BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Problems with N9600 conventional? NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

NXDN conventional scanning is a failure on the 436 for me. Anyone else?

Hours of testing, programming, adjusting settings, etc, conventional scanning of NXDN is a failure for me compared to the TRX sitting right next to it. The 436 is scanning one system of 5 NXDN conv frequencies and I would say I am missing at least 50% of the traffic. If it does end up stopping on active traffic the TRX has most likely been stopped on it for a couple of seconds. Something is wrong.

BTW Trunking works awesome on the 436. No issues there at all.

Sanscanman

N5WRF
Premium Subscriber
you might try setting your digital wait to 0 and see if that helps... It has made a difference for me in search mode, might help with your issue.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Certainly not me, and from what I've seen elsewhere reported by others, NXDN has been a major success.

I've followed you where you talked about the issues you were having. To be honest, I cannot imagine it would have anythign to do with the NXDN implementation itself. You have something else going on, that's my belief.

So I wouldn't expect too many people to jump in regarding the issues you have having.

I know for sure I'm not missing any conversations on my NXDN conventional that I am monitoring. I have DSDPlus running and recording the two NXDN freqs in the area that i monitor, and I have compared what has been recorded by DSDPlus with what I have heard at the times I was listening, and I've got it all.

I do hope you are able to figure out whatever the issue may be in your particular case.

Mike

frazpo

Certainly not me, and from what I've seen elsewhere reported by others, NXDN has been a major success.

I've followed you where you talked about the issues you were having. To be honest, I cannot imagine it would have anythign to do with the NXDN implementation itself. You have something else going on, that's my belief.

So I wouldn't expect too many people to jump in regarding the issues you have having.

I know for sure I'm not missing any conversations on my NXDN conventional that I am monitoring. I have DSDPlus running and recording the two NXDN freqs in the area that i monitor, and I have compared what has been recorded by DSDPlus with what I have heard at the times I was listening, and I've got it all.

I do hope you are able to figure out whatever the issue may be in your particular case.

Mike

I do have DSD+ I will do some comparing. I just know the TRX, without implementing any changes to settings, is getting a lot radio traffic that the 436 is not. I am not sure what else could be done at this point. Are yours N96 or N48 ?? Mine are N96.

Sanscanman

N5WRF
Premium Subscriber
well, aside from that I let it do the threshold setting on its own, Auto and 8. but you could try fudging around with them and see if that helps decode. it's odd you mention your TRX-1 and its performance. I have TRX-1 as well and while I love it for a lot of its features, NXDN decoding has been an issue for me with mine. Your x36? Is it one that suffers from the clock issue?

I read a few threads that point to that repair fixing shielding issues with regard to antenna receive on certain bands.

just a thought

frazpo

I did have the clock issue but had it repaired.

I have been very pleased with the TRX so far. Now when comparing scanning a trunked system with TRX and the 436, the 436 is much quicker and responsive. Very happy with the 436 trunking capability.

I am scanning a dept with a very weird setup. I don't know if the 436 is just having a hard time with it or what. The TRX does awesome. DSD+ indicates this system as Conventional. However the radio traffic is broadcast on multiple frequencies. So I have the 4-5 frequencies programmed that are used. It seems to have one main frequency. If radio traffic is on other frequencies it will also be on that main frequency also. One thing that I noticed is that it seems to miss responses. It will miss the next key up where as the TRX will catch it.

So I have noticed that since I changed the wait time to 0 another frequency that is for sure Conventional seems to be doing very well.

racingfan360

I am scanning a dept with a very weird setup. I don't know if the 436 is just having a hard time with it or what. The TRX does awesome. DSD+ indicates this system as Conventional. However the radio traffic is broadcast on multiple frequencies. So I have the 4-5 frequencies programmed that are used. It seems to have one main frequency. If radio traffic is on other frequencies it will also be on that main frequency also. One thing that I noticed is that it seems to miss responses. It will miss the next key up where as the TRX will catch it.

So I have noticed that since I changed the wait time to 0 another frequency that is for sure Conventional seems to be doing very well.

With Digital Threshold Mode as Auto, if you punch in the main frequency and simply hold on it, just clarify how does the decoding response compare to the TRX paused on that same frequency?

Sanscanman

N5WRF
Premium Subscriber
Is it a NX96 system by chance?

I just came across a NX96 CB simulcastimg the exact same traffic
On another NX96 CB they both share the same RAN. There have been croup calls. Tg calls and encrptyed calls all on the same CB. The 436 demods the traffic just fine but is a most curious setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frazpo

With Digital Threshold Mode as Auto, if you punch in the main frequency and simply hold on it, just clarify how does the decoding response compare to the TRX paused on that same frequency?

Did this along with DSD+

scenario #1
Dispatch request (2 seconds) - 436 silent, dsd and trx received all traffic
Officer response (2 seconds) - 436 silent, dsd and trx received all traffic
Dispatch request (6-7 seconds) - 436 got last 3 seconds or so, dsd and trx received all traffic

scenario #2
back and forth among officer and dispatcher - 436 silent 80% of this transmission, trx and dsd got all

This is typical. 90% of the time it will either miss portions or not receive at all.
Not to say it won't at times receive with the TRX but that isn't but a fraction of the time.

During the time I typed this response I listened to a long transmission and once again after about 3-4 seconds the 436 finally decided to receive.

frazpo

Is it a NX96 system by chance?

I just came across a NX96 CB simulcastimg the exact same traffic
On another NX96 CB they both share the same RAN. There have been croup calls. Tg calls and encrptyed calls all on the same CB. The 436 demods the traffic just fine but is a most curious setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems to be what I am dealing with also. Simulcasting on other frequencies with same RAN. This seems to be Vcall Group as indicated by DSD+ That is what it indicated along with the RID on the decode line of DSD+

Is N96

Sanscanman

N5WRF
Premium Subscriber
Ok sorry for the disjointed questions. seems when I clicked the thread it brought me to page two and I didn't see it all from the start.

I noticed you're having issues on VHF, do you have any UHF CBs to test on?

Both my Cbs are UHF.

I am wondering if they might be fill in repeaters connected via VOIP.

frazpo

Ok sorry for the disjointed questions. seems when I clicked the thread it brought me to page two and I didn't see it all from the start.

I noticed you're having issues on VHF, do you have any UHF CBs to test on?

Both my Cbs are UHF.

I am wondering if they might be fill in repeaters connected via VOIP.

Unfortunately not

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Its odd. Everything else works great as far as receive and NXDN goes. The TRX decodes it very well. I am not sure what is going on.

Retracting my previous statement last night. I've seen this several times today now.

Holding on conventional channel.
When it doesn't decode, the signal bars don't even show anything. When it does, they go full.

Last edited:

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Try setting the modulation to FM instead of auto and enable manual digital threshold mode.

Once I did that for a network and a conventional channel, everything worked fine.

VA3DBJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Try setting the modulation to FM instead of auto and enable manual digital threshold mode.

Once I did that for a network and a conventional channel, everything worked fine.

VA3DBJ

Did you change the manual threshold from 8?

f4jmk

VA3DBJ

Works like a charm, thanks for sharing. I left the manual threshold at 8.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I believe that helped. Of course, the NX9600 department is quite this afternoon...

Does NX9600 trunked need to be changed as well, or is it just an issue with conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.