Programing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gob420

This is my first post. I have a Bearcat bc346xtc. I'm trying to program it to receive california / alameda county sheriffs frequency. According to the website it is a project 25 phase 1 system. What type of system does this translate into when I try to program it into my scanner? Motorola? Edcs? I have also browsed through the "easier to read manual" but I'm still running into trouble. Also I have found 2 different talk groups that seem to be for the same agency here and on radiobern so I'm not sure which is correct. I'm guessing the one here on RR is the correct one.

One other thing I can't figure out is some of the control frequencies are in the 700 mhz range but when I try to add these it says out of range. Is there a firmware update that will allow my unit to get this range or does this model just not get it?

And help is appreciated. Thanks.

Gob420

Thanks for the info and link, I see it now. I'm looking at the BCD396XT. From what I have read this will get the channels I am looking for. Can anyone confirm this? Frys has one in stock I'll run and go get.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info and link, I see it now. I'm looking at the BCD396XT. From what I have read this will get the channels I am looking for. Can anyone confirm this? Frys has one in stock I'll run and go get.

Yes, the BCD396XT will work with P25 Phase I systems. It's a good little radio. You might also consider the BCD436HP. It's a little more money, but many have reported better decode on P25 systems with the 436 vs. older models such as the 396. It's a bit larger unit, but it can record transmissions, and even do 'instant replay' if you missed something. It also carries the entire RR database on board, stored on a micro SD card. You can update this for free each week using the Sentinel software which is also free. You can enter your Zip Code into the scanner and it will scan frequencies and systems from the RR database for your area. You can also program it exactly to your liking and not use the Zip Code feature, which is what I recommend. Unlike the BCD396XT, it's also capable of decoding P25 Phase II, which may possibly be used in a neighboring county, or may be used somewhere you intend to travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.