Programing a 386XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonCinMN

First question: Is there a sure fire cable that works with Windows 7 and XP?

I can't get either one to connect with my scanner. I was able to program it with my old laptop, but that is dead now (XP) but not my W7 machine or my XP desktop. Getting a little frustrated.

I've read through the Wiki stuff but it seems like I have the wrong driver. I bought the serial to USB cable from monoprice, which uses the Prolific drivers I think and I've tried others.

Do I need the $30 one from Uniden for it to work?

Thanks.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The little connector on the 396XT is a serial connector (not USB). The primary reason for this is to allow GPS connection. The 396XT comes with a serial data cable (with a standard RS232 plug). If you have a desktop computer then it probably has a serial port. If you do, then you can use it right out of the box without having to buy anything else, but If you use a laptop or "all-in-one" PC then chances are you have only USB ports. If this is the case then you will have to purchase the Uniden USB-1 cable, or use a USB-Serial adapter with the factory serial cable.

Quoted from http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/221579-new-396xt-user.html

RadioDaze

I'm looking for an answer too, since it forces me to use an old laptop instead of my newer one.

Does anybody out there use a specific serial to USB adapter (and driver) that actually works?

N8IAA

I'm looking for an answer too, since it forces me to use an old laptop instead of my newer one.

Does anybody out there use a specific serial to USB adapter (and driver) that actually works?

Take a ride to HRO Anaheim and get the Uniden cable.
Larry

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

This one work's very well for me.

04Z1V6

I just walked into radio shack and asked for a RS232 to USB and walked out with a Gigaware 26-949 this works very good and is very fast from the computer to scanner. I use this on multiple windows systems.

RadioDaze

This one work's very well for me.

Thanks, that's the price range I was hoping for.

I just walked into radio shack and asked for a RS232 to USB and walked out with a Gigaware 26-949 this works very good and is very fast from the computer to scanner. I use this on multiple windows systems.

Thanks, but looks pricier than the Uniden USB.

ArgoGirb67

I bought a "no cable" adapter from Tiger direct,sorry not sure on what brand(may be Startech).Plugged it my win 7 laptop(without the 232 cable attached an pc found driver.Have no issues.It was about $16 Edit:plugged it in Man.FTDI driver version 2.8.2.0

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You have 386XT listed, but if that's a typo, I have felt your pain. It was resolved with the purchase of the following cable from scannermaster. Be sure you download the drivers, carefully following instructions. It worked fine for me.

Uniden USB Cable

SCPD

QRT
That cable worked fine for me also. I have Vista on my puter and the download was no problem.

Mark

JonCinMN

I'm the OP. I have found an older driver that worked with my Win7 computer once, then wouldn't work after that. It is listed on the download page from FreeScan. Here is a quote:

" Drivers

These drivers seem to agree with FreeSCAN, Ice Comm, Prolific USB-Serial adaptors as well as Windows Vista & Windows 7. These are recommended if you are having problems with errors, either downloading or uploading. They will work with the Uniden USB-1 cable as well.

vista-prolific-chip-driver-for-serial-adapters.zip (1.8MB)

Windows XP Prolific DriversThese are handy drivers to have if you are using XP or 2000 and the Prolific drivers are producing a “Code 10” error. This frequently happens with cheap $2 USB-Serial adapters. The latest Prolific drivers seem to not get along with them, however, these older “GPS” drivers will work just fine.

Prolific_GPS_1013_2009_03_19.zip "

Thanks to cpuerror for that info.

In case anyone is having trouble, this is my opinion...I've had too much trouble and time wasted on the cheap cable, if I had to do it all over again I'd recommend buying the USB to Scanner from Uniden or ScannerMaster the first time. I plugged it in and it worked the way it should right away.

"Uniden" USB Cable For All Uniden DMA Scanners at Uniden

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.