• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrplmil

I paid my fees like most people on this forum. Is this forum designed to see who can make the newbe feel the dumbest or what? I see all the time someone asked a question and get chewed up. Someone else will post something and get chewed out for duping something. I will probally get ragged for this but I think this forum is to help the individual to advance their scanning fun. If someone monitors this forum for a day then he or she is already afraid to ask a question and when they do they are constantly saying how sorry they are for having to ask the question in the first place. You dont get new people by treating them like trash you get them by treating them with a little respect. That goes to the moderators too. Thank you for hearing me.

car2back

I see what you're saying, jrplmil. there's alot of jerks on here as well as those wanting to be helpful. just take 'em as they come and stand up for your self.

jrplmil

I will give you the same answer they get. Its in the database find it.
not very nice

OpSec

Code 21, Status 7
Database Admin
jrplmil said:
not very nice
Then you are only adding to the problem by having the same bad attitude as those that are complaining about.

SEMTTP

jrplmil said:
not very nice
This is the problem..

A lot of times someone that is brand new does not know exactly how to search the new database that they were directed to or just found. A lot of people are looking for an easy answer, and this is were I feel Radio Reference fails. This website has come a very long ways, and we(I say we i mean folks that are advanced radio operators) need to remember that we started with the dumb question. We need to help out the new person no matter how dumb or stupid the question is. If the answer is in the database somewhere then help them then direct them to where the answer would be.

It never hurts to help someone, never. The only dumb or stupid question is the one that is not asked. I feel for the new people and quite a few people dont even post here because they do watch and do see the way people get treated here. We have to remember that we are all in this together and we need to help one another.

cnmsales

Premium Subscriber
SEMTTP said:
This is the problem..

A lot of times someone that is brand new does not know exactly how to search the new database that they were directed to or just found. A lot of people are looking for an easy answer, and this is were I feel Radio Reference fails. This website has come a very long ways, and we(I say we i mean folks that are advanced radio operators) need to remember that we started with the dumb question. We need to help out the new person no matter how dumb or stupid the question is. If the answer is in the database somewhere then help them then direct them to where the answer would be.

It never hurts to help someone, never. The only dumb or stupid question is the one that is not asked. I feel for the new people and quite a few people dont even post here because they do watch and do see the way people get treated here. We have to remember that we are all in this together and we need to help one another.

Well said.

If you dont like the repeated questions then dont post here. You only bring more harm to the forum instead of being helpful. I got a better idea for you. Instead of worrying about the RR forum how about you go see a shrink for your OCD or maybe find a forum for that. Then you and all your OCD pals can keep that forum nice and neat with the 3 or 4 post that will be made there.

N2MWE

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad someone finally mentioned that. Someone comes here, probably the best site for radio, and asks a question, then gets told "Google it," or other smart ass answers. If you have nothing to help answer the question, then say nothing at all.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

"Someone comes here, probably the best site for radio, and asks a question, then gets told "Google it," or other smart ass answers. If you have nothing to help answer the question, then say nothing at all."

Have you considered the possibility that sort of answer is the BEST answer? Making them work for it builds character or so my teachers told me back when school meant work. Work meant something to both teacher and student, giving them an easy out with a pat answer doesn't build motivational research skills. When was the last time you went to the library and searched for study material? OK, now you do it on line so it's the same thing and FYI we have a perfectly good library right HERE if you guys would take the time to use it. If you're having trouble, keep reading.

No Mr. Newbie, it's not your questions that make you look stupid, it's your lack of questioning skill. If you ask the right question you get the right answer so try "I'm having trouble with ____, can someone direct me to some information about it?" rather than asking the same (dumb) question countless others have asked before. There are no mysteries of the universe, today's magic is tomorrow's science and scientists are also researchers.

jrplmil

I am sure glad you were not my Elmer. Such a poor answer. I guess your answer would be the same for someone who does not know how to goggle. I am an expert and I can’t find everything. At times I might have to use 20 key words to get close to what I need so your answer is a very poor answer and you probably cant answer the question yourself. You should think before popping off too others. They deserve an answer.

flyingwolf

I think the basic feeling is summed up with this old saying.

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.

If we simply answer every single question that comes through then it becomes simply an answering service.

Lindsay has designed a site, that while intimidating at first, can lead to a large amount of learning and new ideas and discovery.

Frankly, some people do come in and ask the dumbest questions.

Think about this.

