Programing rs 106

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

Which is best way to program a scanner, manually program it OR is software to program it ?

reconrider8

Depends on the user! I can do it both ways I use win500 when I do computer program only because I can have hundreds of different files on thousands of different setups but if I'm in the field w/o a laptop you need to know how to field program it out away from the computer also

R

retiredmich

Thanks for the info, my next question is this, If I use soft ware to program my scanner, does the soft ware set any settings diff than if I manually program the scanner & set the settings the way I want ?
I think I am saying this right.

w2xq

Mentor
A software program writes over -all- settings and objects in the scanner. You can't upload a partial change to settings or objects. Change the scanner settings as you like, then download the scanner datafile and save it as a template file. (Backup the "empty" template file.) As you make up new files for the areas or services you are interested in, first open the template and save it with a new appropriate file name. Problem solved.

I include dates in the file name to retain backups and recover from mistakes. For example: nj_burlco_201410200042 (state_location_yyyymmddhhmm) which then appears in sorted order in the PC's datafile directory.

One more thing. Let's say you manually make changes to the scanner while in the field. To capture the changes for future data files, first download the scanner to the PC. Make changes to the template file if necessary and copy or insert new/changed objects to the next datafile to be uploaded.

Did I say back up the files? :)

HTH.

n5ims

Using software is generally the easiest and best way to program the 106. As was indicated above, if you use software, the changes are "destructive", not "additive". Don't let this worry you it simply means that the software is made using the idea of "This is how I want my programming to look when I'm done." not the idea of "Keep what's already programmed and add this to it." If you think about it, this makes sense since you may want to delete some old or incorrect programming, which wouldn't work if the software simply added the changes every time.

The best way to accomplish it (how I do it anyway) is:

1. Read the current scanner's programming. This will likely be the function "Download From Scanner".
2. Save it to a file (I name the file so I can track the changes easily using a name like MyPro106-YYYYMMDDHHMMSS or using today's date, MyPro106-20140919015030 - note: use "military time" where 1:30 AM would be 0130 and 1:30 PM would be 1330).
3. Make any desired changes to the programming (with a RR Premium membership you can download the entries and eliminate doing them by hand and the associated fat-finger errors).
4. Save the new changes to a file (using the same naming convention as above is still OK since the seconds will be changed).
5. Write your changes from the software to the scanner. This will most likely be the function "Upload to Scanner".
6. Test to verify that your changes work as expected.

What this method does is pretty important. First (and foremost) it keeps a copy of your programming from every stage so if something happens (say you somehow lose your programming or make an error that causes things to no longer work properly), you can always revert to your earlier programming. Second, it allows you to make drastic changes temporary (say you're spending a few weeks with family across the country so you replace your normal programming with what will work there and can reload your normal programming once you return home). Third, you can safely try new changes without fear of really messing things up.

One additional comment is that it's a good idea to make one (or more) copies of these files so if your disk crashes, you can easily recover them. I have a CD that's kept along with my other important documents in the safe deposit box and on this CD is a copy of the folder with the software, a text file with the registration information (you'll need this when your disk crashes), and the data files. I also have a copy on a USB Key that's kept with my laptop so it's available when traveling as well.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Software makes the job much easier, plus you can keep a copy for quick reload.

Making minor changes by hand is not bad, but I tend to do that through the software, too.

Sent via Tapatalk

R

retiredmich

Thank you all very much for you input, I APPRECIATE it very much. I was curious about what the diff was. Thanks again, Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.