• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ProGrammer Vs RPM pro's and con's

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Been using ProGrammer near 2 decades, just wondering if it would be worth the switch going to RPM ?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It all depends on your needs and what radios you are using. Beyond that.... If it ain't broke don't fix it certainly comes to mind!

merlin

No needs, just tinkering. Programming is mainly for M-RK edacs 800Mhz and Jaguar 700pi, the later with provoice and AEGIS.
Another puzzle is I thought cloned radios with conventional were simplex and clear and could talk to each other, or do I need a system controller or repeater.
If the radios I have can't talk to anything, they are good as broke.
Just looking for differences in software. ProGrammer is nit-picky when it comes to specific radio types. no auto ID or such, that would help a lot.

TDR-94

RPM doesn't afford any new features or programming changes over Programmer for those older radios. They will program exactly the same using RPM. They are just supported on RPM.

merlin

What of the part ' Another puzzle is I thought cloned radios with conventional were simplex and clear and could talk to each other, or do I need a system controller or repeater. ' A number of radios I have are from the same system and thought some channels were talkaround.

Prospect62

As long as you know how to create effective personalities, you probably won't need RPM. If by chance you need to read radios programmed by someone else who has used RPM, you might need to upgrade (although there are ways around it).

I've been getting by with Programmer just fine, if I encounter a radio that has been programmed with RPM (and therefore I can't read it) I just force my own personality to it with Programmer and it will take it and "downgrade" the radio back to Programmer. As has been said, there isn't really anything about RPM itself that is superior to the latest versions of Programmer. And I've never found Programmer to be "nit-picky" about anything if you take your time and know how to use it.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
As long as you know how to create effective personalities, you probably won't need RPM. If by chance you need to read radios programmed by someone else who has used RPM, you might need to upgrade (although there are ways around it).

I've been getting by with Programmer just fine, if I encounter a radio that has been programmed with RPM (and therefore I can't read it) I just force my own personality to it with Programmer and it will take it and "downgrade" the radio back to Programmer. As has been said, there isn't really anything about RPM itself that is superior to the latest versions of Programmer. And I've never found Programmer to be "nit-picky" about anything if you take your time and know how to use it.

Ditto to the above. If Programmer works, there's no need to spend the fairly large sum of money to upgrade to RPM. Apart from a few minor differences they're both basically the same.

Most of my older stuff around here (M7100, P7100) uses RPM, but those are going away; the system we run on will be implementing Radio Authentication, and Harris has stated they have no plans to do a feature upgrade to add that to the older radios (x7100, x5100, etc). Once those are gone RPM2 will be the only Harris software I need to fool with.

merlin

My latest batch of M-RK radios show MRKII and programed with a later version of programmer (RPM?)
Sadly my version of programmer has no option for 'new personality' . No problem rolling back the radios otherwise.

merlin

Another issue is this version of programmer (18B) claims to work on a channel to channel basis but can't find this feature anywhere in the program.
If only a user manual for programmer was available.

carcarjg

OpenSky > P25
My latest batch of M-RK radios show MRKII and programed with a later version of programmer (RPM?)
Sadly my version of programmer has no option for 'new personality' . No problem rolling back the radios otherwise.
Odd my R18B showed it. I use R20C and RPM14C now....So I might not be correct but I'm fairly certain its there.

Status
Not open for further replies.