Problems with New Jersey Interoperability Radio Communication System

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkBuck7

Premium Subscriber
Various departments in N.J. are switching to this system. I noted that several sites were missing from my scanner, so I updated my database on the Sentinel system and did a database update to my scanner. I created a favorites list and after scanning for several hours heard nothing. I checked all the needed sites and they were in the scanner successfully. However, when I checked the associated frequencies with the various sites, I noted a significant problem. For example, one of the frequencies associated for the Alpine site is 773.06785. However, in the scanner, this frequency under the Alpine site will appear as 773.0687. I tried entering a new frequency so as to carry the frequency out another decimal place and the scanner will not accept it. So, I suspect there is some issue with programming the scanner in a way so as it will accept a frequency carried out 5 decimal places. How do I make this work? It seems impossible for the scanner to scan this system if the base frequencies which the scanner is accepting are all incorrect.

Any insight would be appreciated.

jeff

Premium Subscriber
The frequency readout will only go to 4 places past the decimal. Don't worry about it, you'll have no problems.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
If you are not hearing anything you can also try checking to see if you have location control on. If you have not set a home location in the scanner and you have location control on....it doesnt really know what sites or TG's to listen for.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
As per stated by the UNIDEN REP UPMAN enter it correct the scanner will not show the last 2 digits but it is there and works. I have been running 436 and 536's for a while with no problems.

troymail

Silent Key
Various departments in N.J. are switching to this system. I noted that several sites were missing from my scanner, so I updated my database on the Sentinel system and did a database update to my scanner. I created a favorites list and after scanning for several hours heard nothing. I checked all the needed sites and they were in the scanner successfully. However, when I checked the associated frequencies with the various sites, I noted a significant problem. For example, one of the frequencies associated for the Alpine site is 773.06785. However, in the scanner, this frequency under the Alpine site will appear as 773.0687. I tried entering a new frequency so as to carry the frequency out another decimal place and the scanner will not accept it. So, I suspect there is some issue with programming the scanner in a way so as it will accept a frequency carried out 5 decimal places. How do I make this work? It seems impossible for the scanner to scan this system if the base frequencies which the scanner is accepting are all incorrect.

Any insight would be appreciated.

As has been stated, some Unidens (at least the 436/536) don't display/seem to care about the 5th digit. It works fine without it.

Things I'd consider:

* simulcast issues; I don't know the system but digital simulcast is a problem everywhere

* are the sites you aren't trying to receive "in range" ; if you hold on any of these sites, do you see a fairly solid "DAT" being displayed (indicating that the control channel is being received and processed)? If not, it is likely:

- the site is out of range
- that the control channel frequency isn't properly identified/reported/programmed for that site or,
- you're seeing the affects of simulcast issues

* are all service types enabled?

* are the user sets you are expecting to hear actually live and on the system yet?

* unlike older systems and conventional channels, many times users aren't carried on all sites and/or at all times

Obviously, the first step is to receive and process the control channel (see "DAT" displayed for the site in question). If that isn't working, you're done.

Once the control channel is processing, then you can look at other possible issues.

MarkBuck7

Premium Subscriber
Reply to all

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions....Since posting the thread I have some new information which of course raises additional questions.....

First, some additional information about this system....Currently although many users and talk-groups are created, the actual usage is in fact relatively small. The largest issue in my mind is this: Since the frequencies are presumably correct, even if not listed out to the 5th decimal place (And yes, I did have a typo in my original post regarding the frequency in the scanner), I believe there may be an even larger issue due to the large number of sites listed for the system and having no simulcast sites near my location. To be more specific, although some of the user groups are probably not simulcast, many probably are due to the users being "statewide". There are only 4 or 5 simulcast sites listed, none nearby, and about 30 other area specific sites listed, some in range and others not. I believe part of the problem is that even assuming that a specific user group is simulcast across all the sites, it stands to reason that the scanner can't receive all of the listed sites due to distance from them to the scanner...So, I believe, that when a transmission is being broadcast, many times, even if simulcast across all the sites, the scanner simply isn't on one of the "in range" sites, thereby it loses or misses entirely the transmission. If somehow the scanner knew where it was in relation to one of the sites (like I believe an actual radio would), then perhaps it would know which site to lock onto. Without locking on to the closest site, the scanner appears to just continue to scan all of them and thus misses partly or entirely the transmission because it doesn't "hit" upon a site in range at the same time a transmission is occurring. Now, I could go in and delete all the sites not close to my home so as to "speed things up" while scanning, but this is not a realistic solution when I travel since other sites would be in range then. Does this appraisal make sense? And, if it does, can it be overcome? I do have my zip code entered in and a "20" mile range entered. I also see the "DAT" tag along with the "NFM" tag at the bottom of the display....many thanks in advance.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A transmission for a talk group will only be carried on a site if there is a subscriber radio affiliated on that site that is set for that talk group. It would be very rare for a channel to be on every site in a statewide system.

It appears you have a different definition of "simulcast" in mind that is used for trunked systems. Simulcast can mean simultaneously carried on multiple frequencies, but in trunked radio systems it means that multiple sites are all carrying exactly the same traffic on exactly the same frequencies (to the subscriber radio, the simulcast area appears as a single site). This is done over a relatively small area (like around a city) so as to provide adequate signal penetration through terrain and structure. Simulcast is never used statewide.

Even "statewide" talk groups behave this way. If someone has a radio on set for one of the statewide talk groups drives across the state, the talk group traffic will only appear on a local tower for as long as their radio is using that particular site. When they move out of a site's service area and into another site's area, the traffic will drop from the first and start appearing on the next (assuming no other affiliated radios on that TG on that site).

As you surmise, it would be best to only have the scanner check nearby, receivable sites. It will waste time and miss traffic if it is set to scan all sites. But, entering your zip and setting the range to a lower value would minimize that issue (20 miles is generally going to be too big for efficient scanning).

If you travel a lot by car, connect a GPS to the scanner so that sites will be automatically turned on/off as you relocate.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
NJICS is also a bit unique in that its a hybrid 700 system which is a combo of simulcast cells and multisite locations so in some locations you will get everything and in other locations you will only hear whats meant to be heard on that site for the person affiliated on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.