• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Problems with Vertex Standard VX-231 EG6B-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruca

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm sorry to be abusing your hospitality straight away with a problem but this is what brought me here in the first place.

Recently (9 or 10 months ago) our company acquired 6 Vertex VX-231 Two Way radios. Everyone was very happy with the radios until recently where all the radios started to not transmit. Even straight off the charger they'd just receive and if you wanted to transmit anything they'd only beep.

I've been looking everywhere for information on this and couldn't find anything documenting this problem or anything similar. Everything leads me to believe that it has to do with the batteries on the units as I've tried to swap the batteries around from units that are working into units that aren't and they seem to work. This could have something to do with charging but even straight out of the charger they do the same, some units just beep once when you press the PTT and don't transmit but the radio stays on for hours if you leave it alone so it shouldn't have anything to do with lack of charge.

Other thing is that it could be a configuration issue somewhere in the radio but I couldn't find anything about this either.

Anyone has any idea what may be happening to us? This is causing some disruption recently in the company and although the units are still under warranty I didn't want to have to send them away and make do with no radios for God knows how long.

Thank you very much for any help you can dispense.

Regards,

Rod

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
call vertex directly to get the shipping address for the warranty repairs.If they are under warranty they will be fix promtly and overnight shipped back to you. 1-2 weeks max usually has been my experience.

KJ6HCB

Yes - Call Vertex if you accquired them less than a year ago as you said. You will ship them to Vertex in SoCal and they will call and advise of the issue and ship them back no charge. They make it easy.

Crap - just saw you were in Ireland. Well - call or email first and advise of the issues.

VSTech

The battery contacts on the VX-231 portables are adjusted in manufacturing too high and causing the battery to short to ground.

Resolution: Take a pair of pliers and pull the battery contacts down and out a little, this will keep them from shorting and also causing intermittent power loss issues.

If the battery fails to charge, due to this issue place a 7.4Vdc @ 3A positive to positive, negative to negative, this will rewake the lithium battery, might need to do this for a minute or so...

Also you should look into the technical bulletins for the FNB-V103LI battery and other resolved problems

Status
Not open for further replies.