BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Profile settings? Backlight? Key Beep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Had the 436 about ... I guess it's been about 2 weeks. Can't say as I'm having a good time. BC100, BC300, BC800XLT, BC200XLT, BC3000XLT, BC780XLT, BC250D, BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD996XTs ... all were fun within a day or three.

Not so much this one. :-/

Took some time, but got past the corrupted SD card. Twice, actually. First time, Windows had no issue reformatting it (it was corrupt from the get-go). This time, the radio could read the card, but nothing else. W7 in a VM couldn't see it. WXP on an old Dell could see it, but would lock up if I dared to try to format it. Fortunately, my Mac Book Pro could see it and reformat it. After that, XP could see it and I was able to reformat it again. Fine. Buggy implementation. Whatever.

Now, how come every time I load my data, I have to turn off the gawd-awful key beep (an annoyance not unique to the BCD436HP!) and reset the backlight function? Surely this is saved somewhere but where?

Systems and Groups (and Sites) were simple compared to this.

lugnuts

Premium Subscriber
I just got mine a few days ago and its been great.

all my settings so far have stayed they way I set them in the menue

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Had the 436 about ... I guess it's been about 2 weeks. Can't say as I'm having a good time. BC100, BC300, BC800XLT, BC200XLT, BC3000XLT, BC780XLT, BC250D, BCD396T, BCD396XT, BCD996XTs ... all were fun within a day or three.

Not so much this one. :-/

Took some time, but got past the corrupted SD card. Twice, actually. First time, Windows had no issue reformatting it (it was corrupt from the get-go). This time, the radio could read the card, but nothing else. W7 in a VM couldn't see it. WXP on an old Dell could see it, but would lock up if I dared to try to format it. Fortunately, my Mac Book Pro could see it and reformat it. After that, XP could see it and I was able to reformat it again. Fine. Buggy implementation. Whatever.

Now, how come every time I load my data, I have to turn off the gawd-awful key beep (an annoyance not unique to the BCD436HP!) and reset the backlight function? Surely this is saved somewhere but where?

Systems and Groups (and Sites) were simple compared to this.
Both the Display settings (Dimmer & Contrast [I use 12 on my 436]) as well as Key Beep setting (volume or "off") are changeable in the Profile. Use the Edit Profile function, either from the Edit menu, the shortcut <Ctrl>+<1>, or the icon just under the "V" in 'View', that looks like a pencil over a piece of lined paper. Those settings can be accessed and changed on the miscellaneous tab.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Both the Display settings (Dimmer & Contrast [I use 12 on my 436]) as well as Key Beep setting (volume or "off") are changeable in the Profile. Use the Edit Profile function, either from the Edit menu, the shortcut <Ctrl>+<1>, or the icon just under the "V" in 'View', that looks like a pencil over a piece of lined paper. Those settings can be accessed and changed on the miscellaneous tab.

There it is! I'd missed it among the 27 other tabs (each with 332 settings). :lol:

Thanks for getting me to look again.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber

Thank you for this. I've found it annoying having to change it every time, too.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Annnnd ... SD is corrupted again ... :mad:
Dang!

Only corrupted card I've had so far with my 436 was when it was beeping at me, "batteries are low, dummy". So dummy here popped the cover & pulled the batteries for a change without shutting down the scanner correctly first. Well, that works, no problem, on the 396's, but not the 436. But that was my fault, not the scanner.

However, based on the volume of reports, there's either a bad batch of cars, or some of the sockets are not working well. I changed mine to a higher capacity Kingston card, which I had planned to do anyway, and so far, have not had a repetition.

I do have my 536 plugged into one of my UPS units, along with my wifi router and broadband modem. So it's somewhat insulated from power glitches.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
FYI, you need multiple SD cards so if one get corrupt you have spare ready and programmed to put in the scanner and get it back up and working immediately.

I'll sell the radio before I buy a replacement SD. Not worth the trouble. :mad:

JamesO

I'll sell the radio before I buy a replacement SD. Not worth the trouble. :mad:

$10 SD card is not worth the trouble? Problem is most of the more advanced scanners that have the ability to record have SD cards.

Its not clear at this point if the problem is SD card, scanner(s) or both?

I am just trying to gather data to determine if there is a "pattern" or "trend" to what is going on and to determine if the problem is actually the orignal SD cards or if there is more to all of this.

XTS3000

Remember many memory cards sold on eBay and amazon (just to name a few) are counterfeit. I would highly recommend buying one from a B&M store to make sure your getting what you've paid for. Sure, it may cost a bit more, but at least it will be the real deal. Same holds true for BT headsets....

plaws

Premium Subscriber
$10 SD card is not worth the trouble? Problem is most of the more advanced scanners that have the ability to record have SD cards.

Its not clear at this point if the problem is SD card, scanner(s) or both?

I am just trying to gather data to determine if there is a "pattern" or "trend" to what is going on and to determine if the problem is actually the orignal SD cards or if there is more to all of this.

I don't have any spare SD cards and I'm not making a special trip to the store to buy one when the one that came with the Five Hundred Dollar Radio should work. SanDisk is a good brand - never had any issue with them before. If it's counterfeit from the factory, well, shame on Uniden.

I have not given up yet, but it's getting close.

The good news is that someone will get a good deal on a rarely used radio

And as I said up front, this is about my 10th Uniden, including four DMA scanners, so it's not like I'm confused by the lack of crystals.

JamesO

I don't have any spare SD cards and I'm not making a special trip to the store to buy one when the one that came with the Five Hundred Dollar Radio should work. SanDisk is a good brand - never had any issue with them before. If it's counterfeit from the factory, well, shame on Uniden.

I have not given up yet, but it's getting close.

The good news is that someone will get a good deal on a rarely used radio

And as I said up front, this is about my 10th Uniden, including four DMA scanners, so it's not like I'm confused by the lack of crystals.

Well if you were like me, I threw everything I could at the SD card and could not recover it. 3 separate SD card/storage medium formatters, attempted to formate internally in 2 different cameras and 3 different laptops running 3 different Windows OS.

Was unable to bring back the card form the dead.

As for SanDisk, they are usually a good brand, but even SanDisk has had problems over the years. So it may be a "genuine" card that is from a bad batch.

Not sure how you can pin this on Uniden?

Anyway, this is why I started the other thread, I need people that have had SD card problems to report in. This was there will be some data that will hopefully point to either a bad batch of SD cards or it may point somewhere else, but the data will tell the story. Without the data, it is only just a wild guess as to what is going on.

If I have no further card problems, the the issue is pretty clear that the orignal card was likely problematic?

If replacement card(s) have issues, well, then it there is likely more to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.