Programing work around? No Windows PC

dkcorlfla

Hi all, I'm interested in buying a new scanner but do not run Windows.

My interest are air band, vhf/uhf ham, GMRS, and maybe analog trunking.

So far every scanner I have looked at requires Windows for the programing software.

Anybody know of a work around using a SDcard or maybe a scanner that uses a USB cable instead of an old serial cable that might be usable under Linux.

Thanks, Dale

nd5y

Many USB cables are actually USB to serial converters. Those should work on Linux without messing with Windows drivers.

You should be able to install and run Windows programming software on Linux with WINE but you won't get any support from the radio manufacturers or software authors. If the software is free you can at least install it that way and see if it runs. I would not $buy$ Windows software unless I knew it would run under WINE.

nstavr

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, I'm interested in buying a new scanner but do not run Windows.

My interest are air band, vhf/uhf ham, GMRS, and maybe analog trunking.

So far every scanner I have looked at requires Windows for the programing software.

Anybody know of a work around using a SDcard or maybe a scanner that uses a USB cable instead of an old serial cable that might be usable under Linux.

Thanks, Dale
If you have access to a Windows license you can install VirtualBox for Linux and create a Windows VM to use. I use similar solution for MacOS.

tvengr

Well Known Member
You will need to be able to use software to update the firmware and database in a scanner. A Windows emulator will be necessary. If you have a scanner using a SD card, you can mail the SD card to someone who can program your scanner.

dkcorlfla

I do have some options that I'm trying to sort out. 1 might be to use the HD that has Win 10 on it and see if there is enough room to install it in this computer. I do need to take the case off for a good dusting and will take a look then.

2 might be to try and install XP on a Gnome Boxes VM

3 Would be to install some version of Windows on a un-used partition on a second computer I have.

In any case I don't want to use the Windows computer online (the only thing I want to send to Microsoft is my fully extended middle finger) ;-)

So I guess the next question would be do any of the scanners come with a full install software that can be done offline?

I would really like to get this sorted out as I also have some ham radios that could benefit from some Windows only software.

Thanks, Dale

dkcorlfla

Buy a good used basic windows laptop with enough to run the software for programming.
You don't need much and can get for low reasonable cost.
I think in my case because I already have a HD with Windows 10 on it I should see if I can re-install it back in the computer it came from. The Linux boot loader can be configured to boot different OS from different drives so that should not be a problem. Just don't know if the compact computer has room for two HDs and I would not want to pull the one running Linux in it now. Looks like it's about time to power down and take the case off for a good look and dusting.

n0cb

Premium Subscriber
The Icom IC-R30, while not a trunked radio receiver is a scanner. Can be programmed with a CSV file transferred to the radio via USB or by moving the SD card to your computer. I have used the USB method from macOS, Linux and Windows. I still see IC-R30s pop up on eBay.

dkcorlfla

Thanks for the replies and info. I have had a big set back, after taking the cover off my main computer and blowing out all the dust it will not POST anymore. It's conceivable I had a static discharge trying to blow all the dust out that killed the MB. I may try to trouble shoot it some more but the fans come on low for 30 seconds or so then speed up to high speed making me think something is getting very hot quickly.

Looks like I will need to either build a replacement or buy one. I would like to upgrade to a SSD so one with Windows pre-installed might make sense. I could make it a dual boot with Linux as my daily driver and Windows for my radios.

Time to go shopping, Dale

Scan125

If you have access to a Windows license you can install VirtualBox for Linux and create a Windows VM to use. I use similar solution for MacOS.
For Windows 10 you don't (well didn't) need a licencse. After install and trial period some personalisation functions become unavailable and in the lowe right corner of the screen is a banner / text. Apart from that then everything else works OK. Well this is what I researched back in Win7 / W10 upgrade era. Certainly worth trying now.

Dog

Thanks for the replies and info. I have had a big set back, after taking the cover off my main computer and blowing out all the dust it will not POST anymore. It's conceivable I had a static discharge trying to blow all the dust out that killed the MB. I may try to trouble shoot it some more but the fans come on low for 30 seconds or so then speed up to high speed making me think something is getting very hot quickly.

Looks like I will need to either build a replacement or buy one. I would like to upgrade to a SSD so one with Windows pre-installed might make sense. I could make it a dual boot with Linux as my daily driver and Windows for my radios.

Time to go shopping, Dale
PCs are so cheap right now if you use Amazon look at their refurbished models.
Amazon Refurbed

Something like this would be fine for programming scanners.
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF High Performance Business Desktop Computer, Intel Quad Core i5-4590 upto 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD (boot), DVD, WiFi, Windows 10 Professional

dkcorlfla

PCs are so cheap right now if you use Amazon look at their refurbished models.
Amazon Refurbed

Something like this would be fine for programming scanners.
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF High Performance Business Desktop Computer, Intel Quad Core i5-4590 upto 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD (boot), DVD, WiFi, Windows 10 Professional
That's a lot of computer for sure. I need to research how/if pre-installed Windows can be moved from the SSD to the HDD. That way I could have a crazy fast booting Linux distro on the SSD and still have access to Windows when I need it.

dkcorlfla

See this thread for more suggestions on a lower cost Windows PC:
Best Cheapie Laptop For SDS-200 & Sentinel
Thanks for the reply and info. I placed an order for the HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF above as I don't really like laptop computers and needed a replacement for my main desktop that quit working but I do want to investigate the Sentinel software. My plan is to clone the pre-installed Windows 10 using AOMEI BackUpper and their partition software to the HDD and leave a lot of space for the Linux home dir. on the HDD. I would then install Debian Bullseye on the SSD. Should make for a crazy fast Linux computer with the option to boot Windows 10 when I need it for my radio programing.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply and info. I placed an order for the HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF above as I don't really like laptop computers and needed a replacement for my main desktop that quit working but I do want to investigate the Sentinel software. My plan is to clone the pre-installed Windows 10 using AOMEI BackUpper and their partition software to the HDD and leave a lot of space for the Linux home dir. on the HDD. I would then install Debian Bullseye on the SSD. Should make for a crazy fast Linux computer with the option to boot Windows 10 when I need it for my radio programing.
If your new pc comes with Windows 10 S, you would not be able to install programming software. In that case, a quick search on Google will give you the steps needed to switch from a Windows S to normal Windows, which will allow you to install whatever you need.

Dog

If your new pc comes with Windows 10 S, you would not be able to install programming software. In that case, a quick search on Google will give you the steps needed to switch from a Windows S to normal Windows, which will allow you to install whatever you need.
The item he purchased comes with.
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit – Multi-language supports English/Spanish/French.