• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming a Vertex vx-350 w/ce86,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napsterbater

Hey guys I'm a volunteer firefighter and currently attempting to program my radio. I have most of it setup and figured out two things I need confirmation on is Channel spacing and 2-tone signalling.

Ok all of the frequencys we use are 20khz channels, now i know this radio can do 25/20/12.5khz bandwidth but what i need confirmation on is the "transmitter deviation" theses are the option:

W5: Max. Deviation = ±5 kHz.
W4: Max. Deviation = ±4 kHz.
N: Max. Deviation = ±2.5 kHz.

now im guessing im gonna use "W4" for 20khz channels and W5 and N would be for 25khz and 12.5khz, am i right?

Also for the 2-tone, the pagers have 2 tone set up in them a Long single tone for a station and a 2-tone for individuals, now i have set "Tone Pair #1" for " 746.8Hz" for 1st and 2nd and I'm gonna put my individual tone as pair 2 and make it the "Secondary Page Pair" in the "2-tone parameters" menu, i have also set Primary Group Call and Secondary Group Call to disabled. Now is this the right setup to get the radio to Open the squelch and Beep when it receives ether one of the tones?

Also say one of my individual tones has my Station tone, for example 1st tone is the station tone but short and 2 is a different tone could I set pair 1 as 1st 746.8Hz (Station/Personle 1) and the 2nd as the correct 2nd tone could i then goto the "2-tone parameters" menu and set "Primary Group Call" to tone 1 and it open and beep for both?

Napsterbater

Just noticed something on the radio, for testing i had the radio set for "On Duty" so you could here radio traffic on the page channel but if the tones went off it would beep as well. Well i was listen to traffic and I heard a tone that sound close to my station so i switched the radio really quick to 3 (the pager channel) but I couldn't here anything i could see the light flashing and the signal meter at 4 bars but nothing trough the speaker. according to the help section in CE86 it says on duty is supposed to let you here all traffic then beep if the configured tone goes off, and off duty it would stay silent till the tones go off. so am i missing something or is there a bug.

spc0806

Premium Subscriber
What's a good software for programming the VX-350? I'm currently searching for the right program and I'm sort of at a loss on where to find it.

spc0806

Premium Subscriber
Do you know where I could procure a copy of this software? I contacted Vertex Standard via their website and they said they don't sell the software because it's readily available on the internet, but I haven't found much information regarding the VX-350 I believe it's a new model for Vertex Standard.

rescuecomm

Napsterbater,

I guess you figured out the narrow/wide deviation thing. You can check the FCC database for the frequencies and whether it is narrow band or wideband. Everyone is supposed to be narrow band 2.5khz by 2012 if the FCC holds its course.

Bob

Napsterbater

spc0806:

Your right it is a pain it took me about 3 months after I had my radio to find it, and it is because this radio is new (less then 9 months?).

The Antenna Farm has the cable and software here ( http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...d=2467&zenid=8573683fbe0f2570160e42ec72f0c590 ).

rescuecomm:

TBH i just realized iv had my radio set for "W5: Max. Deviation = ±5 kHz." on our 20Khz channel and it seemed to be fine, but I changed it to "W4: Max. Deviation = ±4 kHz" and did a Radio check with dispatch and it didn't seem any different.

p.s: Here our FCC details http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=KNAI721 just to make sure I am setup right and not crazy =P.

rescuecomm

The W5 setting is for 20F3E, which is the normal FM mode. If a freq is listed as 11F3E, then you should use the N or narrow setting. The difference between the 5 khz and 4 khz is small and you would probably need a service monitor to see the difference.

RS

Napsterbater

So if W5 is for 20Khz what do you use on 25Khz channels? or when would you use W4.

I'm just making sure a have my radio setup for optimum transmit and receive.

Thanks for your help BTW.

rescuecomm

Are you VHF or UHF? There are no VHF channels that wide, so I am presuming you are UHF. The UHF channel spacing was 25 kHZ, but is now 12.5 khz, and is soon to be 6.25 Khz. VHF channel spacing were 15 Khz, but now are 7.5 khz.

