Problems With Comport

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPD67

Hello All, I Just Programmed My Freqs Into The New Arc Software (demo Package) For My Bc780. I Bought The Rs-232c Cable Needed To Send Data From Pc To Scanner. Problems Is, The Arc Software Is Not Recognizing That My Scanner Is Plugged In.

I Have Checked The Settings Several Times In My Windows Device Manager And I Have All The Settings Correct And My Pc Says The Device Is Working Properly.

Any Suggestions? And Is This Problem Simply Occuring Because I Am Using The "demo" Version, Not The Purchased Version?

Thx

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
In demo mode communication will work.

Make sure you got the right cable, there are many different RS232 cables.

You need a straight thru cable:

9-Female <> 9-Male
Pin Pin
2 2
3 3
5 5

Also disable any software polling serial ports like PDA/Pocket PC/GSM software/ActiveSync.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

LPD67

okay. I will purchase the software. What do you mean by pin pin 2 2 3 3 5 5 ? I have a male 9-pin going into the back of the scanner and a female 9-pin going into the back of my computer in the com port.

Four pins on top row, five on bottom (going into scanner). It's the cable that the owners manual said to get so it should be correct. RS232-C straight cable.

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
Before purchasing the software make sure the demo talks with the scanner, in demo mode communication works but there are some limits.

Pin 2 from the male must be linked to 2 at the female connector etc for pin 3 and 5, some Rs232 cables swap pin 2 and 3 and then communication will not work.

also make sure RMT is shown at the scanners display and make sure the baudrate selected in scanner and software match.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

LPD67

baudrate matches up, 9600 on both scanner and computer

rmt shows on screen

if i take the cable i bought today and plug the male end into the female end, the 2 3 and 5 meet up. In other words on the top row of male end where there are 5 pins it goes 12345 and the bottom is numbered 6789. It's the same with the female end, so when the two are plugged together the 2 3 and 5 meet up.

Checked the device manager in windows, says com port 1 is working and enabled for use.

Still, no dice. This is frustrating.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
LPD67 said:
if i take the cable i bought today and plug the male end into the female end, the 2 3 and 5 meet up. In other words on the top row of male end where there are 5 pins it goes 12345 and the bottom is numbered 6789. It's the same with the female end, so when the two are plugged together the 2 3 and 5 meet up.

Yes.
But inside the cable, does the wire connected to pin 2 on the male end, also connect to pin 2 on the female end, or does it connect to pin 3 on the female end?

The wires inside the cable need to connect pin 2 to pin 2, and pin 3 to pin 3, etc.

Comint

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
LPD67 said:
You need a continuity tester to check this, unless you can pull the connector apart, you can't tell by looking. The key is that you (as has been explained) a straight through serial cable, just like it was an extension cord.

LPD67

Guys, I am 99.9% positive I bought the correct cable. The problem I'm having is that the software doesn't recognize the scanner as being connected. Almost like I would need a driver for my com port?

THe diagram on the box I bought for the cable specifically shows the pin configuration and the 2 3 and 5 all match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.