Programing a bcd396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

stere949

Premium Subscriber
I just got my first digital scanner, I read the vague manual and it says to input the system so I put p25, that's as far as I got. I don't understand how to input more info.I live in Cincinnati, OH and the city police use a p25 system. I just need a description on how to input the info from a pro so I can get this thing up and running. I'm still exploring the site, so I may find the info out, but I could use the directions in writting

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
These Uniden scanners are extremely difficult to program from the keyboard. I've tried and failed, and I programmed computers for a living when I used to work.

But you can get a programming cable cheaply and the program "freescan" for, uh, free. Then a fifteen dollar subscription to this site will allow you to download already prepared information into your scanner for six months. (I may be slightly out on the dollars, I haven't checked recently).

I found "freescan" quite easy to learn and you get to have a backup kept on your computer and maybe a thumb drive or two in case the scanner has problems and you lose the programming.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This article from our wiki (links are always blue) has links to just about everything you need to get started, including the link to the Easier to Read manual that's already been given...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You might profit from going to our Ohio forum and asking for a Freescan file for your area. Be sure that you specify what scanner you are using. Mike

teufler

Cincy Hamilton File

HERE IS A CINCINNATI HAMILTON CTY, COVINGTON KY FILE. Its Freescan, and its zipped per RR requirements. If you have already got Freescan loaded and your comport isset, make sure your existing file is uploaded and saved, just in case youi want to revert to that file,.File is rebanded where necessary.

Attachments

• Cincy.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 73

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just keep in mind that you should never use Windows Explorer to unzip a zipped file - it can and sometimes does corrupt it. Use a good unzipper such as WinZip or the freeware 7-Zip instead....Mike

stere949

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the replies, I do need to download the freescan software and I will take your advise on using winrare software. I was able to get my city police programed in manually. Now I do have another problem, I'm in Cincinnati, ohio so theirs a lot of freq. when it scans and the dispatcher pops in or anyone, the audio breakes up. I read simulcast freq. are notorious for this, is their anyway I caN FIX it? Another thing, is the free scan file you sent just the software or the freq as well? I don't want to have to pay for the subscription after spending an arm and leg on this scanner.

stere949

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I got the file, I just tried to get freescan so you have to type in your windows user name and password to get authorization to the site. I can't remember the login info, actually I don't have a password, is this the one when you first boot the computer and it says user login

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
No, RadioReference does not own Freescan or any other scanner programming software.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just tried to get freescan so you have to type in your windows user name and password to get authorization to the site. I can't remember the login info, actually I don't have a password, is this the one when you first boot the computer and it says user login

You don't need authorization (passwords or anything else) of any kind to get to the Freescan site, or download and use the Freescan software..

A Premium Subscription at Radio Reference is only needed if you intend to use the direct database programming feature from Radio Reference

That is described here:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/content/?cid=3

Last edited:

stere949

Premium Subscriber
Ok did a little more tinkering and I got the free scan software. I was typing in freescan.com and that where I was getting the prompt to enter the password. I just searched it and found the software at sixspot software. If anyone else is searching just type in freescan in the browser and search it, sixspot is usually the first one. I just want to thank everyone for the info they've given, really helpful. I have read some of the easy manual and found it was helpful, I did download the winrare and got it installed without a hitch. The one outstanding question is the distortion, I seen the video where the twister guy made a directional antenna, Is that the only solution?

teufler

the file I sent is a complerte file, just use Freescan to load the file, then download to your scanner, BUT FIRST UPLOAD YOUR OWN SCANNER SO if you want to revert to that file, you can reset your scanner.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
These Uniden scanners are extremely difficult to program from the keyboard.

For some. I find great satisfactioni n programming a scanner by hand. It just takes a certain je ne sais quoi- patience?

As has been provided :

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Is all you need. On a piece of paper map out the system. Then, plug in the frequencies, then plug in the talk groups. Set your quick key. Maybe set some alerts.

Badabing, badaboom.

Hope you enjoy your new scanner.

stere949

Premium Subscriber
I'm really not enjoying it, I've got the distortion issue, I just read about it on radio reference. It seems if I just use 1 repeater, I should be OK, I'm going to try that next. Now I have another problem, I hit the function key and can choose between systems. So I choose Cincinnati PD it scans that for a moment then It goes to the ham band and starts scanning that. I just got the premium subscription to radio reference so, think I'm going to delete all my systems and start over, and use 1 repeater and hopefully get this distortion thing out of it and maybe the program error, with the ham radio.

teufler

with your system keys, thats the SO above the GRP keys, on the scanner screen, turn off the systems you don't want to listen too like the ham stuff.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Now I do have another problem, I'm in Cincinnati, ohio so theirs a lot of freq. when it scans and the dispatcher pops in or anyone, the audio breakes up. I read simulcast freq. are notorious for this, is their anyway I caN FIX it?

Cincinnati is indeed a simulcast system. While your scanner will receive a good strong signal (evidenced by several signal strength bars), decoding the signal can be challenging. Simulcast issues manifest themselves either in garbled audio or no audio at all, even though you know there is a transmission going on.

Briefly repeating what's been mentioned numerous times elsewhere, you are receiving multiple towers and the scanner is having decode problems. Just like two people talking to you at one time, you may have difficulty understanding what is said.

Things that could be done to get some improvement:

1. Set site attenuator to ON.
2. Fine tune P25 Adjust Level and P25 Adjust Mode settings.

P25 Adjust settings are trial and error. No one combination of settings works the same everywhere and can be dependent upon where you are. You just have to fiddle with the numbers that gives you the best results you can get.

For my local system, I use 13 and 175. Another guy with a scanner gets better reception at 11 and 180.

stere949

Premium Subscriber
Ok I'll try that but what about using just the one tower? It makes sense to me if your talking to one person or one tower, then you should hear it fine.

stere949

Premium Subscriber
The one tower wonder

Ok, so I just reprogramed it using the Cincinnati tower all the freq. were still their, hum something fishy about that, I don't know if it just low traffic this morning but when something pops in it's not distorted as bad I actually head a full transmission. Ok I can see the antenna has a lot to do with it as well. I have the scanner pined to the curtin rod and getting better reception. That would be my next question, whats the best antenna to get. The local R&L electronics store, radio shack then of course ebay is where I'll be going, So the best mobile and best base antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.