programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitchin1

i have a pro-651 it can hold 20 channels. is there any advantage other then orginized to programing the 20 channels and scanning all of them vs putting every thing on 1 channel. my second question is when i programing truck talk groups i see sites. should i select all citys or only a few city's. what are sites.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
That scanner will actually hold almost 38,000 objects, which are similar to traditional channels. I'll suggest this as it covers trunking, sites, and talkgroups well for people who are new.

I'll also suggest this manual as it is easier to follow along with than the original

Also knowing the system and area you are trying to monitor would be helpful.

skitchin1

i live in bay city mi. i usally listen to bay city and Saginaw. midland never comes in.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
So it looks like everything from what I can tell is on MPSCS. According to the database Saginaw and Midland are both simulcast sites. That scanner won't handle simulcast well but you may be far enough away from those sites that it won't be a problem. What sites do you currently have programmed in? Not all sites carry all traffic so that may be why you aren't hearing midland. Or you may be out of range of those sites depending on how the system is set up.

skitchin1

if i put all my 794 talk groups on one channel does that effect performance. or should i split them up. will a scanner scan multi channels at the same time or does it go channel 1 then 2 then 3.

tvengr

Well Known Member
A scan list is not a channel! A channel is the same as a conventional frequency. If all of the talkgroups are on the same trunked system, it will not slow down your scanning by splitting them into separate scan lists. What do you mean by multi channels?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
i live in bay city mi. i usally listen to bay city and Saginaw. midland never comes in.
So do I, good to have you Bay Cityian!
Way I setup my scanners is bay county is on 1, MBS on 2, Saginaw on 3, City-County public works on 4, Tuscola on 5, Midland on 6, Marine on 7, MPSCS-Wildcard on is 8, Arenac is on 9.

I sent you a private message.

skitchin1

A scan list is not a channel! A channel is the same as a conventional frequency. If all of the talkgroups are on the same trunked system, it will not slow down your scanning by splitting them into separate scan lists. What do you mean by multi channels?
i did not know if a scanner works by scanning all 20 trunk/talk groups/convental at the same time and what ever one hit first get broadcasted or if it just scan group 1 contents then group 2 contents and so on.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Good to have a fellow Bay Cityian! So look at that private message I sent and I can answer all you questions and more. :cool:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
i did not know if a scanner works by scanning all 20 trunk/talk groups/convental at the same time and what ever one hit first get broadcasted or if it just scan group 1 contents then group 2 contents and so on.
Ron can give you good info.

The model of scanner you have is a complete change in how you configure a scanner. Plus, most of what you mentioned wanting to listen to is on the statewide trunked radio system, called MPSCS. A trunked radio system, especially one that covers a large geographical area, is a different type of scanning.

You will have to learn a few things, so you can achieve your scanning goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.