Procom Spider Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDScanFan

I have never used one. Best I can tell it appears to be similar to a discone but with fewer elements and upward swept driven elements. My guess is that it would perform worse than a standard discone. I suggest going with the proven standard discone design.

prcguy

It appears the Procom Spider was designed by someone in advertising and not an antenna engineer. It has four ground radials with a vertical element and four bent horizontal elements attached to the feedpoint. In the mistaken minds of its inventor they may have thought the extra bent elements might pick up more signal but in reality when you have two or more elements attached to the same point going in opposite directions, they cancel radiation or pickup on receive.

This does make you wonder if they had a Discone in mind but a Discone has to be made to some specific dimensions and ratios to work as a Discone and the Spider doesn't even come close to those ratios. There may be a little radiation from the aperture between the ground radials and elements but the top whip will interact and the end result would be unpredictable and questionable.

My honest opinion is put your money into a proven design that is known to work well.

bharvey2

From the illustration, it looks like there is a downward facing element making it something akin to a vertical dipole with some funky elements meant to look like ground radials. However the feedline is parallel to the downward element, not in keeping with the practice of running it perpendicular to the elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.