Welcome to Radioreference Trauma5951.

I'm not sure what replacing the wire to the BNC connector would do for you if it already makes a solid connection, but you may have damaged the antenna input circuit by overheating or creating an open circuit. There is usually a capacitor inline with the antenna connector. If you trace it from the BNC connector you may find a bad capacitor to the signal input. Check the solder connections for a "cold" or incomplete solder joint. As for the antenna, you could check the radio with any handheld duck antenna to see if you have signal. I would tune to the local NOAA weather radio station to verify that it works on the on glass antenna because the signal should be continuous and usually has a good signal in most areas of the country.

Trauma5951

i guess my only option is to send it in to uniden... i resoldered it and it worked wonderfully, again for about 5 minutes and after driving for a little bit it stopped. I checked all the resistors and little components in line with the antenna on the board and they were fine...

Will uniden even cover this repair if i send it in with $60 like they said or will they just send it back to me and say sorry cant fix it heres your $60 back sorry you wasted money on shipping...

Trauma5951

Apologies for the double post but due to my first 3 post rule, i cannot edit the post i made 30 seconds ago.

I have the scanner sitting on my desk, have no touched the circuitry since it last stopped working, i have a little 8 inch total piece of junk push on antenna and out of nowhere after sitting on my desk for 25 minutes silent its picking up signals pretty well other than the crap antenna static.

I dont get it... i have no touched the scanner at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.