Problems with SLATER scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickP1130

Premium Subscriber
This is my first time using a digital scanner (TRX-1) and I'm trying to scan the central county 911 south channels (South Dispatch, South Main, Tac20-29). I have inputted everything into a scanlist and have heard very little. Every now and then I pick up the end/beginning of a transmission very clearly but the transmission cuts of. I know this for a fact because when I listen to a live feed I hear the unit continue to talk. I live in Wildwood just north of the intersection of hwy 109 and 100. I have put in the north, south and St. Charles site, as I'm kind of in the middle of all the sits and I am not sure which one the south channels use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pb_lonny

It would be good to know what radio was being used for the feed and where they are located compared to yourself.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
For your location, use the south site. From what I've read, the TRX-1 will struggle with the SLATER system due to simulcast issues.
Yep, Simulcast (LSM) and Slater don't mix well at all.

Either an Uniden SDS100 or 200 model or Unication G series pager are the only real answer to get decent reception from Slater. The Unication radio is not really a scanner and can be hard to program so one of the Uniden SDS models are usually preferred. Neither solution are cheap however.

NickP1130, generally you will want the South site but the southern fire districts are also often heard on the north site.
The St. Charles site does not carry any CCE911 traffic, their site is limited to their fire dispatch centers. The Jefferson county site is also restricted to that counties EMS/Fire dispatch centers.

You can try playing with different antennas and placement but you will probably be frustrated with this.

Good Luck!

NickP1130

Premium Subscriber
Alright thanks for the help, I do have a new 700-900 mhz antenna in the mail right now so hopefully that will help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.