• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Problems with radius M100

Status
Not open for further replies.

leitung

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I am a rookie here, and I am trying to setup my radius m100 as a base station. Now heres my issue, I bought a 13.8v 10 amp power supply, and hooked up the radio to that, the power supply blew the fuse, I replace it and disconnect the radio, bam pops the fuse again, and again the third time. So i am assuming my $50 power supply is toast.

Next issue, I connect the radio to crappy 12v 500mA power supply I ghetto rigged from an old linksys power supply, just to test the radio. It powers on and recieves no problem. Now when I go to transmit using that setup, the channel light blinks rapidly between red and green and I hardly get no reception through the repeater, now I assuming that this is because there is not enough juice coming from the power supply. Am I correct in this assumption? Also, what power supply do you recommend for this kind of setup?

Thanks for all the help you can offer.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
You are correct that the smaller supply can't handle the transmit side.

However, if that is a 40 watt radio or higher power, the 10 amps may not be enough. Try a 15 AMP supply.

leitung

Premium Subscriber
It's a 25 watt radio model # D34LRA73A5CK, I was thinking that 10amp would be plenty. I guess I am going to have to toss some $ on a good 20 amp supply or so eh?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
It's a 25 watt radio model # D34LRA73A5CK, I was thinking that 10amp would be plenty. I guess I am going to have to toss some $ on a good 20 amp supply or so eh?

10 Amps is the correct rating needed for a ps for that radio. I believe the correct Motorola item is HPN4002 if you wanted to go that route. I have one running right here in the office right now powering a CM300. There are two of those supplies up on Ebay right now for about $46 each including shipping.

HPN4007 is the part number for the 15 amp supply from Motorola for their 50 watt radios. None on Ebay at the moment, but they come and go.

kermitdafrog

Premium Subscriber

A car battery with a trickle charger comes to mind. That's how I have always run my 100 watt ham tranceivers for years ... never bought a supply

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
did it blow the fuse on TX, or instantly? if instantly then you have the radio hooked up backwards. if only on tx, and it works fine on RX, then you just need a bigger PS. i've seen crappy "20A" power supplies that won't handle a 10A load more than a second. then again i've seen good 20A power supplies that will handle 30+A for a few minutes continuous load.

leitung

Premium Subscriber
No it blew instantly, then even after I removed the connection to the radio it kept blowing fuses right as I turned it on.
I just got a Motorola power supply on eBay, 49 bucks shipped.
The radio works, that's the main thing.

leitung

Premium Subscriber
10 Amps is the correct rating needed for a ps for that radio. I believe the correct Motorola item is HPN4002 if you wanted to go that route. I have one running right here in the office right now powering a CM300. There are two of those supplies up on Ebay right now for about $46 each including shipping.

HPN4007 is the part number for the 15 amp supply from Motorola for their 50 watt radios. None on Ebay at the moment, but they come and go.

Thanks for the info!! I picked up one of those on eBay last night. Hopefully that will solve my woes. I am really looking forward to making this happen.

K

kb0nly

If its blowing fuses the second you turn it on, and i assume you mean the fuse in the DC output side and not the fuse that protects the AC input side, then you obviously have a dead short somewhere.

I would check it out, your not out nothing now since its basically useless. Tear it apart!

leitung

Premium Subscriber
If its blowing fuses the second you turn it on, and i assume you mean the fuse in the DC output side and not the fuse that protects the AC input side, then you obviously have a dead short somewhere.

I would check it out, your not out nothing now since its basically useless. Tear it apart!

Its the little fuse that unscrews in the back. Maybe I will do some surgery on it and see whats going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.