Program EDACS into PRO-164

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPike

Premium Subscriber
Hello
I have a PRO-164 and a premium RR account so I can download the info I am looking for.
I am going to be in Florida and I would like to program the Volusia County Public Safety EDACS system into my scanner. I know how to download it into Win97 but the system has 3 sites, 35 channels, and 315 TG’s. My scanner can only hold 120 TG per bank so I know I will have to put it in multiple banks but I am not sure what is the best way to set it up so I can receive all 3 sites and all 315 TG’s? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
DPike

mciupa

Nice problem, too much to listen to! :wink:
Give Daytona it's own bank and talkgroups.

Break the rest of Volusia in to two groups, a bank for each site.
One bank with talkgroup lists of Emergency Services. The other for other county services and patch talkgroups.

DickH

Hello
I have a PRO-164 and a premium RR account so I can download the info I am looking for.
I am going to be in Florida and I would like to program the Volusia County Public Safety EDACS system into my scanner. I know how to download it into Win97 but the system has 3 sites, 35 channels, and 315 TG’s. My scanner can only hold 120 TG per bank so I know I will have to put it in multiple banks but I am not sure what is the best way to set it up so I can receive all 3 sites and all 315 TG’s? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
DPike

With an EDACS system, you have no choice. You MUST use 3 separate banks because the first freq. in each site MUST be in channel 1.
315 Talk Groups? That's fine, if you want to listen to teletype signals, hospitals, the dog catcher, the water department, sewer department, etc. Just choose the ones of interest to you. It's set up nicely for you in this system because Daytona TGs are all in the Daytona site.

SCPD

QRT
Hello
Thanks
DPike

315 talkgroups? That's overkill and I'd bet you'd never be able to follow a conversation thread with that many talkgroups.

One of the nice things about trunk scanning, is that you can set up multiple banks with the same frequencies, just using different talk groups. For example, in bank 1 i have the local police programmed in, and bank 2 has the local fire department. Each bank has around 30 talkgroups. If something interesting is happening on the PD bank, I can turn off the FD bank and monitor.

But really, expecting to scan 315 talkgroups is a bit much, and most certainly you will be missing conversation and information that paints the whole big picture. As someone else mentioned you are going to hear lots of odd sounds with that many talkgroups as most certainly not all are used for voice communication, but likely some data too, which will just annoy you with buzzes, chirps, squeeks and other unpleasant noises.

Good luck and happy scanning!

wcr20

i recently moved to volusia - i put system 1 in one bank with the emergency services TGs - system 2 in another bank - no TGs entered. Daytona in a 3rd.

i generally only use the 1st group - i turn on group 2 if i want to hear more.

my understanding is that 1 & 2 are essentially a simulcast.

DPike

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all that replied, your right 315 TG's are a bit much. I did not go through the TG's the first time and after your great advice I went through each group and did not download the ones I did not want to listen to.
Another question though I am not sure I understand the different sites. If I have some TG's under site 001 and other TG's under site 002 will I be able to hear all of them? Or should I use site 001 in two banks with all the TG’s outside of Daytona that I might want to listen to between those two banks?

Status
Not open for further replies.