Program a button for a talkgroup? Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
There may be a couple of ways to do this and if there is I'd be interested in learning all of them.

Here is what I want to do or would like to do.

I would like to be able to push a button on the scanner and have it go directly to a specific talkgroup and hold there.

Say the scanner was scanning and I wanted to go to this talkgroup and hold; I would like to be able to just press this button and it would do this.

Mainly what this is for is when I get a call, all of our communications are then switched over to this talkgroup from VHF and I miss some additional information until I get to the station.

There might be another way by having the scanner always come on in a non-scanning mode always on that talkgroup (I'm not exactly sure how to do that, I may know how, but not exactly sure). Then I would just have to hit scan if I didn't need it to stay on that talkgroup. But this doesn't fix the problem if the scanner is already scanning unless I turn it off and back on, which is hard to do because the unit is located in the trunk and all I have is the remote head up front and it won't turn the scanner off.

Suggestions??? Ideas???? I'm sure there is a way; it's a programmable scanner, surely there is a way!!! LOL

JoeyC

I'm not sure of the differences in the "T" and the "XT" but with an XT you can create a system with only that talkgroup programmed (or unlocked) and then assign it its own unique QuickKey. I cant say for sure that it will sit on that one talkgroup though. I do something similar, but it has 2 talkgroups in it and works fine.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
I also have an XT that I could swap out...actually I was thinking about doing this so I could see the UIDs in the car. Would the number tag work and how so?

medic29

Premium Subscriber
In looking at the directions for use with a number tag; it doesn't appear to be any easier than just using the talkgroup. With the number tag, if I were scanning I would have to press "hold" then enter the number of the system, then press "." then press the number assigned to the talkgroup, then press the menu button. Whereas to go directly to the talkgroup while scanning I believe you just press the hold button, then the talkgroup id, which for my scenario is about 7 numbers, then enter.

I was trying to cut all of that down to just hitting one or two buttons. Maybe the only way to accomplish this is as one person said, to put it into a system by itself and lockout the other systems when I need to.

I would think if I can set up a button to perform a custom search or whatever; there would be a way made that I could create a short cut to a particular channel/talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.