If a person goes to the General forum, and asks "What is the frequency for McDonalds", now mind you they havent filled out thier profile so we dont know where they live, they didnt say anything more then whats the freq, and thats al there is to work on, seriously, that type of question deserves the "look it up dip****" answer.

JMR3865

jrplmil said:
I am sure glad you were not my Elmer. Such a poor answer. I guess your answer would be the same for someone who does not know how to goggle. I am an expert and I can’t find everything. At times I might have to use 20 key words to get close to what I need so your answer is a very poor answer and you probably cant answer the question yourself. You should think before popping off too others. They deserve an answer.
I 2nd that!!!!

PortCop

flyingwolf said:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime.

I thought it was "give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk with his buddies."

Seriously thought, I think what cranks people here is in fact the lack of effort some people make in finding information. They want everything done for them. Instead of clicking on "Database" they'd rather head to a forum and ask "does anyone know the frequencies for NYPD?"

Last edited:

cnmsales

Premium Subscriber
I think some should keep in mind that there are many referred here that may not use the internet very much at all. I know I have sent several folks from work to this site for help and some of those folks barely use a computer.

seamusg

flyingwolf said:
I think the basic feeling is summed up with this old saying.

If we simply answer every single question that comes through then it becomes simply an answering service.

Lindsay has designed a site, that while intimidating at first, can lead to a large amount of learning and new ideas and discovery.

Frankly, some people do come in and ask the dumbest questions.

Think about this.

If a person goes to the General forum, and asks "What is the frequency for McDonalds", now mind you they havent filled out thier profile so we dont know where they live, they didnt say anything more then whats the freq, and thats al there is to work on, seriously, that type of question deserves the "look it up dip****" answer.
Here's a good example of a bad question.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47432
Some people are afraid to say where they are at and think someone can help. I just delt with one that didn't say where he was at and said he couldn't get his local P25 system to work. He had a problem at first saying where he was. It turned out that his local system was not a P25 system but a MOT II system.

jrplmil

yes that you might call a dumb question but if he did not know any better it was a question. I have got a lot of dispatches from excited people and all the could say was fire but did not say where. Is that dumb? I dont think so.

SEMTTP

seamusg said:
Here's a good example of a bad question.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47432
Some people are afraid to say where they are at and think someone can help. I just delt with one that didn't say where he was at and said he couldn't get his local P25 system to work. He had a problem at first saying where he was. It turned out that his local system was not a P25 system but a MOT II system.

So that makes it ok to call it a dumb question??? I see it like this, if you dont want to help someone then dont respond, if all you can think or say is it is a dumb question then you should not answer it. Let someone that does not think it is a dumb question answer. I mean get real guys, there are a lot of dumb questions here, but this is how people learn, most are just getting use to the site and have no idea about the database and that it includes all this info. After asking a few questions and getting the help from the members they will understand that and eventually start using it on a day to day basis. If you are not hear to help someone else get to know the hobby what are you really here for then???

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Dumb question or not, some people on here just don't have welcoming personalities or any personality at all.

I have seen numerous threads where a response addressing a question didn't offer any useful information what so ever other than giving a good indication about the type of person. Such as http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47256 The information they do provide is they can't be bothered with something they don't know about, care about or care to explain.

I know it took a while for me and still does to find things in the wiki section. Sometimes I do a web search and end up through a link in the wiki and don't know how to find it again going through the website. Does that mean I didn't look for it?

I have to agree that if you don't have anything positive to offer or at least if negative is all you have to offer, than hold the delete key before you hit the submit button. At a minimum it keeps the length of the threads smaller and those of us willing to help don't have to sort through tons of crap to see if the question has been answered.

To jrplmil; your going to have people like this anywhere. Sometimes it seems like there is more when you have a group of old timers (nothing meant) that have nothing else to do when the bands are down other than vent on the web. You'll start to recognize those ids that you will skip right over and those that have useful information. Welcome and enjoy it.

One last thing that this thread reminded me of. I recently saw a HomeDepot commercial of a guy working on a sink. His son comes in asking if he can help. Dad explains that the job was for grown-ups. His son turns and walks away in disappointment. Dad then calls out to his son and asks if he wants to hold the flashlight.
http://www.homedepot.com.edgesuite.net/nsdata/videos/CanIHelp.wmv

I don't think it's about needing help with a flashlight. It's about fostering a relationship that can't be had tomorrow. I don't know. Maybe I'm way off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.