• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

maceffects

Okay, let me start by saying I am a complete newbie at radios, my mail experiences is with computers not radios. I have and gets lots of Motorola Radios (Astro, Spectra, GM300, MaraTrac, MaxTrac, A9, A5, etcs). And I need to program them to certain frequencies, tones, etc. But I don't know what all is needed. I seen RIB/RSS things but no have the right connectors, and none have software (I'd Assume it hooks to a PC??). I really could use some help :)

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
maceffects said:
Okay, let me start by saying I am a complete newbie at radios, my mail experiences is with computers not radios. I have and gets lots of Motorola Radios (Astro, Spectra, GM300, MaraTrac, MaxTrac, A9, A5, etcs). And I need to program them to certain frequencies, tones, etc. But I don't know what all is needed. I seen RIB/RSS things but no have the right connectors, and none have software (I'd Assume it hooks to a PC??). I really could use some help :)
1. If you wish to program a trunking radio, you have to be authorized to do so by the system manager for each particular system, and must have been issued the unique system key for each one you wish to program. Unless you're an authorized Motorola shop (I'm guessing not) your chances of getting such authorization range from zero to none so I would not hold my breath waiting. For conventional systems, you must obtain authorization from the licensee of that system. If it's for legitimate operational or mutual aid purposes, they would likely give authorization; it all depends on the department in question.

2. The RIB (Radio Interface Box) is available in various places including eBay; it's really just a level converter, but for many Moto radios there's more to it than that.

3. RSS (Radio Service Software) is unique for each radio or series of radios, and you have to purchase a licensed copy from Motorola of the RSS program for each radio/series of radios you need to program. Motorola is very tight with their software; they'll sell it to you, but only after you have signed the software agreement. Be prepared to spend quite a bit of money (generally, multiple hundreds of dollars) for each program. Once you've signed the agreement and finalized the sale, you own that software, period. You cannot sell or otherwise transfer it to another person, even if you sell the radio it is for.

4. Each radio/series of radios requires a unique programming cable to go from the RIB to the radio. These mostly tend to use the microphone connector but some radios use other connectors. You can buy these from Mother M or build them yourself.

If you're really serious about programming your own radios and are authorized to do so, check www.batlabs.com for a good programming primer and information on building your own cables.

Tom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.