Programing SAME on the PRO-197 into a scan list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digenes

I understand that you can select weather, then after selecting the correct SAME numbers for your state county etc you can then select the weather button the press func and weather to put it into SAME mode to only go off during a warning. My question is, I know you can program the local tower freq that covers your area into the scan list, but is there a way while it is in the list to have SAME set, so that every time the scanner hits the weather freq it doesn't lock onto it and not continuing scanning?

Thanks in advance

n5ims

There are 3 weather modes on the Pro-197:

* "Weather Radio" (press WX and it'll tune to the weather frequency for your area, press WX again to skip to the next weather frequency with a usable signal)

* "Weather Priority" (press WX followed by PRI to have your scanner check the weather frequency every few seconds to see if the alert tone is sounding and unmute the audio and remain on that channel if the alert tone is sounding)

* "SAME Standby" (basically turns your $500 scanner into a $50 weather radio where you can't scan, but it will alert you when an alert matching what SAME code(s) you have programmed are sent out)

Your choice appears to be either to scan your other frequencies, but check the weather frequencies for a weather alert (any one, not a specific one that matches the SAME code you may have set) and stop scanning and tune the weather channel so you can hear the weather alert OR to have the scanner monitor the weather frequency for your desired SAME code alerts and unmute the audio once one has sounded (but you can't scan anything else while it searches for a matching SAME code).

I believe that it works this way since the scanner must catch the alerts quickly to properly decode the SAME codes. If it's busy scanning your local PD frequencies and only checking the weather frequency every so often it may miss all or part of the SAME code transmission so it wouldn't be able to unmute the audio for that alert.

damjerm

Pro 197 Wx info

I use my 197 to scan my lists AND it will alert me during a storm based on location and same codes used.

So it is a $50 weather and a $500 scanner combined.. they work together not separately..

lynxrufus

Press the WX key to enter the weather radio mode.
Press the PRI key to set weather priority. (a "-P" will appear on the 3rd line)
Press the SCAN key.

Status
Not open for further replies.