• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Problems with CP200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question (s)

I have received two CP200 UHF radios, will be using them for my racecar.
Only one of the channels actually work (4) for what I have been reading, could it be a programming situation?
Is it normal?
Would like to have channel availability if possible.

I use those same radios a lot for work, and something I have noticed too (on the ones I just got) is that when you press the talk button it beepsand takes a second or so to actually be able to talk.

Thank you in advance for your help

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hi
sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question (s)

I have received two CP200 UHF radios, will be using them for my racecar.
Only one of the channels actually work (4) for what I have been reading, could it be a programming situation?
Is it normal?
Would like to have channel availability if possible.

I use those same radios a lot for work, and something I have noticed too (on the ones I just got) is that when you press the talk button it beepsand takes a second or so to actually be able to talk.

Thank you in advance for your help
Impossible to answer your questions without examining the codeplugs from both radios.

Also, did you program them or did you have it done professionally or by a buddy or by the seller?

If both radios behave identically in all aspects, it may well be a programming issue, but again, impossible to tell without studying the codeplugs.

Thank you for such a prompt response

I do not know if the radios were programmed like so before or not, I have all the numbers if that would help you out

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for such a prompt response

I do not know if the radios were programmed like so before or not, I have all the numbers if that would help you out
I asked some specific questions which you have chosen not to answer. In case you haven't realized it yet, we can only offer helpful information based on good input from you. Obviously, that isn't going to happen.

My one and only recommendation to you is to take the radios to a reputable radio shop and have them fix your problems.

That is all I have to contribute to this thread.

Dont know what codeplugs are but would be more than willing to answer if guided
I dont know who programmed the radios, my guess is previous owner
By behaving identical by guessing I would say yes
They only communicate on channel 4

Sorry but i am not even close to knowing much about radios, other than using them
That is why Im asking at this forum
Not to be scolded
Thanks for your help

svfd17

A codeplug is a file that contains all the info programmed into the radio that can be read by the radio programming software. And since you don't want to be "scolded" I feel that your best course of action is to contact the person you purchased the radios from.

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Since you know very little about radio you should be aware that most radios require an FCC license. There are a few exceptions (CB, FRS, MURS) but for the most part a license is required.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Elchopperfreak,

Welcome to the forum. I realize some of the members' responses to your question may have seemed a bit short, so let me clarify a few things.

By your own statements, you know very little about the radios you have, so some explanation is in order. I am assuming by the information in your posts that you have little or no radio knowledge, so if these explanations seem to 'talk down' to you, I apologize. I am not insulting you; but rather making sure you have the basic information to make an informed decision.

1. The numbers on your radio dial mean absolutely nothing in regards to what frequencies the radios are programmed on. The radios can look identical on the outside and be completely different on the inside (programming-wise). Channels 1-10 on one radio may not have a single channel in common with the Channels 1-10 on another.

2. There is MUCH MORE to using a radio than just 'acquiring' two and starting to talk to each other. With very few exceptions, those being FRS and MURS (Google those terms for more info), almost every radio will require an FCC license for the frequency being used, and some radio programming to be able to use those frequencies. If you have a couple of radios that you were given or bought (eBay, swap meet, private party, whatever), you don't know who else is on the frequencies that are in those radios. You could very well be interfering with a public safety agency (law/fire/EMS) or licensed business who is already on those channels. And by the use of CTCSS or DCS codes (Google those as well), you may not even hear them and know you are interfering with them. But, they will hear you, and it is a federal felony and a hefty fine when (not if, when) the FCC breaks out the direction-finding equipment and tracks you down. Ignorance will not be a mitigating factor in your sentencing.

These are a couple of the reasons that no one here can give you any additional advice on your radio issues, other than to take them to a radio shop and find out what the programming inside is. You yourself apparently don't know what the status of your radios are, and without reading the programming memory (the codeplug), it is unlikely that you will be able to find out. Reading that codeplug requires specialized radio service software and some amount of technical skill in the use of that software.

I am explaining all this because I see that you are a new arrival here (3 posts), and I don't want you to get the impression that we are a bunch of rude bastards. We are not. What we ARE is a quite varied group of radio professionals and enthusiasts who love our jobs (or hobby), and see all too often people with just enough (or not even enough) knowledge to be dangerous, come in and expect to shortcut the system, or otherwise do things that seem ok to them but cause significant issues for other people.

Good luck in your venture into the use of radios. Please do so responsibly and legally. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, and we will try to help you out.

Regards,

Duster

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.