BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
After owning my 436HP for several years now, I am now starting to understand how to use favorites.

I experimented, leaving the loads of two different SD cards into Sentinel.

I saved one profile for my home base, turning on download and monitor for my usual favorites, turning off the other load from another area. I labeled this profile relative to the city. When I loaded Sentinel into the scanner, the only ones showing were the ones I wanted, for my local area.

I was worried that having checks in multiple configurations would mess things up. The radio is working like I loaded it before. It took a while, but I think I finally snapped on this transition from GRE/Object to Uniden's memory.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Scrapped Method-Profiles

Everything was working until I put my scanner memory into Sentinel and viewed the configuration keys. There were multiple agencies on such despite my efforts to separate them. If I only load the profiles, and they are different, why does the configuration key not follow? If these profiles allowed for a unique set of configuration keys, then I could indeed make a great profile for different cities. It seems as though I would have to juggle around configuration keys in order to make this work. I hate this memory.

I wonder. Is it possible to completely ignore the configuration keys and then work the memory by turning on and off favorites?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I wonder. Is it possible to completely ignore the configuration keys and then work the memory by turning on and off favorites?

Yes. Configuration/Startup Keys are optional.

I toggle Favorites Quick Keys On or Off rather than using the extra layer of configuration keys. Less stuff for me to remember and contend with in programming.

Also, don't discount turning the Location Control setting to On for Favorites Lists. Then when you go into a different area, enter the zip code for that area and the applicable lists are turned on and the non-applicable lists go off.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Every time a new scanner comes out, I find that it takes me several weeks or more to figure out exactly how I want to program it.

It was really a difficult transition from the BCD796 to the 996T. The transition from the 996T to the 996XT was easier, although there was more flexibility with the XT. The jump from the XT to the x36HP scanners was pretty big although both use DMA memory.

It was even more difficult when I had a PSR800 to use for a couple of months. Although I had a Pro197 that was similar, it took a while to get the hang of EZ Scan.

All of these scanners have a lot of flexibility in how you program them, which is both a great feature and a challenge at first.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Also, don't discount turning the Location Control setting to On for Favorites Lists. Then when you go into a different area, enter the zip code for that area and the applicable lists are turned on and the non-applicable lists go off.

Or bettter yet, get the GPS puck and local things get enabled as you go automatically without having to constantly input zip codes.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, for all of the great responses. I will indeed attempt to completely get rid of the configuration keys since they seem to significantly complicate matters. I will work off of the profiles. I will see if this works for me because I travel enough to warrant a long favorite list.

Yes, I frequently use the GPS; however, avoid such in major cities, unless traveling through. When I go through a major city, I turn everything off but Federal and LE.

Today, I am going to start constructing another Favorite list to see how it works with all these suggestions.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that your profile only controls "global" settings such as display, backlight, dimmer, contrast, etc; and which Favorites Lists download to the scanner and are enabled. If you change an FL in one profile, it is changed across ALL profiles.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Or bettter yet, get the GPS puck and local things get enabled as you go automatically without having to constantly input zip codes.

That's a great option for when scanning in a vehicle. However once the scanner gets out of the vehicle, or the trip is too short to mess with a GPS, the benefit goes away.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Light On

Yes, I have successfully programmed this radio like I wanted to do when I first got it. The biggest cognitive hurdle to overcome was the configuration keys start up. I kept trying to get these to load right; however, when I would use multiple profiles and changed all of the configuration keys, I discovered that this resulted in stacked Favorites. It is rather insane to attempt to think of this as a banked radio. I was trying to force it do perform like my PSR 500 memory, with banks or scan lists.

For this radio, bank scanning appears obsolete when I compare it with my PSR 500 memory. I don't like that there are only 99 keys for Favorites. I think the number should match the number of available Favorite lists allowed in the radio.

Once I experimented more, I just said, to hell with it, let me try this. It worked!

I suppose if the Favorite does not have a Quick Key it will stay engaged in the scan. I doubt I will have 200 favorites.

I do have GPS, but it does not light the LED. I am going to buy another 436HP as well. I only use the Zip when I don't have GPS with me or don't want to bother hooking it up.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I suppose if the Favorite does not have a Quick Key it will stay engaged in the scan. I doubt I will have 200 favorites.

That is correct. The only way to "turn off" a Favorites List having no Favorites List Quick Key assigned, is to set Monitor to Off.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Another Question

That is correct. The only way to "turn off" a Favorites List having no Favorites List Quick Key assigned, is to set Monitor to Off.

Let's say, I have not assigned a programmed Favorite to a quick key. I believe it will load like all of the others. I understand that I cannot use any quick keys to toggle the unwanted Favorite off, but can I turn this Favorite off in the radio under "select lists to monitor?"

If so, that dog will hunt!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes - the scanner keypad steps are: Menu>Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor>
Scroll to the Favorites List and press enter to toggle On to Off (or Off to On). Then press System to resume scanning.

So that's the way you go about turning off/on a downloaded Favorites List that does not have a Favorites List Quick Key assigned.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Awesome Radio

On digital, this radio performs quite well for my needs. Linear Simulcast distortion seems to be a problem for all retail digital scanning radios. I cannot afford a G5 and I don't like that this pager won't scanner many systems.

For my area, the 436HP works very well on P25. Now that I have a mental picture of what I'm doing I am going to be very busy.

The configuration keys were throwing things off for me.

Thanks for the help. My new 435HP arrives today!

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Comparison With V-Folder

As I stated, I used to be a hardcore GRE man. However, I have since changed my colors. Now, I fly with Uniden! Whistler, I really hate to say this, you need to come to Texas and listen to "Asleep At The Wheel" because you certainly personify such. Enough of that mess.

If I am understanding this correctly, I can have 200 Favorites all in line going at the same time. I know this would likely stupid thing to do because it might slow things down a bit. I don't know if Whistler has opened up the use of many V-Folders at once, but I know I could only open one at a time on my PSR 500.

So, I have a new radio that is nearly two years old. Thanks, Uniden, you kick ***!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Range

Yes. Configuration/Startup Keys are optional.

I toggle Favorites Quick Keys On or Off rather than using the extra layer of configuration keys. Less stuff for me to remember and contend with in programming.

Ok, I know nothing about "Location Control." Here is my question, how does a radio system get turned on or off with this method? Since locations involve coordinates, I would assume this means GPS-control. I have one of those and take it on long trips. However, if I am correct in my assumption, I would hate to hook up all those wires to drive 30 miles to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.