• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM Professional Radio CPS - MDC Signaling Greyed-Out

KN6FCR

Hi everyone. Currently trying to set up MDC1200 on a couple radios. Came across the signaling menus when trying to edit a conventional personality being greyed out. Find it strange since I could configure a mdc call list and edit some options. But I cannot apply it to a channel. Weird. I'll put a screenshot here. Software version: R05.10.02

image_2023-02-23_175657751.png

KN6FCR

What model radio? Certain models don’t support MDC1200.
CDM1550LS+ If it supports analog trunking I’d guess it would support mdc. Plus I remember reading somewhere that it did but I guess not somehow

emtprt

Premium Subscriber
I have run into trunking models that won’t support mdc1200 signaling from the factory. You need to decode the long model number that starts with AA. The repeater/builder.com site website has a reference for CDM radios.

scfd4

Zip tie technician
Definitely supports MDC1200 encode/decode

Attachments

• BFD01D42-55C8-4A98-BAE2-8A9BBA13FA82.jpeg
    BFD01D42-55C8-4A98-BAE2-8A9BBA13FA82.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 14

a417

What version of the CPS was the radio last hit with? Usually it will throw a "codeplug too new" error if it's way out of wack, but that might be a slightly incompatible codeplug in the radio with your CPS. 5.10.02 is quite old, do you have access to newer?

I've fought long and hard with Pro series signalling (especially the LS+ models), what are the last 3 of the model number?

K2NEC

There is a 16 channel version of the CDM1550LS+ that is meant to be a trunking radio. It supports MDC on LTR ONLY. This is likely the model that OP has.
The 160 channel version supports MDC on analog as well as LTR.

If the model number ends in 5AN then it's the 16 channel only version, if it ends in 6AN it's the 160 channel version supporting MDC on both. Technically both models allow MDC encode and decode, it just depends on whether it's on conventional or LTR

a417

If he's lucky it's 6AN or 7AN.

We fought for years with the purchasing agent on our LTR CDM1550LS+s. Empty promises, questionable controllers, nonsense, incompatible options w/ requirements etc... Shortly before the sunset of those radios, a few of them made depot trips - and came back with firmware that supported more signalling options.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
There sure seems to be a lot of discrepancy between model nomenclature as-documented and as-built out there. Having said that, according to my secret decoder ring spreadsheet, the CDM model charts say that the "Feature level" (the 11th character / last numeric) has these values:
  • 1: 4 channel (CDM750)
  • 2: 64 channel (CDM1250)
  • 5: 128 channel (CDM1550, CDM1550•LS, CDM1550•LS+); MDC on LTR on VHFHi only (no mention of MDC on other bands)
  • 6: 160 channel (CDM1550•LS+); QCII, MDC on LTR and conventional on VHFHi, MDC on conventional on other bands
  • 8: 160 channel (only in the Radio Model Information and not in any config shown in the Model Charts)

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I always had the impression that the odd variety of combinations were driven by large customer contracts. Instead of giving away a feature to everyone else, or creating the overhead of an SP, or needing to change or re-bid an RFQ, they just add the feature to one narrow combination. Perhaps @a417 's agency was responsible. ;)

a417

I always had the impression that the odd variety of combinations were driven by large customer contracts. Instead of giving away a feature to everyone else, or creating the overhead of an SP, or needing to change or re-bid an RFQ, they just add the feature to one narrow combination. Perhaps @a417 's agency was responsible. ;)
It was really very weird, we complained (small agency mind you, maybe 50 radios total of the entire town's allotment) about being told this - and getting that. Right before the radio shop 'cut ties' with moto (not sure who drove that issue to the ground) we were told to exchange our entire allocation - and got these fresh from the depot frankenradios with UHF 6AN and 7AN HTs that didn't match up with literature like @AM909 posted. It worked, we kinda sorta got what we needed, and those radios were unicorns compared to the rest of what's out there.

I'd hate to think the radio shop we had forced on us had anything to do with it, it would ...'modify'...their reputation in my mind. I legitimately think that someone at moto said "we can get these guys off our backs if we click these boxes on the firmware builder and see if it works". (y)

Last edited: