Profiles and startup configuration keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

When I add a new favorites list into a new startup key configuration am I creating a new "profile" that can be changed in the scanner itself and not just through Sentinel? I am just not quite getting the whole profile thing and in particular whether profiles can be changed in the scanner itself.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
No, you are not creating a new profile or chaning an existing profile.

Startup Keys only apply to Favorites Lists and whether a Favorites List will be monitored. The following comes from page 50 of the user manual:

When you use Startup Configuration, the scanner checks all Favorites Lists and:

1. Favorites whose Startup Key matches the one the user pressed are changed to Monitor Status On.

2. Favorites whose Startup Key Does Not match the one the user pressed are changed to Monitor Status Off.

tampatracker

Okay, got it, thanks for the reply. One other question, when using the start up configurations I read in the manual that only one favorites list quick key can be used in each startup keep configuration. For example if I have start up configuration number one with favorites list quick key numbers 1-5 I would not be able to assign any quick Key favorites list numbers 1 through 5 in startup configuration number 2. I would have to start at 6 and so on in start up key configuration number 2. Is this correct? That would answer a lot of the questions and difficulties I have had using the Sentinel software. Thanks

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The hang-up might be in terminology. Quick Keys and Start-up Configuration Quick Keys are apples and pears.

A Favorites List may be assigned to one or more Startup Configuration Key(s). When you do the power-up/startup configuration key sequence, the scanner will go through your Favoritest Lists and tell it to monitor those Favorites List that are associated with the startup configuration key. That's done regardless of what quick key is assigned to a Favorites List (and the FL might not even have a quick key assigned).

In other words, a Favorites List quick key number is irrelevant to a startup configuration key.

Also, just for reference, a startup configuration key operation will not change the status Favorites List quick keys (if assigned). Those that were off before the startup key operation will continue to be off (and not scanned) and those that were on, will continue to be on.

Other than tinkering around with startup configuration keys to see how they work, they are something I do not use regularly. My memory is challenged enough with remembering Favorite List/Site/Department quick key numbers along with channel number tags. My thinking is that I can do through quick keys or GPS scanning what startup configuration keys will do.

Having said that, I'm sure there are those who find this feature helpful.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I use my Start Up Keys in the 436 much as I do with my 996XT. I have seven for the New England states (two for MA) and one each for NY and NJ. As I move from state to state I can restart the scanner with the new Start Up Key. I can also change which FL I'm listening to by going into the menu system and changing what I listen to. That may change as I get more used to the x36HP scanners, but for now it works well for me.

The new scanners give a lot of flexibility in programming and usage. They're a nice evolution of the XT scanners.

tampatracker

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've got it down now (till the next time I get stumped). Profiles can only be changed/adjusted in the Sentinel software.The next challenge I am having is pretty minor, but here it is. I need to remember to enable all the quick key for the new favorites lists, systems, department's, etc when I append them from the database. What has happened is after downloading a new system into an existing favorites list the new system won't show up in the scan cycle, and I will end up retracing my input processes, I will just read from scanner to see what I forgot to "turn on", fix it in Sentinel, then write it to scanner. No big deal, maybe this can help somebody out there who has experienced the same issues T.T..

Status
Not open for further replies.