Problems with my 396 xt after doing the new update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny6569

I dont know what happened here after doing this new update, but after checking some of my systems i found out that i couldnt turn my quick keys on some of my systems after doing the update, come to find out after i went into the menu and looked at the systems that werent working some of them either got locked out and a couple that i had locked out were unlocked ? and it was never that way before the update, anyone else having problems with this too ? i did a complete reset on my scanner and had to download everything back into it and go through all my systems just to make sure they were ok now! i did the reset because i wanted to start fresh because i wasnt sure if the update messed anything else up ?

kb8rvp

I dont know what happened here after doing this new update, but after checking some of my systems i found out that i couldnt turn my quick keys on some of my systems after doing the update, come to find out after i went into the menu and looked at the systems that werent working some of them either got locked out and a couple that i had locked out were unlocked ? and it was never that way before the update, anyone else having problems with this too ? i did a complete reset on my scanner and had to download everything back into it and go through all my systems just to make sure they were ok now! i did the reset because i wanted to start fresh because i wasnt sure if the update messed anything else up ?

Go to the last page of the BCD396XT and 996XT update section and go to the last page they are talking about the same thing. They say that some have had to reprogram using FreeScan or whatever computer program you use or to backup your programming prior to doing the update. Copy and past the link below into your browser to read more.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...6xt-bcd996xt-firmware-update-released-11.html

Mike

Last edited:

Danny6569

396 xt update

Im using butel arc software and i did redownload everything back into my scanner, thanks for the info because i never read the part about backing up the scanner because i didnt think the update was gonna change my systems around, but its fixed now.

rmosier

After reading this thread I got all excited to get the latest update, but when I go to Unidens support page, only the 396T is listed. Where do you find the XT update?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thank you fxdscon. When I run the updater it gives me an error:

"This scanner is not an object for BCD396XT. Rewriting is impossible. Please turn off the power and remove cable".

Anyone else had this problem?

That almost always indicates you are using the wrong .scn file, or it hasn't been un-zipped.

Or the scanner hasn't been put in the upgrade mode before starting the upgrade by pressing l/o and 6 while powering on the scanner.

Last edited:

rmosier

BCD396XT_V1_10_00.scn

Right? I just unzipped it from the site. Even uninstalled the old BC_VUP and installed the new one.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
BCD396XT_V1_10_00.scn

Right? I just unzipped it from the site. Even uninstalled the old BC_VUP and installed the new one.

That's the right file for the 396XT... I notice you have a 396T also.

Have you verified that the cable is communicating properly with the scanner before trying the upgrade, correct com port etc...

rmosier

LOL. I finaly broke down and read the trouble shooter directions:

"Follow these tips to troubleshoot any update problem you encounter: * When prompted, be sure to turn off the scanner, remove the batteries, and hold down both the L/O and 6 buttons while plugging in the AC adapter. The backlight should come on and remain on until the end of the update. "

This worked. YAY!

Thanks again.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
LOL. I finaly broke down and read the trouble shooter directions:

"Follow these tips to troubleshoot any update problem you encounter: * When prompted, be sure to turn off the scanner, remove the batteries, and hold down both the L/O and 6 buttons while plugging in the AC adapter. The backlight should come on and remain on until the end of the update. "

This worked. YAY!

Thanks again.

Glad you got it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.