• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming a Connect Plus system

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob

Hello all,

I found a local connect plus system in my area and would like to program it into my radios. I have the system link below and was wondering if there is enough info to put together a channel. I don't know much about capacity/connect plus.

TuWAY Communications Trunking System, Various, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

Thanks
You will need one of the newer scanners that is able to decode DMR. I believe the Whistler is one such radio and there may be others.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
You will need one of the newer scanners that is able to decode DMR. I believe the Whistler is one such radio and there may be others.

My uniden scanners do very well on DMR systems both the P2 and HP models handle DMR. There is a fee to.upgrade the radio to do DMR but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

krazybob

My uniden scanners do very well on DMR systems both the P2 and HP models handle DMR. There is a fee to.upgrade the radio to do DMR but it's well worth it in my opinion.

What do they do D-Star, AllStar, P25, DMR, and NXDN? My question is not intended to be sarcastic. As an amateur radio operator with an extra class license it amazes me how many people use hotspots in their cars to access repeaters using various software approaches on Raspberry pies and whatnot. You can still hear them through the repeaters as if they were actually transmitting but my overall point is that it would be nice if somebody would declare a standard and stick to it. Even on HF there are now several types of digital voice.

In my mind DMR (MotoTrbo) shows the most potential. When properly set up and used with regional or global on Channel 1 and local on Channel 2 users just pick a talk group and carry on. If it's an international group they're talking around the world. The same can be done with Dstar but Dstar repeaters tend to have less sensitivity (1uV out of the box) but may be upgraded and very useful. But the vocoder used is 10 years old now. DMR uses the AMBE+2 vocoder but ETSI doesn't specify the vocoder. This may potentially be an issue to some users I suspect. The main point of the newer technology is that they use 6.25khz channels.

The question is do you really need to decode DMR? Not many public safety agencies are using it. They use either P25 or NXDN. NXDN is already supported by Icom and Kenwood in the commercial world and I'm really surprised that they did not port it over to amateur. It has excellent audio quality.

At the end you're going to have to decide what scanner to get and whether or not it's going to be upgradable because standards have not really been established yet. The biggest downfall to all of these is that they require either the public internet or private VPNs to interconnect sites.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
What do they do D-Star, AllStar, P25, DMR, and NXDN? My question is not intended to be sarcastic. As an amateur radio operator with an extra class license it amazes me how many people use hotspots in their cars to access repeaters using various software approaches on Raspberry pies and whatnot. You can still hear them through the repeaters as if they were actually transmitting but my overall point is that it would be nice if somebody would declare a standard and stick to it. Even on HF there are now several types of digital voice.

In my mind DMR (MotoTrbo) shows the most potential. When properly set up and used with regional or global on Channel 1 and local on Channel 2 users just pick a talk group and carry on. If it's an international group they're talking around the world. The same can be done with Dstar but Dstar repeaters tend to have less sensitivity (1uV out of the box) but may be upgraded and very useful. But the vocoder used is 10 years old now. DMR uses the AMBE+2 vocoder but ETSI doesn't specify the vocoder. This may potentially be an issue to some users I suspect. The main point of the newer technology is that they use 6.25khz channels.

The question is do you really need to decode DMR? Not many public safety agencies are using it. They use either P25 or NXDN. NXDN is already supported by Icom and Kenwood in the commercial world and I'm really surprised that they did not port it over to amateur. It has excellent audio quality.

At the end you're going to have to decide what scanner to get and whether or not it's going to be upgradable because standards have not really been established yet. The biggest downfall to all of these is that they require either the public internet or private VPNs to interconnect sites.

As far as the Uniden line of scanners is concerned they will decode P25 Phase 1 and 2, DMR, and Provoice. The new Whistler line the TRX 1 and 2 also offer NXDN as well as the above mentioned digital voice modes excluding Provoice. As far as voice quality and simulcast distortion issues go I really can't compare them as I don't have the new Whistler models (yet :) ). I can say that whistler includes DMR and NXDN from the start no need to buy a upgrade, but whistler does not offer Provoice and if your in a area with a old digital EDACS system Uniden is the only choice same as if you need NXDN only whistler offers that digital mode at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if uniden offered a paid update in the future. Bottom line if your going to be listening to a p25 simulcast system my Unidens have been more than adequate and out performed the XT series by leaps and bounds when it comes to LSM at least in my area.
Hope this clears it up,
Bob

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Is this for scanning with a Motorola radio or for scanning with a scanner? Being in the Motorola forum, I'm assuming a Motorola radio. Connect Plus is Motorola's first generation trunking system for DMR. It is similar to Capacity Max in that it uses one time slot as the control channel but differs that it it proprietary to Motorola (unlike Capacity Max which is based on the Tier III standard).

Long story short, there is no easy way to monitor a connect plus system without a scanner. It requires a separate CPS so not many have tried to come up with a non-affiliate method for scanning connect plus with a Motorola radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Is this for scanning with a Motorola radio or for scanning with a scanner? Being in the Motorola forum, I'm assuming a Motorola radio. Connect Plus is Motorola's first generation trunking system for DMR. It is similar to Capacity Max in that it uses one time slot as the control channel but differs that it it proprietary to Motorola (unlike Capacity Max which is based on the Tier III standard).

Long story short, there is no easy way to monitor a connect plus system without a scanner. It requires a separate CPS so not many have tried to come up with a non-affiliate method for scanning connect plus with a Motorola radio.

