Programming a Digital Frequency into a Uniden Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescue20

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Might be right in front of my face but I can't seem to figure it out. I have no problem programming pagers, scanners and radios. But digital seems to stump me. I was able to read a radio to get the information I needed for the frequency and I was able to program it no program into a radio. Not exactly sure how I got it to work lol but anyway now I would like to have it in my Uniden scanner but can't figure out how to get it programmed in properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Might be right in front of my face

If it's your 346 Scanner, refer to the Easier to Read Manual

That may be an ANALOG only scanner.

"Trunk Tracker III Operation - follows conversations on analog Motorola, EDACS, EDACS SCAT, and LTR trunked radio systems, including systems in VHF, UHF, 800 MHz, and 900 MHz bands. This scanner can't monitor digital systems. "

Looking at his recent postings he has a Uniden BC346XTC.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If it's your 346 Scanner, refer to the Easier to Read Manual

That may be an ANALOG only scanner.

"Trunk Tracker III Operation - follows conversations on analog Motorola, EDACS, EDACS SCAT, and LTR trunked radio systems, including systems in VHF, UHF, 800 MHz, and 900 MHz bands. This scanner can't monitor digital systems. "

Thanks for the info!
Yep, the BC346XT is an analog only scanner.
Hello,

Might be right in front of my face but I can't seem to figure it out. I have no problem programming pagers, scanners and radios. But digital seems to stump me. I was able to read a radio to get the information I needed for the frequency and I was able to program it no program into a radio. Not exactly sure how I got it to work lol but anyway now I would like to have it in my Uniden scanner but can't figure out how to get it programmed in properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
While you might be able to "program" the frequency into the scanner, if it's digital, you won't be able to actually monitor anything.

Notes on programming a frequency can be found in this page

But, again, if the frequency is digital, you won't hear anything other than noise.

Rescue20

Premium Subscriber
Yep, the BC346XT is an analog only scanner.

While you might be able to "program" the frequency into the scanner, if it's digital, you won't be able to actually monitor anything.

Notes on programming a frequency can be found in this page

But, again, if the frequency is digital, you won't hear anything other than noise.
I have a home patrol 1 and 2 as well. I’m trying to program it into the HP2

u2brent

OAMPT
If conventional digital, (NON TRUNKED)
Create an FL or add to an existing one.
Create a New System..
To create a "one frequency trunk" System (First select the right flavor type P25/DMR/NXDN).
Create a Department for TG's. (Add TG's if known) Use ID search mode to find TG's..
Create a Site to add the frequency.

nautlynch

I hope this question is allowed on this thread: I have two 346xt and they are worthless for listening to LE since it's all digital and encrypted. I was wondering about what I read that an analog radio can lock on a digital signal but there will be no modulation - just silence. If this is true then can an analog radio capture "close call" but silently also? I was hoping I could use this like the old Bearcat mobiles that would alert when a handheld was broadcasting to car to dispatch or something of that sort. I've tried listening to other bands but they seem to be boring in comparison. I have two bricks that would not be easy to sell in this area.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
If this is true then can an analog radio capture "close call" but silently also? I was hoping I could use this like the old Bearcat mobiles that would alert when a handheld was broadcasting to car to dispatch or something of that sort
Best answer I can give you is a definite "maybe"! RF energy is rf energy and "digital" is just a form of modulation, so your scanner may be able to pick up the carrier. Some digital modes such as DMR are more like pulses than a steady carrier. It's also possible you may receive digital audio which will sound like static. You may have to fiddle around with your scan steps and/or do some interpolation if you want to figure out the exact channel frequency.

nautlynch

hehe definite "maybe". As far as notification goes, I think you can program the scanner to display lights and/or a tone to notify Close Call has been activated. Other than that, there may be a certain length of signal duration that is necessary for close call to work. Pulses probably won't activate close call but i'm just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.