prog freqs (vx7r content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

Wirelessly posted (Tmobile G1: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I picked up a vx7r, WOW this tiny thing does a lot of stuff... gesh

I have a few Qs?

When programing repeater freqs it almost seems unnatural to program the output, but that's all that's listed in the arrl directory. So the 7r does the input shift automatically? All I have to do is punch in the freq store it and I am good to go?

What do the small numbers in the notes section mean, are they PL codes? Do I have to program thoes as well or is it automatic? I saw nothing in the handbook about PL, only CTSS and DTS. Are those the same as PL?

i also noticed in the handbook, it made it sound like you CANNOT TX when it is plugged in and charging... thats sounds silly..

Last edited:

N0IU

Congratulations on getting a very nice radio! Looks like Santa made an early delivery!

When programing repeater freqs it almost seems unnatural to program the output, but that's all that's listed in the arrl directory. So the 7r does the input shift automatically? All I have to do is punch in the freq store it and I am good to go?
Well it makes sense to me because what you are listening for is the repeater output. According to the manual (on Page 27), "The VX-7R provides a convenient Automatic Repeater Shift feature, which causes the appropriate repeater shift to be automatically applied whenever you tune into the designated repeater sub-bands in your country."

What do the small numbers in the notes section mean, are they PL codes? Do I have to program thoes as well or is it automatic? I saw nothing in the handbook about PL, only CTSS and DTS. Are those the same as PL?
Yes, those numbers are CTCSS tones and are the same as PL tones. PL is a trademark of Motorola for "Private Line". You have to enter them manually. I don't know which year repeater directory you have, but look for the section entitled "Notes and Special Features" near the front of the book that will tell you what all those letters and numbers mean in the listings

i also noticed in the handbook, it made it sound like you CANNOT TX when it is plugged in and charging... thats sounds silly..
From what I read in the manual (on Page 10), the NC72-B/C is meant only to be used only to charge the batteries and does not have sufficient current to support transmitting.

I know I may come off sounding like a bit of a jerk and I will apologize in advance for that, but there is an old saying that goes, "When all else fails, RTFM!"

RTFM = Read The Frickin' Manual!

EDIT: I will admit that those Japanese manuals translated into English can be very difficult to understand!

Good luck!

Last edited:

fineshot1

This is not silly. Its quite normal. If you want to spend about 2 or 3 hundred bucks on a
charger capable of handing the current requirements for charging a battery and a ht in
the transmit mode on hi power (5 watts) then make the suggestion to Yaesu but most
people do not want to spend that much $ on a charger. They already cost more than
most hams want to spend.

mparker

This is not silly. Its quite normal. If you want to spend about 2 or 3 hundred bucks on a
charger capable of handing the current requirements for charging a battery and a ht in
the transmit mode on hi power (5 watts) then make the suggestion to Yaesu but most
people do not want to spend that much $ on a charger. They already cost more than
most hams want to spend.

you make a good point, thats why i went with the HT over a mobile, i didnt want to have to mess with a power supply... if i recall, when i unplugged my 7r while i was scanning, it "rebooted" itself... that isnt very convenient either...

i found the handbook to be quiet easy to follow... maybe a little jumbled, (ex: it was hard to find the information on how to clear a stored memory, but the info to program a memory was easy to find) and that PL/CTSS/DTS misunderstanding... i kept looking cover to cover for PL and found nothing... but now that i know they are the same as CTSS/DTS i can easily program accordingly...

Status
Not open for further replies.