programing cablr for RS Pro164

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskie999

I knew this would happen. I bought a cable at RS ,to use for Pro 164, to download frequecies. It just does not make sense. I put the cd in and new hardware message comes up. Instructions say when wizard asks for drivers. Well I never even get there, I see no folder about drivers, in fact the cd doesn't seem to respond. Boy maybe I am just too old for this stuff.I rally don't know why it won't let windows find a driver. Help if you can Th

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
I knew this would happen. I bought a cable at RS ,to use for Pro 164, to download frequecies. It just does not make sense. I put the cd in and new hardware message comes up. Instructions say when wizard asks for drivers. Well I never even get there, I see no folder about drivers, in fact the cd doesn't seem to respond. Boy maybe I am just too old for this stuff.I rally don't know why it won't let windows find a driver. Help if you can Th
Yea, I just bought a cable too, had the exact same problem. No DRIVERS folder on CD.
There is a better explanation on the radio shack website.
USB Scanner Programming Cable - RadioShack.com
Page down to "Product Support" and select "USB Scanner Programming Cable (User's Guide)". (There is no users guide on the CD and the flier that accompanies the package is written to another product.)

Now, that being said, I still can't communicate with the scanner, even through the cable is properly installed. Does anyone know if the scanner is supposted to be put into a special mode for communicating? When I plug in the cable nothing happens (continues to scan).

There's nothing in the manual about communicating woth a PC except "You can also upload or download programmed data to or from a PC using a USB cable available through your local RadioShack store."

THAT'S IT.
That's the sum total of all they have to say about how to communicate with a PC.
I'm getting frustrated,

dxradio2003

USB drivers

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 and this is what I did: I went to the GRE web-site and downloaded the latest drivers for their USB cable (which is the same as the RS version). I installed the driver software, then plugged in the cable and it finished the install without a problem. Worked fine for me.

---dxradio

N8IAA

I tried loading the driver 1st, then the cable first, I am operating windows XP

The one thing no one asked: are you using the USB programming cable, part # 20-047? If not, the serial cable will not work on the 164. Just wondering.
Larry

muskie999

Yes I made sure it was the 20-047. Just new to this and greatful for the help. I was using a pro 79, which was a little bit easier to understand. but I wanted to take a small step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.