Programing Motorola 9600 SMARTZONE radio XTS3000 P25 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandalorian14

Hello there are a few Frequencies I would like to put in my radio for a scanner, I want to put Summit County Springfield/Lakemore Police, Canton City Police Dispatch, and Akron dispatch, how would I do it it seamed confusing about all the Freqs.

wdz

Feed Provider
You should not be programming a radio for a trunking system unless you are authorized to be on the system in which case talk to the systems admin and I'm sure they'd be happy to program it for you. You can get yourself in a lot of hot water and if you're lucky have your radio bricked.

mszabo2000

Hello there are a few Frequencies I would like to put in my radio for a scanner, I want to put Summit County Springfield/Lakemore Police, Canton City Police Dispatch, and Akron dispatch, how would I do it it seamed confusing about all the Freqs.

I agree with wdz's reply, use a scanner instead. All of the departments listed either use encryption today or will use encryption by the end of the year. Regardless if you use a radio or a scanner, you won't be able to listen to their traffic.

radio system

i know of someone who did that to monitor canton and got into a TON of trouble he may do jail time for what he did

Septa3371CSX1

A few things here from someone who has an XTS3000 and monitors a 9600 baud TRS with it non-affiliate.

1) Make sure the radio can do 9600 baud trunking. Not all XTS3000's are flashed for it so you'll need to check the flash code.

2) Get someone who is familiar with using CPS software to do the programming for you. This way you'll greatly reduce the risk of your radio being "bricked."

3) Have it programmed for non-affiliate scan. My 800 MHz 3000 is fully TX-inhibited thus I only get a rejection bonk when I press the PTT.

4) If you are an authorized user for the system you wish to program it for then go through the proper channels to get it taken care of.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber

First, read this:

https://forums.radioreference.com/m...ou-want-monitor-trunked-system-moto-read.html

Second, and no offense, if you are confused about the frequencies you are about to be way in over your head. Your only bet is having a buddy who happens to be an expert at programming these, program it for you and do it absolutely correct. If he messes it up to where it affiliates on the system, you open yourself up to a whole host of legal troubles. A Motorola dealer won't do this programming for you, since you aren't an authorized system user.

Basically, just get a scanner. They work just fine.

allend

Premium Subscriber
A few things here from someone who has an XTS3000 and monitors a 9600 baud TRS with it non-affiliate.

1) Make sure the radio can do 9600 baud trunking. Not all XTS3000's are flashed for it so you'll need to check the flash code.

2) Get someone who is familiar with using CPS software to do the programming for you. This way you'll greatly reduce the risk of your radio being "bricked."

3) Have it programmed for non-affiliate scan. My 800 MHz 3000 is fully TX-inhibited thus I only get a rejection bonk when I press the PTT.

4) If you are an authorized user for the system you wish to program it for then go through the proper channels to get it taken care of.

I would honestly stay away from the XTS3000 radios. They are just way too old and don't have the processor speed for no affiliate trunking. I would go with an XTS5000 and above. Remember you only have 200 scan lists that get eaten up real fast when programming no-affiliate trunking.

Even the APX radios only have 200 scan lists too. I would never say don't program one of these radios because I have had both scanners and commerical grade radios in the past and both are great. The commerical grade is only single band which is difficult to listen to a variety of other stuff through out the different bands like a scanner can operate.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Processor speed has nothing to do with noaffiliate monitoring...

Every statement made on that post is wrong.
Commercial grade radios are available in multiband and no affiliate scanning does not have to use up a pile of scanlists.
The method which is floating around is one of many ways of setting your radio up. The author chose to slave one scanlist containing one channel to each channel which is way overkill.

Last edited:

gtaman

One thing is the XTS3000 cant do 700Mhz if I recall. To solve this issue either buy yourself a scanner or a RELM KNG (it will cost you an arm and a leg) but they will do the job no problem. The RELM will save you with multicast issues though. But a scanner is way cheaper and can scan more than a radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.