Programming a Pro96 Scannerf

Status
Not open for further replies.

jani6567

Premium Subscriber
By the time I am finished with this information on programming, I think I might be ready to work for Radio Shack. I have several questions about programming. I have a Pro 96 Scanner and a 20-047 Programming cable.

I just purchased my Dell computer last September so it is new. I have a Windows Basic 32-bit OS. The problem that I have experienced first is with the program cable. When I follow the directions that came with the cable and the CD to install the drivers, the instructions for installation didn't come up and when I went into Device Manager the port Com 4 came up with an exclamation point on it. When I unplugged the cable, the line in DM completely disappeared. I don't know how to install the drivers and if I don't the cable will not work. I also don't know whether I should use the 3" adapter with it. Radio Shack says yes. Don Starr says no if it is considered to be used with PSR-500 family scanners. The catalogue # on mine is 20-526. So I would like to know about that too.

I have downloaded Starrsoft.com Win 96 software on my computer and still am in the trial which is to expire tomorrow. I also paid to become a premium member on Radio Reference for 90 days. I have a lot of time on that.

I live in Monroe, Michigan and wish to use the scanner for Fire/Rescue, Local Police/Michigan State Police and air ambulance from Toledo, Ohio an U of M Ann Arbor, Mich. I live less than a block from the heli-pad and the hospital so I am hoping that I can get this scanner working.

The last thing that I can't use is the help program with Starrsoft. The file has a big yellow question mark on it and I tried what Don said in his comments but I think that Windows Vista Basic doesn't support some 32-bit help files.

I would appreciate any helpful solutions that I can get. I have been working on this for a long time with no results.

texascanuk2

I had a problem programming my P95 and could not get it to work. My son-in-law came over and found that "Vista" does not support the RS interface. We went back to an older XP and everything worked out.

He also tried his Vista at home and the same thing happened.

jani6567

Premium Subscriber
Programming 96 Scanner

That's what I am going to do is go over to my son-in-laws and use his OS Windows XP. I am really hoping that it will work. I sure have tried everything else. Thanks for your reply.

jani6567

Premium Subscriber
I have a new question for programming. I got my cable to work and the help menu in Starrsoft and downloaded that software data to my scanner. I then went to Radio Reference to download the frequencies and got stumped. I put in my information on the main page and clicked start and brought up the other answers and did not know how to fill in the second page that came up with the information. I clicked Import This System and nothing happened. Please help. I am almost there.

texascanuk2

sorry but I'm not able to help any more. You are more advanced than me. I have to get help myself. Hopfully someone can come on line and help you. Good Luck

John

jani6567

Premium Subscriber
Thank You John. I am unable to put the correct information in the second page of Radio Reference. I filled in my name and password, country, state, county and system MSPSC and brought up all the other information on that page and then a second page came up asking for bank, channel and additional information and I don't know what the system is asking for. I did go under the sites and talkgroups check boxes and checked all the boxes I wanted frequencies for and then clicked import system and nothing happened. Please help. Jan

kcoleman

...then a second page came up asking for bank, channel and additional information and I don't know what the system is asking for.

Jan.. this is asking you where on your scanner you would like to import the frequencies to. You can select any of the 10 banks of your choice, name the bank and select the starting channel to place your imported frequencies, if you so choose.

Once you do this and select done, you should then be able to see the imported information from Win96.

Good Luck,
Keith

jani6567

Premium Subscriber
Thank You Everyone for you help. I now have all the local frequencies programmed into my Pro 96 scanner and it works great. The final thing that really helped me after I got the program cable's driver updated and the software working is an e-mail from Don. His reply was very clear and made everything work for me. Have a good day. Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.