Unless RAS is enabled couldn't you momitor the system passively similar to the P25 line of radios hidden tall group method. I would imagine if you threw the con plus system in the radio and then attached the talkgroups to a conventional channels Scan list. In theory it should work if you have the right CPS and Options enabled in your radio. But with RAS enabled all bets are off you will either need a valid radio radio for that system . In which case a scanner is a much easier solution to moto trbo. Also if you can put together a simple sdr radio with the sdr usb sticks sold on ebay and amazon you could also use DSDPLUS to decode the system as well for a fraction of the cost of a scanner.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I found a local connect plus system in my area and would like to program it into my radios. I have the system link below and was wondering if there is enough info to put together a channel. I don't know much about capacity/connect plus.

TuWAY Communications Trunking System, Various, Pennsylvania - Scanner Frequencies

Thanks

All the information needed is available in the RR DB listing. I am assuming you will use a DMR radio vs. a scanner since this is a Motorola thread. I've had good luck programming the Pen Argyl frequencies twice, once for each slot, and adding the talk groups to an RX Group List in my VX-534. Give the Tannersville site frequencies a try.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Thank you! I am using an XPR4550/7550. I assume the DEC is the Group code? I just need to guess the time slot and colour code.

Steve
WX3PMC

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I am using an XPR4550/7550. I assume the DEC is the Group code? I just need to guess the time slot and colour code.

Steve
WX3PMC

Yes, use the TGID number under the DEC column. I'm not familiar with Moto programming software for the DMR radios. If you can, your best bet is to program each frequency twice, once using each slot. Then add all the talk groups to an RX group list if you can.

If you program 5027100 on 463.7375 using slot 1 color code 3, you will miss traffic on slot 2.

Allentown Site uses color code 1
Pen Argyl Site uses color code 2
Tannersville uses color code 3

Project25_MASTR

Unless RAS is enabled couldn't you momitor the system passively similar to the P25 line of radios hidden tall group method. I would imagine if you threw the con plus system in the radio and then attached the talkgroups to a conventional channels Scan list. In theory it should work if you have the right CPS and Options enabled in your radio. But with RAS enabled all bets are off you will either need a valid radio radio for that system . In which case a scanner is a much easier solution to moto trbo. Also if you can put together a simple sdr radio with the sdr usb sticks sold on ebay and amazon you could also use DSDPLUS to decode the system as well for a fraction of the cost of a scanner.

The hidden TG method, assuming you are talking about building a conventional channel and adding the TG from channels 17-32 into the scan list, wouldn't work. TRBO CPS won't physically let you place more channels in a zone than you have configured for in the channel changing method (i.e. more than 16 channels when the rotary knob is set for the channel). The second issue, Connect Plus and conventional have two independent scan lists since all Connect Plus functions are performed through the option board.

As stated above, best bet would likely to add a personality for each time slot (assuming it's not more than 16) and set the RX group for the interested talk groups.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
The hidden TG method, assuming you are talking about building a conventional channel and adding the TG from channels 17-32 into the scan list, wouldn't work. TRBO CPS won't physically let you place more channels in a zone than you have configured for in the channel changing method (i.e. more than 16 channels when the rotary knob is set for the channel). The second issue, Connect Plus and conventional have two independent scan lists since all Connect Plus functions are performed through the option board.

As stated above, best bet would likely to add a personality for each time slot (assuming it's not more than 16) and set the RX group for the interested talk groups.
Hey I learn something new every day. I am not very familiar with the trbo CPS as I have only had a couple of occasions to play with it. Separate scanlists for connect plus and conventional is definetly a game changer. That's a interesting way if programming motorola came up with hopefully all works out for the OP.

Project25_MASTR

Hey I learn something new every day. I am not very familiar with the trbo CPS as I have only had a couple of occasions to play with it. Separate scanlists for connect plus and conventional is definetly a game changer. That's a interesting way if programming motorola came up with hopefully all works out for the OP.

It's partially because Connect Plus is controlled through the GOB. In TRBO CPS Zone 1 has to be for the GOB (with the option board option checked). All 16 channels must be present on the zone and they generally just get left at their default values. Then you load the firmware to the option board for what you wish to do with it (LTR, Privacy Plus, Connect Plus…don't know if Capacity Max is via the option board) and then use the Connect Plus CPS to program the Option Board. When the radio reboots, it essentially mounts and boots off the option board (not really, just an easier way of understanding it).

The kicker, the option board overrides all other normal functions (key mapping, service mode, etc).

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Yes, use the TGID number under the DEC column. I'm not familiar with Moto programming software for the DMR radios. If you can, your best bet is to program each frequency twice, once using each slot. Then add all the talk groups to an RX group list if you can.

If you program 5027100 on 463.7375 using slot 1 color code 3, you will miss traffic on slot 2.

Allentown Site uses color code 1
Pen Argyl Site uses color code 2
Tannersville uses color code 3

Thank you Sibley, I appreciate it!

RayAir

RAS isn't a concern for Connect Plus as radios on the system (legit subscribers) are authenticated to the system controller with their physical serial number. If the number isn't in the controller, the radio won't be accepted.

Unless it's a smaller system with light traffic trying to passively monitor with a MotoTRBO radio usually produces lousy results.

Status
Not open for further replies.