Problems with Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdelao_16

Hello everyone,

I have a whistler WS1080 scanner and it's scanning on P25 Phase I trunked in the 800mhz band. I works just fine next to the windows in the kitchen and if I'm out in the car, but it will NOT work in my bedroom on the dresser or by the window in there. I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this and what are some fixes I can do to make it work a little better in the house.

baptistjcat

I have the same problem at my house. Some spots work great and then the same spots not so great. What i have is a small tv anteena on a a 25 foot cable so i can post my anteena were it is working best at that time.

goodmore

I came from a Uniden 536 to TRX-2. The Uniden had major distortion problems. The Whistler is like a dream machine in comparison. I tried all kinds of things with the Uniden. If it wasn't for this new TRX-2 I probably would have quit the hobby. I know what a miserable listening experience is. I hope you find a solution. Maybe a longer interface cable to the detachable head? I don't know how long you can go. Maybe put the scanner where it works in the house and see if it works with a long cable?

SCPD

QRT
I monitor a P25 sites with a TRX2 and 536 side by side both using identical antennas and find they are equal scanning the sustem but the TRX has much better audio by far
As for cable length for the remote head, I''ve read posts claiming over 25 feet

I came from a Uniden 536 to TRX-2. The Uniden had major distortion problems. The Whistler is like a dream machine in comparison. I tried all kinds of things with the Uniden. If it wasn't for this new TRX-2 I probably would have quit the hobby. I know what a miserable listening experience is. I hope you find a solution. Maybe a longer interface cable to the detachable head? I don't know how long you can go. Maybe put the scanner where it works in the house and see if it works with a long cable?

bailly2

how many bars of signal strength are you getting, if its weak signal get an roottop antenna. if its simulcast distortion because they are using LSM, then put the antenna though a hole in a side of an empty paint can near the bottom. best thing for a scanner that doesn't handle LSM well

teufler

what I have found is less is more so to speak.Simulcast is broadcasting from multiple sites and out scanners pick them all up. Hence the gargle sound. If you can isolate one tower, you will hear everyhing clearer. Either with a beam that cuts reception on the towers except one, or by using the barest smallest antenna that picks up the closest but is not good enough to pick up the far towers. So I use a rubber duck from Motorola, it seems to pick up the closest tower and yet the towers further away or lower in signal strength. I have tried an 6 element yagi for 800 mhz from ebay, oddly it works better aiming at a tower further away because the closer tower, its a line to another so I pick up multiple towers. I am in the middle of the county with 6 towers around me. If I was further out, the beam would probably be the antenna of choice. Ebay has the 800 beams for $16.00.

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
simulcast monitoring

i have discovered a way to monitor P25 simulcast after years of frustrations
the simulcast system in my area is in the 769-774 mhz range .
try this ...if you have a telescopic antenna extend it to the full wave length
of the lowest frequency in the system , you can use an online RF wave length
calculator to do this ..in my case 15 and 1/2 inches works great
in the past i have used many types of antennas and so far i am picking up
all talk groups with no problems

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
My WS1098 KILLS my TRX-2 on the San Diego 700MHz LSM Phase I system...the TRX is a garbled unintelligible mess, the WS1098 is crystal clear...same antenna, same settings.

Paul

radio3353

i have discovered a way to monitor P25 simulcast after years of frustrations
the simulcast system in my area is in the 769-774 mhz range .
try this ...if you have a telescopic antenna extend it to the full wave length
of the lowest frequency in the system , you can use an online RF wave length
calculator to do this ..in my case 15 and 1/2 inches works great
in the past i have used many types of antennas and so far i am picking up
all talk groups with no problems

More black magic :roll:. The real problem is in the receiver's design, not playing games with the antenna. What radio are you using? Also, realize that while this may work for you it likely won't work for anybody else who doesn't have your same location situation in relation to the system's towers. Does your 'solution' work when mobile?.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The problem is there is more than one way to skin a cat, as there is more than one way for these "receivers" to get hit with LSM RF.

Paul

dancrosoft

I know this is prob not what OP wants to hear but I fought with this issue for 5 months or so on my TRX1. I have read just about every post on any forum I could find and nothing worked. I was able to get it somewhat working but still no where near clear and what I would call usable.

I gave up and bought a Unication G5 a couple days ago. It is hard to describe the level of satisfaction I got when I uploaded my first profile and instantly got clear audio on all talk groups.

I dont mean to knock Whistler as I think Uniden has issues too but they really need to fix this somehow.

It is unfortunate as I pretty much have a $450 conventional only scanner now that my area is all P25 :(

radio3353

Yup, the G4/G5 is the way to go for now for simulcast. Everything else for most people is smoke and mirrors. Maybe the SDS100 from Uniden will become another contender. Time will tell.

I_am_Alpha1

Motorola XTS5000 or XTL5000. Many on E-Bay right now and are cheaper than Uniden, Whistler, or Gx. They work with simulcast because that is what they are designed to do.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yup, the G4/G5 is the way to go for now for simulcast. Everything else for most people is smoke and mirrors. Maybe the SDS100 from Uniden will become another contender. Time will tell.

While the G4/G5 may be good at decoding P25 simulcast systems, they're seriously lacking features/capabilities when compared to scanners.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I know this is prob not what OP wants to hear but I fought with this issue for 5 months or so on my TRX1. I have read just about every post on any forum I could find and nothing worked. I was able to get it somewhat working but still no where near clear and what I would call usable.

I gave up and bought a Unication G5 a couple days ago. It is hard to describe the level of satisfaction I got when I uploaded my first profile and instantly got clear audio on all talk groups.

I dont mean to knock Whistler as I think Uniden has issues too but they really need to fix this somehow.

It is unfortunate as I pretty much have a $450 conventional only scanner now that my area is all P25 :(

Press release from Whistler today announced the TRX100 and TRX200...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Why didn't you return it? Or sell it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.