programing uniden bct15x

LT1

Premium Subscriber
Hi folks,
I am lost trying to reprogram my 2 scanners, both bct15x. I do have a new computer since my original programming in 2013. Since then I have lost part of my computer skills...Of all things I have lost, I miss my mind the most (haha). I have 2 older cables, one front serial to usb-a, and one serial rs 232 to front of scanner serial port (i am guessing front is a serial port?) I am trying freescan to link with win 10 system....I also bought a cable that is rs 232 to usb a, but after hours of trying different settings, scanner and computer don't link up through freescan which is version 2.18 -beta-6. I did enjoy listening to trunked PD in my town of Dennis, MA, as I know many of the PD (In a very good way :) If someone can point me in the right direction, this old guy would really appreciate the help.
Thank you for reading, Larry T.

avaloncourt

The serial cable is the proper cable, Mine is connected to the front port. Did you install the FTDI drivers?

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
Freescan is a kind of general purpose programming solution. I tried it for a while but gave up on it. I bought Proscan when I had the BCT15X and was much happier! Yes it does cost a bit but I find it is worth it. A lot of nice features and although there is still a learning curve to programming non conventional stuff it is still much easier especially with a subscription to this site.
As they say, you get what you pay for.

You do want to be sure the cable has the FTDI chipset. It has been my experience that Win10 will automatically install the FTDI drivers when the cable is connected. I use FTDI cables with different ham radio handhelds and they are never a problem. With some software, selecting the correct comm port can be a chore.

Last edited: