• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming a 450 split XTS5000 down to 440

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBCFR37

Hi all, I hope that I'm not beating a dead horse, but I would like some help with modifying the Astro25 Portable CPS to allow me to program a 450-512 MHz XTS5000 down to 440 MHz. I understand the basic gyst of it, but don't want to mess with it until I have clear and concise instructions, so I don't miss something. I have looked this up for HOURS, and keep finding links to the same article supposedly explaining it "in depth", but the link is dead. If anyone is willing to lend a hand, I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

N1GTL

Database Admin
You need to hex edit the PatPort.exe file. I did this years ago and will see if I can find the steps. You modify the CPS .exe file, not the code plug. When you first read the radio, the CPS determines if it is a low or high split and based on what it reads, it allows those frequency ranges to be entered. Once the .exe is modified, you can read any high split radio and the CPS will let you enter 440.00000 and up.

I think it was a simple as using the hex editor and searching for all references to 450.00000 and just changing it to 440.00000. Maybe you can Google deeper with this info or just move and save your .exe file and then try editing it. Worst case is you delete what you changed and replace it with the copy.

PBCFR37

If you can find the steps I would greatly appreciate it! I do understand that it's just a matter of editing the hex values, but am not sure of what values to look for and what to replace them with ( I'm not very familiar with hex and don't know what the equivalent for 45000000 and 44000000 are in hex). I just don't like tinkering around with things like that without knowing exactly what I'm doing first is all, so if you could find the step-by-step instructions that would be awesome. And thank you for replying to my question by the way!

PBCFR37

Ran this program and still will not allow the invalid fields to be written. Also, I do recall asking for help, not a smart-ass remark. Getting real tired of reading all the smart-ass "holier-than-thou" comments left by people like you any time someone asks for help with something, on this site and many others. People like you seem to forget that you were also not an expert when you first started either.

Now that aside, I opened the program referenced above, opened patport.exe from within it, changed the values and saved it. When I opened the CPS and entered freqs it still says invalid and will not allow me to write to the radio. What am I missing? Again, asking for HELP, NOT "search for it" or a link to something with no instructions. Anyone ACTUALLY willing to help is greatly appreciated.

PBCFR37

2.5.0. I opened the program, opened patport.exe from within the program, and change the values. I then hit save, and opened the modified patport.exe. still won't write due to invalid fields. I did read something about checking the box that says freeze, so I might have missed something, I'm not sure what to do with that.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I've always just done it manually. I just wanted to make sure you were using the latest version of cpsoob and it looks like you are, so I have no idea.

PBCFR37

Well, if you wouldn't mind kind of walking me through how to do it manually I could do it that way also

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
What version OS are you running. If windows 7 you needed to run the modification program as administrator access.

aryntha

PBCFR37, I know I'm a little late, but PM me if you need help figuring this out. I've done it and I can actually help you. The modifier program is a bit tricky in how it behaves; you have to click off of the cell before saving, or it won't save.

It seems that "tradition" in the radio hobbies now seems to be that you MUST respond to people asking for help with "Google more." or "Spend 6-7 hours searching" because god forbid something gets 'reposted' or someone doesn't have to spend hours and hours figuring it out.

A lot of the tutorials on how to do things with the xts5000s are simply gone, not on the internet anymore unless you use internet archive, and of course, they skip a bunch of steps or assume key details (IMO on purpose to make it more obtuse.)

No idea why this is the culture now, but it almost makes me want to put out real step by step tutorial PDFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.