Programming a Motorola XTS5000 for Bell FleetNet

Dmack_23

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, I’m hoping someone can help me.

I have an XTS 5000 that I had paid someone to program, but it wasn’t done right. I have all the software and system key. I have gone through the code plug that was on my radio and have tried to clean it up but haven’t had any luck. I have programmed other radios and SDR’s so I have some experience! This Motorola has so many options and I don’t want to program it wrong and have issues or affiliate on the network.

If anyone can help me please send me a message or direct me to a forum that has some instructions or guidance. I’ll even pay someone to help me. I just really want to learn how to do it myself as it has become a mission for me to figure out. lol
Cheers D

Dmack_23

Premium Subscriber
I turned it on and the display went blank. :ROFLMAO:
It doesn’t have a screen lol

The radio had extremely low volume and not picking up much in the form of the communications. I am trying to listen to FleetNet Zone 1 OPP Highway Safety Division. I tried changing the site control channels to my area thinking the code plug on my radio was set for a different area or maybe it’s a old file. I checked the talk groups.

The file on my radio has a lot of zones and sites and it looks to be a hodgepodge of different areas. Nothing is labeled. So, I really wanted to try and reprogram it clean and correctly. I have searched RadioReference for a good guide to setting up Bell FleetNet on a Motorola, but I haven’t been able to find what I am looking for.

I have programmed other scanners to listen to OPP, but this Motorola XTS is a different beast and there are a lot of features. I’m trying to do this right and I am looking for guidance or someone I can pay to work with me to have this programmed right.

Cheers
D

Cameron314

It doesn’t have a screen lol

The radio had extremely low volume and not picking up much in the form of the communications. I am trying to listen to FleetNet Zone 1 OPP Highway Safety Division. I tried changing the site control channels to my area thinking the code plug on my radio was set for a different area or maybe it’s a old file. I checked the talk groups.

The file on my radio has a lot of zones and sites and it looks to be a hodgepodge of different areas. Nothing is labeled. So, I really wanted to try and reprogram it clean and correctly. I have searched RadioReference for a good guide to setting up Bell FleetNet on a Motorola, but I haven’t been able to find what I am looking for.

I have programmed other scanners to listen to OPP, but this Motorola XTS is a different beast and there are a lot of features. I’m trying to do this right and I am looking for guidance or someone I can pay to work with me to have this programmed right.

Cheers
D

Umm you should have someone authorized by the system owner program it. I feel like this is fairly obvious but I guess it needs to be said.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You won’t find any how-to type guides specific for FleetNet as using commercial radios as a scanner is frowned upon. Do lots of people do it? Absolutely. But it’s just kept somewhat on the down low because if something is setup wrong there are two potentially bad outcomes: 1, the radio causes issues on the system unintentionally, or 2, the radio is detected and disabled.

What I would suggest is reading up on non affiliate scanning (commonly referred to as NAS). Then read it again… then try to make sense of what is in your codeplug.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
You won’t find any how-to type guides specific for Fleetnet as using commercial radios as a scanner is frowned upon. Do lots of people do it? Absolutely. But it’s just kept somewhat on the down low because if something is setup wrong there are two potentially bad outcomes: 1, the radio causes issues on the system unintentionally, or 2, the radio is detected and disabled.

What I would suggest is reading up on non affiliate scanning (commonly referred to as NAS). Then read it again… then try to make sense of what is in your codeplug.

To add to that. If your TX light is flashing you’re transmitting and you did it wrong and that’s a bad thing.

Dmack_23

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your responses!
I have read up and watched videos on NAS. I have a good understanding of what needs to be done so it doesn’t call home and affiliate. That being said, as you can tell from my post I am far from an expert. The way this code plug was done is really confusing, and some of the program settings from what I can tell, are not in use for my version of radio. I was hoping to try and cleanup the code plug I have.

I am willing to pay someone who is qualified to do a custom code plug. Maybe I should trade or get a radio that is more suited for a newbie that doesn’t carry the risk of getting me in trouble if I program something wrong. I just get obsessed sometimes. I'm really wanting to figure how stuff works and I was wanting to learn how to do it the right way!

I really enjoy listening to what’s going on while I’m driving around working. I found learning how to program radios over the years have been a fun hobby. But again I’m not looking to get into trouble for doing something wrong and I appreciate everyone’s advice.

Cheers D

gary123

I think you will find most members here will not offer to do the work for you. As the member in post 6 said read up from several sources about NAS. RR tries to keep away from hand holding as well.

What useful suggestion I can make in a small attempt to prevent a potential interference to the system or any system for that matter is this.
- set up a conventional personality for the scanning.
- assign a scan list to that personality
- place that personality in a zone by itself
- set up the radio controls so that only that zone is available
- research the system Sites and TG you want.
- refer to all the NAS documents and videos for processes

Finally I do not condone programming like this being done but am aware of the realities. You have done the right thing by asking for help rather than just blowing stuff into the radio in hope it functions. Your R&D may offer other options to get it set up right.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thank you for your responses!
I have read up and watched videos on NAS. I have a good understanding of what needs to be done so it doesn’t call home and affiliate. That being said, as you can tell from my post I am far from an expert.

How, exactly, did you get a system key for this radio system if you don't understand how to program them?
I know people can make bootleg system keys, but that's a really bad idea, especially if you are not understanding how to program the radio to prevent it from affiliating.
If your radio accidentally affiliates, it can screw up things for public safety users that need access to the system to do their jobs.
Someone who doesn't belong on the system should not be messing with it.

The way this code plug was done is really confusing, and some of the program settings from what I can tell, are not in use for my version of radio. I was hoping to try and cleanup the code plug I have.

Don't take this personal, I just need to point out some things here:
- I run a trunked system. I go through great pains to make sure unauthorized users cannot access the system.
- You admit you are "far from an expert", however you have determined that the codeplug is not set up correctly.
- How did you come to this conclusion?
- Done incorrectly, you can take resources away from public safety users. That'll put someone's life at risk.
- Not sure about Canada, but here in the USA, people have been busted by the FCC for doing this.
- There is no explanation that will get you out of trouble if they catch you with a radio that has their system key in it and took resources away.
- Motorola software, especially for trunking systems, is very confusing. It took me a long time to get comfortable programming radios on my own systems and not messing things up.
- These are not hobby radios and it really appears to us that you are in over your head.
- Most experienced radio techs are not going to help you out with this.
- There is a really good reason why we tell people to "just buy a scanner".

I am willing to pay someone who is qualified to do a custom code plug.

That would be the radio shop. And they are not going to program a radio on a system like that unless you are a paying customer and have a really good reason to be on there.

Maybe I should trade or get a radio that is more suited for a newbie that doesn’t carry the risk of getting me in trouble if I program something wrong.

Best thing you've said so far.
Like I said, there is a really good reason why we tell people to buy a scanner.
Yeah, radios can be programmed for non-affiliate scan, but it's not for those new to this and if you make a mistake, you'll have issues.
A scanner will give you a lot more flexibility and will not get you in trouble.

I just get obsessed sometimes. I'm really wanting to figure how stuff works and I was wanting to learn how to do it the right way!

Getting obsessed and getting in trouble are dangerous.
I understand the desire to learn this technology, but you need to be super careful. It's not a playground that one should be playing on without some experience and understanding that you can mess things up for legit users if you do it wrong.

I really enjoy listening to what’s going on while I’m driving around working. I found learning how to program radios over the years have been a fun hobby. But again I’m not looking to get into trouble for doing something wrong and I appreciate everyone’s advice.

Cheers D

Advice: Get a scanner.