Problems with Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help with the COM Ports! idk how to make this work! please help see pics! how do i fix this? My software doesnt let me change it to any one other then One

Attachments

• Captureihj.JPG
    Captureihj.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 411

garys

Premium Subscriber
You need to find the drivers for the USB to serial adapter you are trying to use. Search for "Prolific USB to serial driver". That should bring you a site that has the drivers. Download and install the drivers and try again.

You need to find the drivers for the USB to serial adapter you are trying to use. Search for "Prolific USB to serial driver". That should bring you a site that has the drivers. Download and install the drivers and try again.

Do i need to uninstall it first? or just download it?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you use this port previously on something like a bluetooth or a USB driven camera software package? Sometimes devices like these will allocate a port and hang it up - even when the device is disconnected.

Just a thought...best regards...Mike

OCO

I don't believe that the device he wants is the Prolific.. If he goes to the bottom of the Kenwood page he posted in the other thread he started, it downloads a Silicon Labs driver, not a Prolific (which may be for another cable/scanner setup)...

I don't believe that the device he wants is the Prolific.. If he goes to the bottom of the Kenwood page he posted in the other thread he started, it downloads a Silicon Labs driver, not a Prolific (which may be for another cable/scanner setup)...

Oh ok let me see about that. thanks

OCO

That's a pretty concise set of instruction - make sure you don't plug anything in until you're totally done with the driver install...

Ok so the its updated all the way but when I try to use it...it says error code 10 so I try to update it but it says windows thinks this is the newest update blah blah blah...so its updated but not working! UGH!
Thanks everyone...

cpuerror

It's probably because you have convertor that doesn't use genuine prolific chips. The OEM drivers won't work with them. But if you go to the download page of my site, I have some older drivers which don't know the difference and should work.

OK so i got the Code 10 error to go away but no luck!!! on the software I cant change it to anything but 1 so i changed 6 to 1 in the device but still didnt work any ideas??????

Attachments

• 8765.jpg
    8765.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 345

JonCinMN

It's probably because you have convertor that doesn't use genuine prolific chips. The OEM drivers won't work with them. But if you go to the download page of my site, I have some older drivers which don't know the difference and should work.

The software at the bottom of the download page solved my same problem for my Win7 machine, but now I need the one for XP but the links on the FreeScan site are dead.

I was able to google the driver for Win7, but I can't find the XP one anywhere else but your site.

"Windows XP Prolific DriversThese are handy drivers to have if you are using XP or 2000 and the Prolific drivers are producing a “Code 10” error. This frequently happens with cheap $2 USB-Serial adapters. The latest Prolific drivers seem to not get along with them, however, these older “GPS” drivers will work just fine. "

BTW, I've got a cheap cable I bought from MonoPrice and the newer drivers don't work.

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.