UHF
The 25 khz channels use the 5 khz deviation also.
The 12.5 khz channels use the 2.5 khz deviation.
The 6.25 khz channels to come will probably use a digital mode or the 2.5 khz deviation

VHF

The 15 khz channels use the 5 khz deviation.
The 7.5 khz channels use the 2.5 khz deviation

Everyone is supposed to be using the 2.5 khz deviation by 2012.

Bob

Napsterbater

rescuecomm said:
Are you VHF or UHF? There are no VHF channels that wide, so I am presuming you are UHF. The UHF channel spacing was 25 kHZ, but is now 12.5 khz, and is soon to be 6.25 Khz. VHF channel spacing were 15 Khz, but now are 7.5 khz.

UHF
The 25 khz channels use the 5 khz deviation also.
The 12.5 khz channels use the 2.5 khz deviation.
The 6.25 khz channels to come will probably use a digital mode or the 2.5 khz deviation

VHF

The 15 khz channels use the 5 khz deviation.
The 7.5 khz channels use the 2.5 khz deviation

Everyone is supposed to be using the 2.5 khz deviation by 2012.

Bob

We are using VHF here is the Callsign details ( http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=KNAI721 ) All of our channels are marked as 20K0F3E. Thanks again for everyone's help I'm not experienced with this.

donrcollins

spc0806:

Your right it is a pain it took me about 3 months after I had my radio to find it, and it is because this radio is new (less then 9 months?).

The Antenna Farm has the cable and software here ( http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...d=2467&zenid=8573683fbe0f2570160e42ec72f0c590 ).

rescuecomm:

TBH i just realized iv had my radio set for "W5: Max. Deviation = ±5 kHz." on our 20Khz channel and it seemed to be fine, but I changed it to "W4: Max. Deviation = ±4 kHz" and did a Radio check with dispatch and it didn't seem any different.

p.s: Here our FCC details http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=KNAI721 just to make sure I am setup right and not crazy =P.

I've tried the link, but the site has been down. Is there another place I can download the CE86 program? I have a lot of the software from http://www.directorpatch.com/Vertex Programming.htm but I still need the programmer for the VX-350

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Time to start this up again.

I'm trying to program a VX-354 UHF and can NOT get it to program. I am using a V2.01 and every time I try to upload, it looks like it is going, but then when it finishes, and I click on the OK, the screen reverts back to the original default UHF D screen (the correct band plan). If I download the codeplug that is in the radio, I get ERROR_2 on the display. Also using the USB cable and the com port is set up accordingly.

HELP!

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
First let me say the vx-350 is a great choice for a volley FF because of it's long battery life, simplicity and two tone paging built in.

Are you using the USB cable from Vertex or a clone? Regardless the cable must be installed with the correct drivers in the proper manner before it will work.

After it is installed look in the hardware manager and see which com port is was assigned, make sure that jives with the comm port selected in CE86.

I have found that it is easier to troubleshoot two tone by having two radios one being setup to transmit the correct tones. Pick a test channel on MURS or FRS and set the power to one watt while testing. It helps to know exactly what the tones values are and their correct timing. Someone should know. Also the radio will not beep on "hearing" the correct tones unless you program it to. These radios tend to pass some of the second tone through, so I find it redundant to add a beep.

I'm also taking for granted that you have in your possession an authorization letter from your fcc license coordinator. Just a disclaimer.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Actually, I'm programming it up for GMRS.

I'm using the USB cable, but I guess I don't have the correct drivers for it. Any idea where to get them?

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
If your cable has the prolific chipset then try these drivers.

Welcome to Prolific

My comment about the letter was meant for the thread originator who is using his radio on a public safety network.

I will assume that you have a GMRS license :)

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I ran the Prolific program, now I'm getting nothing but "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM#)" error messages. :(

I got the cable (USB), radio & sw from The Antenna Farm, so I'm sure they should be good. (Famous last words).

GMRS was official today (see signature line)!

Last edited:

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
The antenna farm adapter is good. I have one. You should have been given a CD with the drivers. Use the correct driver if possible. You may have to uninstall the drivers you have and start over.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.